Kiper's Updated Draft | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Kiper's Updated Draft

benson is the better runner... forget this bull about "he doesn't fit in linehans system".. you think if minnesota had jamal lewis linehan would have been like damn, i dont want this great powerful running back on my team he doesn't fit my mold?

get the **** outta here, any OC wants the best RB in the world to open up the passing game... we have a good back to catch balls in gordon, lets get the best runner in the draft, because thats the position we are trying to fill RB, not pass catcher or blocker, but running back...

I saw Benson against Michigan and was horribly disappointed. He was not explosive at all.

If Saban is looking for his kind of guy, I agree he will take Rodgers, Smith or Brown. If he trades down, Cadillac is a possibility.
I can't see Benson at all. I look for Cedric to fall all the way to Arizona.

feelthepain said:
Whatever, as soon as C.Benson does his private workout Kiper will say we will draft him #2 overall. I think Kiper should stick to evaluation and thats all. Where is it written that he is known as a prognosticator? I think this is where I lose respect for the guy. I love reading his evaluations but then I don't want to read where people will go because Kiper doesn't know squat about the teams he thinks will draft these players. Just what he hears reported on ESPN. He is a college guru not an NFL guru.Just tell us who is good coming out of school and where they rank on the board and stop trying to predict who will take them.

"Who the hell is Mel Kiper!" said in my best Jim Harbaugh imitation. This quote is second only to "playoffs, playoffs!"

LarryFinFan said:
How can you say that about Benson...the scouts and experts are basically torn between the two, with a slight edge to Brown. Besides, there is a more sound reason for Brown over Benson if we go RB at #2...

Benson is a power runner with either poor hands or untested hands, however you want to put it. Linehan wants quick, route running backs that can run draws and catch out of the backfield. He doesn't want a between-the-tackle runner, which Benson is. Linehan wants his backs to provide pass protection in his vertical game, which is Benson's weakest area (again, could be from not being asked to do it at Texas, but a weakness none the less). Brown fits all the areas that Linehan wants in a back right now, without any questions about catching or blocking. The knock on drafting Brown is that we have his clone on the roster right now...(Gordon). Not quite as talented as Brown, but very similar in stature and strengths as RBs.

All this said, I would take Brown over Benson but let me go on record as saying that if we had the opportunity to draft Benson 3 years ago, RW posts would not have been taking up space on this forum...Benson is the perfect back for NTs offense. I would be fine with Benson as our back and feel that Linehan could adjust his offense to fit that type of back.

I still think trading down for add'l picks is our best option...of course that takes a partner and that's a whole other thread...

The experts may be split, but I’m not. It’s my opinion that Benson is the best prospect since Ladanian Tomlinson. Benson is a power runner, no question. But to limit him to just that is wrong. The guy can do more then just run over people and run between the tackles. He has a great explosion and shifty feet and bounces outside ala Ricky Williams. The guy can block as well. Benson is not as complete as Brown. It’s true Brown can do all those things better, but it’s not as if Benson is horrible in either category. Benson is a better pure runner then Brown, period. No scout or “expert†will say otherwise. Benson is a combination of Edge and Ricky. Watching as many Texas games I have over the last few seasons, it’s obvious he’s more then what you’re saying he is. When he goes outside he does it with quickness/speed and power. Also, one of the most important and not tested (Workout/Combine wise) aspects of Benson’s game is his vision and patience to allow blockers to open up holes. As KB21 said, Benson has more explosion and hits the holes with force and quickness.

His hands are neither poor or untested. He catches whatever is thrown his way. The offense doesn’t use him as a receiving RB like Auburn uses Brown. They’re in completely different offenses. Ahman Green is one of the best receiving backs in the league but they don’t use him in a role where he runs routes.

I’m also very much interested in how you know what backs Linehan wants. He had 3 different backs in his offense, but if he could of had a Ricky Williams, Edge, Alexander, do you think he would have said they don’t fit my system? Even when all 3 backs were healthy/available, Moe Williams carried the ball more then either of these guys, and he’s more or less a power back.

Benson is a total package. It gets lost because Brown is the most complete back in the draft. Benson can do everything you ask him. Up the middle, outside, break tackles, score touchdowns, and make big runs, catch passes and block.

Back
Top Bottom