Kiper on Dolphins Draft (From ESPN chat) | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Kiper on Dolphins Draft (From ESPN chat)

newlownorder said:
Kiper puts too much into the combine and senior bowl and it shows. Hagan needs to get more consistent?? If he knew anything he would know that Hagen is one of the most consistent WR's in this years draft, more consistent than Chad Jackson. 3 years, over 1,000 yard seasons each of the 3 years.....that's consistent Mel.

Well quite a bit of this board puts too much stock in the combine, thats how they know Allen will not have any injury problems from the hip. All teams seem to put too much stock in both that is why Hagan fell so Mel is not alone in that assertation.

If Mel was always right I'd care, but he isn't, so I don't. Just because a player dosen't knock your socks off in college doen't mean he won't in the Pro's and vise versa. He also refuses to add Daunte, Manny and Cleo to our draft when he did his evalutions, It's obvious Mell doesn't do his homework so if he refuses to grade accordingly why should we stress over his inept evaluation??

I wonder what Mels opinion was of Tom Brady before he was drafted in 2000. I'm sure he didn't see Tom as a 3 time SB winner and a two time SB MVP in his first 5 seasons. It's one thing to know college talent and how they play at that level it's another to not only predict where they land, but how they play in the system they are drafted into. We seem to worry incessantly over "experts" opinions and the funny part is Saban doesn't seem to share Mels opinion....obviously.

Mel did however point out something I agree with. We only had six picks and we were limited to what we could do. Saban can't manipulate the draft without leverage and we used our leverage on other players before the draft, he'll get them next year.

DreamWeaver said:
This is garbage...last night on ESPN, Kiper gave Denver a B+ because "you cannot grade their draft without factoring in the Javon Walker deal"...That is funny, since I rarely see Miami getting high marks for using a second rounder on Daunte.

Thats what I dont understand when the draft gurus started grading the picks most of them never accounted Culpepper for our 2nd and wright for our 5th. But for some odd reason they just LOVE the Broncos draft because of them spending their 2nd for J Walker, wtf? :confused:

feelthepain said:
If Mel was always right I'd care, but he isn't, so I don't. Just because a player dosen't knock your socks off in college doen't mean he won't in the Pro's and vise versa. I wonder what Mels opinion was of Tom Brady before he was drafted in 2000. I'm sure he didn't see Tom as a 3 time SB winner and a two time SB MVP in his first 5 seasons. It's one thing to know college talent and how they play at that level it's another to not only predict where they land, but how they play in the system they are drafted into. We seem to worry incessantly over "experts" opinions and the funny part is Saban doesn't seem to share Mels opinion....obviously.

Nobody's always right. Nobody thought that Tom Brady was going to be a top level NFLK qurterback. Do you think anybody thought that Kurt warner was going to be good enough to be MVP. How many teams cut Priest Holmes before he became a star? How many teams cut Reubon Droughns before he came around. Saban should be using alot of information besides his own judgement to make his picks, I'm sure there are very few people in the NFL that make thier decisions without other's input. New England did not know how good Brady was because they would not have waited till the sixth to draft him. There are so many factors that can not be judged that there will plenty of players that people will be very wrong about. So if you want somebody that is alway's right than you will respect nobody's opinion in the NFL or media because that guy does not exist.

Winbaby#23 said:
How did the Bills screw us by picking Whitner?? Allen is better than Whitner!!

you have no clue, do you?

Roman529 said:
Mel is totally in love with Donte Whitner....WHY?, I don't know. He was not worth moving up a great deal just to get him (like the Bills did).

Did we move up to get him? Better think about that again.

dlockz said:
I guarantee you that Kiper makes more money per year than any front office guy in the NFL.
Which doesn't necessarily make him any more of an expert than they are.
dlockz said:
He thought both Jeff George and Rich Mirer were bad early picks and was very right.
This means nothing without some sort of context as to whether he's right a higher percentage of time than others. Like they say, even a broken clock is right twice a day.

i know that we got culpepper with our 2nd, but it was hard watching all of those good player go in the 2nd

no you didint move up to get him, although you did move up to get that DT that was ranked 1 spot behind our 5th round pick!

ROCaMOB said:
Considering you got Culpepper with your 2nd I would say it was an above avg draft. I think he's right about Allen-- def a good pick with Whitner off the board. The Bills not only screwed themselves by picking Whitner but they screwed you too.

Allen is a more talented player than Whitner. Let's watch their respective careers.

dlockz said:
\

i don't think they screwed us but I think we would have took Whitner since he was not coming off of injury and is just as versatile.

Incorrect. Saban targeted Allen. The Dolphins had trade offers, but they didn't want to trade down too far because they were afraid they would lose out on Allen.
If Whitner and Allen had both been on the board the Phins would have still chosen Allen. He was just as productive and is a better athlete.

Hagan is okay in th third but needs to get more consistent

what are u talking about kiper? he caught 94% of all passes thrown to him and had steady even production throughout his career. i swear, kiper thinks he knows everything.

Finfan8 said:
no you didint move up to get him, although you did move up to get that DT that was ranked 1 spot behind our 5th round pick!

According to who's rankings? Yours?:lol:

nolimit said:
Did we move up to get him? Better think about that again.
No but YOUR goats could have traded out of the 8th position and probably STILL drafted Whitner with extra pics!!
Way to go merv....
:up:

Marino1983

Back
Top Bottom