Knight And Dolphins Finally Talking Contract.....and Some Tidbits..... | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Knight And Dolphins Finally Talking Contract.....and Some Tidbits.....

DIRTYCASHHOLDIN

Practice Squad
Reaction score
Hello To ALL.... It was sure nice to be back at Dolphin Camp today..... and from the looks of this board......it looks like the rather small crowd that I saw today in the stands....must have been many of you all who have already given the most up-to-date camp reports. I too....really liked what I saw out of some of the young guys today....and in some old cases.....like seeing JUNIOR SEAU in agua today.....it really put me in a much better mood than I had been lately.....as I personally was in New York and saw the draft "live" at the Theatre in Madison Square Garden. Yes.....I was there...and quite frankly....I was not very happy at all....at first. But you know what.....after further review....this draft may start making more sense to everyone as these players start showing their talents to the fans who probably still see the likes of WAYNE HUNTER, TYRONE CALICO, KELLY WASHINGTON, and a player I really liked....S MIKE DOSS....just sitting there for the Dolphins to take before the common name of EDDIE MOORE was called. Could we of traded down and gotten MOORE? Certainly. Did we draft any "name" players in this draft? No. Was it perhaps.....the most unexciting draft picks... guys that most fans had to go back in the index of your draft guides....just to see what page that player had a capsule on? Sure....it was. It was a very puzzling draft for the Dolphin fans......but not if you are on the other side of this thing.....and that means the Dolphins Scouting department.....lead by Rick Spielman....who were all in a frenzy after the last pick....DAVERN WILLIAMS was hauled in. Lets all give this draft its due course..... just because the names and all the stats that go with those name players did not come our way.....that does not make it a horrendous and horrible draft....as I first thought it was. Judging on a first impression basis today......I was happy with certain things that I saw out there.

EDDIE MOORE.... was getting personal side-work instruction from JIM BATES out there today....and MOORE...although not that big and strong...did look like he was going in all the right directions...and showed nice fluid strides. MOORE will be counted on the special teams at first.... but the reality of his selection is the fact that the Dolphins were not happy with not only DERRICK ROGERS....but also....MERLON GREENWOOD's overall performance. The Dolphins are hoping that MOORE will show the very strong pass-coverage skils that he exhibited in college....and he could spell Greenwood in pass-situations. MOORE will definately be lurking down on GREENWOOD's shadow....they want to see more production out of that position....they do not see MOORE starting the season....but they do see him Contributing in that strong-side role...they want to see how much he can pick up in this system in a short period of time....and so far....he seems to be reacting very well.

T WADE SMITH.....was working at RT....and he was singled out by WANNY today for his efforts. He is not your typical tackle.....built more like MARK DIXON.....but you can notice how he gets that first step out of the box....from what little I did see of him....I did see what the coaches liked when they drafted him....this is a former TE....who is indeed...mobile and athletic.

G TAYLOR WHITLEY......will work at both guard sports for now....and they will see where he will end up. He does have the bulk that you are lookihg for.....this is a guy that super-scout GIL BRANDT was very high on....to make me feel much better about this pick... played with SETH McKinnney....who told the DOlphins lots about the work-ethic of this big man. He should be counted on to back up solidly..at GUARD...on either end. I have heard that this is tough kind of player....does not play soft...and has a mean streak.

TE.. DONALD LEE.... dont call this guy RONNIE LEE. I agree with those who have said his style resembles McMICHAEl. This was evident today.....he made some nice catches down the middle. He is wearing #85....and from what I am told.....this is a guy who could actually jump ahead of veteran MARCO BATAGGLIA.....if he can show that his pass-catching is better than advertised. LEE was known as a tremendous blocking TE in college....but was extremely under-used in the passing game. And from what I saw today.....I do not understand why he was not used in the MSU passing game.....this could be a real sleeper.....he was impressive.

WR....JR TOLVER.... You want to talk about first impresssions? TOLVER was like JR TOLKIEN today....he was the LORD OF THE CATCH....if not the Rings. There has to be a reason why a guy can catch 128 balls from a QB named LON SHERIFF and not get drafted until the 5th round... but this was a very pleasant observation today.....TOLVER. He is bigger and faster than advertised....and this guy caught some balls today....that were really...not well thrown balls. An over-extended leaping catch down the sidelines brought his name out early on in the practice...and his name kept getting noticed all day. An excellent route runner...with great hands....his speed was in question....but you can see that he has the awareness....Wannstedt was definately noticing #87 today.

COREY JENKINS.....small but fast....and the coaches like his attitiude. This guy will be depended on in the TWAN RUSSELL mode role....backing up but the DOlphins are looking at him as a hard hitting demon on special teams. He must make his mark on the special teams to solidify a roster spot....he is more of a project at LB....but he has the work-ethic to make it....the DOlphins will give him plenty of time...they know he has a lot to learn at LB.....

DT....DAVERN WILLLIAMS.... got rave reviews from the coaches at small powerhouse school....TROY STATE...and the Dolphins drafted him to compete for the backup-backup-DT role.....he will be competing with DT DARIO ROMERo in particular...for that last bench spot..... He is definately a long-shot to make the team....but we shall see if he rises up the charts....like othere Dt's have in the past...he needs to get noticed quickly....could be a practice squad guy when it all starts....a project for now.

T TIM PROVOST..... also worked at RT....and looked like he was not lost or really struggling out there. He actually looked bigger than I thought....and he will be competing for a back-up spot as well. Looks like he and GREG JERMAN will be fighting it out for a spot.....they almost look like the same guy out there as well...very similar in style and build. This was another guy that after further review.....got some hight praise from the so-called experts...like Gil Brandt....

Some other news.....as I was sitting up there with ALEX MARVEZ, DREW, and Robert Bailey looking at all of this....

According to MARVEZ...... the DOlphins are now in contract talks with S SAMMY KNIGHT...and the Dolphins are very confident that they can come to an agreement with KNIGHT perhaps....in a few days. The Steelers are now out of the picture....and although Knight went to GREEN BAY for a visit....he would rather play in a warm weather climate. The Patriots are also in the picture....but from all indications....if the money is right....then KNIGHT would want to play here...above all. This looks like a good match.....WANNSTEDT really has told KNIGHT that he wants him on this football team....and if KNIGHT comes here....he will push FREEMAN immediately.....to the shagrin of DREW....of course...who represents and is still trying to get a new contract for FREEMAN at this time. And Drew said that they are not even close.... the Dolphins are not as high on FREEMAN as the agent...that is for sure....

I am not going to name the player.......but one of DREW's clients has told him that there are many players who are not to fond of special teams coach KEITH ARMSTRONG. I have heard there was a major problem last year between both the coach and players who were not brought back.....TWAN RUSSELL and SCOTT GALYON....that was what you would call....swept under the rug. ANd there is some players who believe that there is certain favoritism to the veteran players....rather then giving some of the younger guys more of a role on special teams. This is just something to keep an eye on.....as everyone can see......the special teams is certainly getting a real overhaul this season.....new return men...and some new schemes. It seems there are some "veteran players" in particular who privately are wondering why WANNSTEDT fired MIKE WESTOFF....

On the DERRICK ROGERS situation.... the GREEN BAY PACKERS are the team that would give the DOlphins a draft pick for ROGERS.....if ROGERS agrees once again...to re-structure his current deal that could with incentives....pay him over 2 million this season. The Dolphins are now working with his agent once again....so they can trade ROGERS to...in particular the PACKERS. The CARDINALS are also a possibility... but it seems the CARDS first want to get rid of some of there own guys....like RB THOMAS JONES....whom they have asked if the DOlphins are interested in taking on.

I have heard that the Dolphins have been fielding calls on the availability of RB TRAVIS MINOR....as the Dolphins are not looking to trade MINOR right now.....but other teams....knowing that CHARLES ROGERS......has been brought in...and he is also working as a slot RB.....they are wondering if the Dolphins would be willing to trade him...

The only team that possesses a threat to the DOlphins as far as the BRIAN GRIESE situation goes....is DALLAS. The Dolphins are privately hoping that PARCELLS this week tabs RAY LUCAS up on waivers.....diminishing the chances of him adding yet another Qb on his roster... another reason why the Dolphins let LUCAS go this early.....so he can go to DALLAS.....where he wants to go anyways.

There are many people who are laughing now at ORONDE GADSDEN's agent....MIKE TODD. He is being ridiculed by even the closest players to ORONDE on the DOlphins. The door has not been closed by WANNY at all.....becuause WANNY knows how good of a guy the BIG O is to his teammates. It would be a popular concensus....and win WANNY some kudos in the boys minds....and WANNy has indeed done all he has...and has handled this situation perfectly in most everyone's opinion. Orondes extreme past and loyal freindship to MIKE TODD says alot......but this is an agent who just does not get it....and it is now time for ORONDE to take control of his situation..... The window of opportunity for him....is literally closing..... as the Dolphins have brought in a hoard of young recievers to compete for basically 1 or 2 positions. Oronde has got to wake up....or he is going to be out the league....its really starting to get pathetic to watch his agent start negotiations with anyone at this point. Most people feel that if ORONDE had any other agent but TODD....SPIELMAn would have given up some more money....it is personal....but in this case....SPIELMAN is the winner...and TODD is indeed....the league leading laughingstock agent...

Well....thats it for now.... it was good to be out there.....I will not be able to go to practice tommorrow.....but I should be at the early practice on SUNDAY....

Last tidbit.......I talked to that cheerleader that many of you all like today...... AMBER... How come nobody on this board today....talked about AMBER....she was there....signing autographs.....somebody put AMBER up here again....

And finally.....How about JUNIOR SEAU telling NORV out there today..... "is that all you got" Junior is going to be in an upcoming addition of Sports Illustrated...on his transition....

You remember who was #55 last year.....it was JUSTIN SEAVERNS......and he is back and trying it all over again this camp.. he gave up his #55 to SEAU and in return got some of SEAUS game used jerseys from San Diego....signed by SEAU. Seaverns now wears #56.

Take Care....
I will be around....
DCH

Great news on Knight and all the draft picks...nice post DCH

I hope they don't trade Minor. Minor's definately my favorite depth player on this team. If anyone has to go then let it be Edwards as I would love to see the team mix Minor in with Ricky in a power and speed combo.

I do believe Moore has a real good shot at taking Morlon's spot. Morlon won that role before out of default and is very very mediocre.

Mmmmmmm.... Amber....

yet another reason i wished I lived in South Florida. LOL

Thanks D.
Would you be so kind to give us your opinion as to why you feel that the Fins could have traded down and still obtained Moore?
You sound pretty confident that they could've. Do you know for a fact based on some inside info or are you just speculating? There's been some debates on this but I have yet to see any evidence that he would.

Thanks DCH. I to like Minor and would hate to see him go. Junior to Norv "Is that all you got?" Nice.

Great job DCH keep up the great work! Hope to hear from you again soon! Living up here in NC. It's getting old hearing how good the Panthers are going to be! NOT!!!

Thanks for the info DCH...that's some good stuff...I feel better about the draft everytime I hear more news like this!

...by the way, Is this Amber you mentioned?

clear.gif

I also don't hope we trade Minor, he has always performed well when on the field and in my view he is one of the better backup RBs in the league, and he has a cheap contract as well (although it does run out after this season I believe).

great report DCH thanx.

I hope we can sign Knight and keep Freeman to backup Marion and Knight.

I would hate to see Minor go, but if he has a chance for PT elsewhere we have Rogers, Edwards, Henry and S Irvin. Just seems strange that that is all we have a RB for camp...

My personal feeling on vet WRs, i.e. OG is that we should keep only 3. So if we sign OG he would need to beat out Thompson or McK to make the team. We need to keep some young guys around for the future and to return kicks if Rogers does not do both PR and KR.

Lastly :D

clear.gif

So you did profess my undying love to Amber for me......right DCH?? :)

Back
Top Bottom