Kiper thinks Smith is best bet for Miami | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Kiper thinks Smith is best bet for Miami

arsenal said:
yes but any decent quarterback in the mountain west conference should be able to do that against the defenses there... im not saying he sucks, but hes not a top 10 guy in this draft to me... i dont think hes got a good arm, his out patterns seem to die on him, again hes got a fiedler arm to me...

and making reads before the snap is all well and good in the mountain west conference, but its a whole new ball game in the SEC and especially in the NFL...

Keith....Lefors did the same thing....20 tds/3 int

J Tes said:
Yeah really. You just don't get an opportunity to draft a potential franchise QB very often. If Miami passes on Alex Smith and he turns out to be just that, and Feeley fails, we'll all be killing Saban for this. Plus this draft is deep at RB and there will be someone available for us in the 3rd. I dunno, I love Ronnie Brown, but it just seems A LOT easier to find a RB than a QB. Just dont want to pass this opportunity up.

When you don't have any?

KB21 said:
I disagree with your assesment of Alex Smith. His arm may not be a howitzer the caliber of Andrew Walter's, but he has a good arm. I've watched him on film drive the ball with good velocity. His intermediate throws have very good zip on them, and velocity is a bigger indicator of arm strength than distance.

The most impressive thing about Alex Smith is that he makes all his reads before the snap. He can look at the defense and know where the opening is going to be. That's a quality only special quarterbacks have.

This guy completed 65% of his passes and had a 7:1 TD:INT ratio.

O' I thought you were talking about the real deal LeFors....you know the guy with the best rating in college football something like 74% comp rating....20 Td's...only 3 ints....thats close to 7-1...in my book. And he won't cost a first round pick....something smart....like what the Pats would do...right?

fishypete said:
O' I thought you were talking about the real deal LeFors....you know the guy with the best rating in college football something like 74% comp rating....20 Td's...only 3 ints....thats close to 7-1...in my book. And he won't cost a first round pick....something smart....like what the Pats would do...right?
While I would rather draft Brown with the number 2 the more I think about it when you have a chance to draft a "franchise" QB you should. I don't know the exact numbers but you chances of hitting a homerun with a mid to late round pick are a lot less likely than drafting one in the 1st and that guy becoming a great player. That just my opinion.

pcfin said:
If Smith is there and Saban does not take him and eventually becomes a star, the fans won't let that down. I still hear the Randy Moss talk. Fans don't forget.

It goes both ways...If Saban takes Smith, and he's a bust, but Ronnie Brown turns out to be a star, it would be the same story.

I'm glad all I have to do is watch the games and post on the forums. :lol:

As much as I didn't think I'd say this, I'm starting to lean a little towards Smith over a RB or WR, though I'm always skeptical of underclassmen QB's. I've not given up on Feely, but I'd rather end up in the San Diego QB situation than what we've had for the last few years.

ether79 said:
While I would rather draft Brown with the number 2 the more I think about it when you have a chance to draft a "franchise" QB you should. I don't know the exact numbers but you chances of hitting a homerun with a mid to late round pick are a lot less likely than drafting one in the 1st and that guy becoming a great player. That just my opinion.

First...neither Smith or Rodgers are franchise QB's....some teams don't have them rated higher than a 2nd round pick....every year the're players who are hyped up....and they are two of those players. If you look at the QB's that have won Superbowls in the last 10 years....my guess would be most of them weren't 1st round picks....and some may have been F/A's.

fishypete said:
First...neither Smith or Rodgers are franchise QB's....some teams don't have them rated higher than a 2nd round pick....every year the're players who are hyped up....and they are two of those players. If you look at the QB's that have won Superbowls in the last 10 years....my guess would be most of them weren't 1st round picks....and some may have been F/A's.
Well, like I said thats just my opinion of the situation I personally don't know what teams have them rated. As for the superbowl thing Warner and Brady are who I'm sure you're talking about. I think Warner was a little more product of a perfect storm of system and great players surrounding him and Brady that goes into my HR statement. It's gonna be a cold day in H@** before you get a 6th rounder playing to level again. IMO

ether79 said:
Well, like I said thats just my opinion of the situation I personally don't know what teams have them rated. As for the superbowl thing Warner and Brady are who I'm sure you're talking about. I think Warner was a little more product of a perfect storm of system and great players surrounding him and Brady that goes into my HR statement. It's gonna be a cold day in H@** before you get a 6th rounder playing to level again. IMO

Better get your thermals ready....:wink:

fishypete said:
First...neither Smith or Rodgers are franchise QB's....some teams don't have them rated higher than a 2nd round pick....

link? not some link where some guy on a messageboard assumes this.

J Tes said:
Yeah really. You just don't get an opportunity to draft a potential franchise QB very often. If Miami passes on Alex Smith and he turns out to be just that, and Feeley fails, we'll all be killing Saban for this. Plus this draft is deep at RB and there will be someone available for us in the 3rd. I dunno, I love Ronnie Brown, but it just seems A LOT easier to find a RB than a QB. Just dont want to pass this opportunity up.

I can very readily see that EXACT scenario happening if we pass on this opportunity to get a top QB. VERY easily. We absolutely HAVE to go QB. We will likely never see this kind of opportunity to get a top QB again.

OK fishypete, just WHO, pray tell, is your "can't miss" sixth-round Brady clone diamond-in-the-rough that is gonna fall to us and somehow escape the notice of 31 other teams?

WHO?

NAME, please?

*silence*

That's what I thought. There ISN'T one.

Let's get Smith NOW, while we can.

I don't think Smith or Rodgers will be great QB's. The keyword here is GREAT, they'll be good but not great. But that's just me.

KB21 said:
I disagree with your assesment of Alex Smith. His arm may not be a howitzer the caliber of Andrew Walter's, but he has a good arm. I've watched him on film drive the ball with good velocity. His intermediate throws have very good zip on them, and velocity is a bigger indicator of arm strength than distance.

The most impressive thing about Alex Smith is that he makes all his reads before the snap. He can look at the defense and know where the opening is going to be. That's a quality only special quarterbacks have.

This guy completed 65% of his passes and had a 7:1 TD:INT ratio.

With all due respect..........

The only difference between McPherson and Smith is 30 draft picks.

J Tes said:
On the other hand, if Saban stands pat at #2 and selects Smith and he turns out to be a flop, then the same people will be on his @ss for not selecting whom ever the first player drafted him is that turns out to be an all-pro.
What if Frye gets picked in the mid to late 2nd and turns out to be better than Smith or Rodgers? Then a bunch of fans will be saying why didn't Saban trade down and get some extra picks and use one of them on Frye?
There will be a lot of 20/20 hindsight whom ever we end up drafting, there always is.

Back
Top Bottom