Knight Lowers Demands | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Knight Lowers Demands

Originally posted by DOLFANMIKE

Actually Dolfan, if you can't post a list of NFL SS that have the speed to chase down "the leagues Fastest WR's" as you said then what I said about your comments holding no water was exactly on target. SS in the NFL don't have that kind of speed. You are asserting that Sammy is lacking something other NFL SS have. It's wrong. Holds no water.

The Saints are smearing him the way they Did Ricky Williams, Willie Roaf, Kyle Turley, etc....nothing New. Obviously his speed wasn't a liability enough to keep him out of the Pro Bowl...Right? Or to keep him from leading the league in Big Plays...Right?
You might want to actually watch him play, it will greatly help your perspective. But I'll end with this - If he gives up big plays how did he make the Pro Bowl?

LOL, you told me if I do make a list then it would be wrong anyway.:lol: He went to the probowl for two reasons:

1) he had an excellent year (no arguments there)
2) players often get in based on stats and Knight is a stat man.

Dude, for the last time. I never said Knight's not a playmker. I just said hes slow for a safety (and Miami doesnt differentiate between FS and SS so spare the strong Safety verbatim).

Mike, this conversation has become a bit quarrelsome, and were on the same team. The Phins FO is weary of Knights speed; so am I. You, apparantly, are not. How does that "not hold water"

Originally posted by WisconsinFan

well if you get down to it.. both sides of the arguement are right.. Knight is NOT the fastest guy out there,but he always does seem to take the right angles on coverage or when going after the ball. Who gets him is going to get a pretty good player for a good price. The big knock on him last year is that he was getting beat of the short-slants and drop off patterns.

If thats true, then as a Pats fan I must ask that you sign him post haste :happydrin :happydrin

Originally posted by 13isgr81
Just out of curiosity, when you watched Saints games, did Ricky look slow??

Maybe its a New Orleans thing... I mean aren't most people in the state of Loose-ianna are slow anyway? :jk:

Loose? what's so loose about people in louisiana? Or did you mean lose? If that's the case we need to go back to the first grade and learn how to spell again.

Originally posted by Surferosa

LOL, you told me if I do make a list then it would be wrong anyway.:lol: He went to the probowl for two reasons:

Mike, this conversation has become a bit quarrelsome, and were on the same team. The Phins FO is weary of Knights speed; so am I. You, apparantly, are not. How does that "not hold water"

Dolfan, YOU said " He lacks the speed to cath up to the Leagues Fastest WR's" when he is out of position. You can skip - Dance - etc around it all you want......but the fact is No SS or FS in the NFL (or very few) can do that. In fact, even the most agile, and speedy position in the NFL on defense (CB) has very few special players that can achieve that task. Is that true or not?

If you are saying that isnt the case, then provide some examples of SS / FS that can do it. I don't think there are any examples.

I also question how you know why he went to the Pro Bowl when you have said yourself you havent seen him play much.

BTW - Sorry if my tone seems to be argumentive, but we are talking about a player I have coached (HS Football coach for 18 years), followed all through College at USC, and have watched many times in the NFL. I tire of hearing the same critiques on him from the Saints Org. and a few uninformed fans that assume he was getting beat when that likely wasnt the case. He wont get beat in coverage any more than Brock Marion.....I'll bet dollars to donuts on that! He'll make a ton of plays and bring much needed leadership.....especially with he and Marion back there. That's a very bright SS / FS combo.

Last edited by a moderator:
Greg, youre a saints fan. Whats your opinion of him?

Originally posted by Saint Greg

Loose? what's so loose about people in louisiana? Or did you mean lose? If that's the case we need to go back to the first grade and learn how to spell again.

After picking up a few drive thru daquiri's on the way in to New Orleans, I'd say there were PLENTY of "loose" people in Louisiana. Heck, by Sunday night, some of them were so loose they couldn't stand up...:lol:

Greg, youre a saints fan. Whats your opinion of him?

Greg's opinion is much the same as yours and is well documented. Check out last weeks threads.

Settle down there Mikey boy. No need to go ballistic here. We're arguing about Sammy Knight's speed here, a topic which has been questioned by everyone from team player personnel to GM's to coaches. Speilman and Wanny even expressed their concern. So tone down your argument a notch. Stating my opinion "holds no water" is a bit over the top.

Sammy's a risk/reward guy - he makes a lot of big plays; he also gets burned a lot. If there was ever a guy that wasnt black and white, its Sammy. Yeah he works his butt off, and yeah hes a great leader, and yeah he makes a lot of big plays, but hes still considered slow for a safety. You may have already convinved yourself otherwise, and youre entitled to your opinion, but the consensus on this guy is that he has below avergae speed for a safety; therefore, his signing is risky. Thats all Im saying. If that "holds no water", than be it. :rolleyes:

I'd say the only way signing Knight could be considered at all "risky" would be if it came with a high price tag. So long as his salary is in line with out other Safeties, I don't see how there's ANY potential downside to it. He either beats Freeman out for the starting job, or Freeman beats out a Probowler, and we get great depth, and a player to rotate in on obvious running plays. Saying that signing Knight is risky would be like saying that signing Zach Thomas is risky. They have the exact same plus's and minus's.

Let's go bribe Knight with the kind of ladies that live in Miami.

That should be somewhat intriguing ;). I think I spelled that wrong.

The thing that everyone is forgetting (surferosa) is that the saints made him cover one on one. Your safeties should not be man up on any top receivers,he position they are slower and by nature of the position better hitters, so if you rely on your safeties to be man up guys you get beat alot. Freeman did. That is the biggest reason we brought in Tbuck he is a corner, Lowe is being looked at now he is healthy, so that our safeties can be safeties and not man up cover corners in the nickel and dime.

Originally posted by DOLFANMIKE

Dolfan, YOU said " He lacks the speed to cath up to the Leagues Fastest WR's" when he is out of position. You can skip - Dance - etc around it all you want......but the fact is No SS or FS in the NFL (or very few) can do that. In fact, even the most agile, and speedy position in the NFL on defense (CB) has very few special players that can achieve that task. Is that true or not?

If you are saying that isnt the case, then provide some examples of SS / FS that can do it. I don't think there are any examples.

I also question how you know why he went to the Pro Bowl when you have said yourself you havent seen him play much.

Mike, I never made the statement about guarding the fastest WR's in the league. Just reread this entire thread. Look it up yourself.

Your entire premise is based on a sentence that I didnt say. ALL I SAID IS HES SLOW. Thats all. How slow? Again, I dont know. I also dont know the relative speeds each of the 64 starting safeties in the league and wouldnt venture a guess as to whos faster/slower. :rolleyes:

Again, Wanny and Spielman also think hes slow. The Saints think hes slow. Approximately 27 other teams also think hes slow because he happens to be a young, aggressive, fantastic, playmaking football player - and the only reason a team wouldnt want such a terrffic talent on their team is BECAUSE HES SLOW, which is all I said in this thread.

This is the quote youre referring to - "But if he is out of position, he lacks the mobilty to backtrack and make a play"

From that simple statement, you managed to extrapolate that very few strong safeties have the necessary speed and skill to cover the fastest receivers in the league. shocking.

we re not looking for knight to come in and be a cover guy, we want him to come in and be a playmaker at safety. Yes wanny and spiel expressed concern over his speed, but really not overly since we know have 3bckup cb's, oursafeties will stay at safety and make plays and that is where his anticipation skills will come into play, he will not have one on one coverage responsibilty as much as he did with the Saints.

Back
Top Bottom