Kippy, Chan or Norv have never been the problem.... | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Kippy, Chan or Norv have never been the problem....

Mondo_Man

Wooooo!!!!
Reaction score
After all the back and forth and arguing over how Norv didn't have the talent, or Jay sucks, or the OL had injuries, or Norv is too conservative, etc, etc, etc. I decided to do some reasearch on the subject specially since Kippy Brown is mentioned in the same breath as Olivadotti (remember him?)

In 1999, Marino had the worst statistical year of his career (not counting the year he tore his aquilles). Damon Huard stepped in and did pretty freakin' good. Here are those stats:

Marino 12td 17int 55%comp rate 67.9 rating
Huard 8td 4int 57%comp rate 79.8 rating

Despite Marino sucking and having a talentless young qb in Huard, the Dolphins were 13th in scoring and 21st in overall offense. This was J Johnson's last year.....hmmm Wandstedt time:

2000 scoring 16th overall offense 27 Chan Gailey
2001 scoring 8th overall offense 24 Chan Gailey
2002 scoring 12th overall offense 24 Norv Turner
2003 scoring 17th overall offense 24 Norv Turner

Maybe Kippy wasn't so bad, or maybe Wandstedt is the real problem here. Kippy's offense actually moved the ball a bit and was mid range in scoring.

Thoughts?

Yeah, I think it's a combination of...

#1 A lack of talent at the skill positions
#2 J.J. and Wanny's conservative style and stubborness to open it up
#3 Being undisciplined (penalties and turnovers)

I guess it doesn't matter who the OC is., but that's a very depressing thought for the 2004 season. I guess it means that since Wanny is still here..Miami has no chance. Please, SAY IT AIN'T SO!

Originally posted by CirclingWagons
You guys should re-hire Tom Olividatti...

Gotta have the QB for his system..it was about the QB in his day, but we do have the RB to compliment his system...but we don't have the OL....the Larry Littles, Big Bob and those guys don't exist on this OL.:rolleyes:

That 8th overall in scoring is deceptive for 2001, too. Isn't that the year Olindo Mare set the record for field goals in a season?

The problem is that Dave has invested so many high draft picks into his defense and they rarely make an impact (Jamar Fletcher, Eddie Moore). Since they don't turn out he has had to use our free agency money on reliable back up plans (T-Buck).

The offense has been neglected for far too long. Thank God for Spielman being the major influence in this year's draft. Could we use a safety or a linebacker? Sure we could. But I'll bet the first two picks, regardless of what round they are, will be used to help out our offense.

Originally posted by MDFINFAN

Gotta have the QB for his system..it was about the QB in his day, but we do have the RB to compliment his system...but we don't have the OL....the Larry Littles, Big Bob and those guys don't exist on this OL.:rolleyes:
He was the defensive coordinator...and my favorite one as well:lol:

What will break the trend?

Wanny said that he'll open up if he feels that he has the players to make it happen. Is that a line of bull? If Miami upgrades the O-line, gets a WR or two and gets a better QB..will Wanny stop sitting on the ball with the lead and go for the throat? Will Wanny try to put teams away early with some gutsy play-calling? We shall see.

I just don't see any proof for Wandstedt to change. He has been the same coach his whole life and he will continue to do what he thinks is right. Unfortunately, he's never been a "winner" and thus I have no confidence in him at all. It's ok to be conservative; but at least have balls and a killer instinct. Jimmy is conservative but always had that instict to know when to go for it on 4th down, etc.

Originally posted by Gladsadmad
What will break the trend?

Wanny said that he'll open up if he feels that he has the players to make it happen. Is that a line of bull? If Miami upgrades the O-line, gets a WR or two and gets a better QB..will Wanny stop sitting on the ball with the lead and go for the throat? Will Wanny try to put teams away early with some gutsy play-calling? We shall see.

Wanny won't be calling the shots on O to the extent he was in the past. That's gonna be Collier.

I think the first few games of the season will be the true teller. I'm expecting basically the same offense base system, with tweaks and a slightly deeper threat. Definitely not expecting a Marino O, nor a traditional Fiedler O.

Well, if Miami adds alot of speed to the offense (Northcutt/Dez White or one of the top rookies) it could make it easier for them to make big plays.

It also wouldn't hurt if he had more players that had heart unlike Sam Madison.

In fact, I offer more proof as to why we will not be successful next year because of Wandstedt (unless he seriously relenquishes control).

In 6 years with the Bears, here are his stats:

pts off. yards offense
1998 25th 21
1997 28th 27
1996 26th 22
1995 8th 10 (only good year; but defense sucked 9-7 team)
1994 24th 26
1993 24th 28

Ironically enough, in 1992, Ditka's last season in Chicago, the Bears offense with pretty much the same guys were 16th in scoring and 8th in total offense.

WHY DID WE RESIGN THIS FOOL I ASK?

Originally posted by Mondo_Man
In fact, I offer more proof as to why we will not be successful next year because of Wandstedt (unless he seriously relenquishes control).

In 6 years with the Bears, here are his stats:

pts off. yards offense
1998 25th 21
1997 28th 27
1996 26th 22
1995 8th 10 (only good year; but defense sucked 9-7 team)
1994 24th 26
1993 24th 28

Ironically enough, in 1992, Ditka's last season in Chicago, the Bears offense with pretty much the same guys were 16th in scoring and 8th in total offense.

WHY DID WE RESIGN THIS FOOL I ASK?

I've been asking myself that since the day he was first hired. I just don't understand it.

That said...I hope he proves why this year.

Wanns was calling the offensive plays?

That 8th overall in scoring is deceptive for 2001, too. Isn't that the year Olindo Mare set the record for field goals in a season?

The problem is that Dave has invested so many high draft picks into his defense and they rarely make an impact (Jamar Fletcher, Eddie Moore). Since they don't turn out he has had to use our free agency money on reliable back up plans (T-Buck).

The offense has been neglected for far too long. Thank God for Spielman being the major influence in this year's draft. Could we use a safety or a linebacker? Sure we could. But I'll bet the first two picks, regardless of what round they are, will be used to help out our offense.

Back
Top Bottom