Kyler Murray Vs. Tall Offensive Line | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Kyler Murray Vs. Tall Offensive Line

TrinidadDolfan

1st Team All-Pro
Reaction score
Ok, much debate has raged over Kyler Murray and his height, whether he can “see” through or over tall linemen. And how effective he would be in the NFL.

Let’s start by saying that he will be measured at the combine at 5’ 9”. I’m pretty sure that’s what we will see.

The Offensive line of Oaklahoma measures in at 6’ 5”, exactly the same as the NFL (and Dolphins) average.

Despite this, Murray has delivered fantastic play and numbers to support. Whatever he does, and how he does it, he has shown that he can dominate in that environment. So I think we can safely put the “vision vs. height” argument to rest.

All that matters now is the debate as to whether he can be effective against the trauma, or be elusive enough to avoid direct hits.

To draw an analogy on this, from the NHL, Gretsky was very small and frail vs his opponents in a very violent sport. Opponents likened trying to lay him out as trying to “hit a rope”. He survived, he dominated.

So yeah, I’m sold on Murray’s ability to dominate in the NFL once he is able to stay healthy.

A big ask? Maybe. But that kid can absolutely dominate with the Berlin Wall in his face. He has proved it

im not worried about it with him. i was at first but after going and watching some of his games im not. he takes good angles in his drops to help him. he had a huge oline in Oklahoma and had no problems.

the best way to disrupt a shorter qb is inside pressure. it hurts guys like brees, but Murray is quick twitch and can move. will it be an issue sometimes? sure. but the kid is a talent that we should risk.

The man has most likely faced this issue since he started football, players in front of him being taller. I'll bet he has his ways to be offective. And obviously by his tape, jeez that kid can play!

Regardless, huge question mark because the NFL is different than College. But, I'm behind it if the admin is. What the hell do we have to lose

Great write up and analogies, Trinidad. I wholeheartedly agree with you and support this stance.

As I said in the other Kyler thread, if the Dolphins have a chance to draft Kyler Murray, then I hope they pounce on that chance posthaste. If not, I get the sinking feeling it will come back to haunt us as another miss in a long line of them over the years.

You get Murray at qb and you'll hear every week how the opposing defense has to game plan to stop him, and the trouble he causes the d-coor, When was the last time you heard that about a Dolphins QB.? Sure the hell wasn't the past 7 years !!!

Haven't viewed Oklahoma Game and the few games I've seen the pass rush were not that bad. So I can't really judge on that. Though feeling is he would do fine.
But,
First our OL will HAVE to Improve significantly.
Second The guy has talent of a Franchise type QB in which we may have an opportunity to pick up. Last observed, We Don't

Whether or not he is what the potential has shown IMO its a player if available definitely worth taking that chance on. There is just to much talent not to....Also doubt the 5'8" more like 5'9"+. to 5'10"

If he turns out good we've done really good... If he's bad and overwhelmed we still have next years draft and possibly add another potential QB star if high enough in the pick and depending on Murrays showing, trade him and pick up a draft pick.

Loss could be a 1st. rdr. probably DL... drag but IMO definitely worth the risk, if even available at 13. We are possibly even looking at having to move up a little, IMO

If we are going to breakdown the merits of individual draft prospects let's do that in the draft forum

I think there's a much bigger difference going from 6'5" to 6'2" than from, say, 6'2" to 5'9" when it comes to field vision. At some point, you just dont see over the line and you're not going to see less by being smaller.

As for the knocked balls, well you're going to have to adjust your offense accordingly but you'll also get more zone looks and sometime flat out eliminate a D player from the play who's sole responsibility will be to spy on him...

Personally, I'm looking forward to the first midget being successful in the NFL at QB position.

Pulling for Murray big time, just hope the Dolphins aren't dumb enough to draft him in the first.

Haven't viewed Oklahoma Game and the few games I've seen the pass rush were not that bad. So I can't really judge on that. Though feeling is he would do fine.
But,
First our OL will HAVE to Improve significantly.
Second The guy has talent of a Franchise type QB in which we may have an opportunity to pick up. Last observed, We Don't

Whether or not he is what the potential has shown IMO its a player if available definitely worth taking that chance on. There is just to much talent not to....Also doubt the 5'8" more like 5'9"+. to 5'10"

If he turns out good we've done really good... If he's bad and overwhelmed we still have next years draft and possibly add another potential QB star if high enough in the pick and depending on Murrays showing, trade him and pick up a draft pick.

Loss could be a 1st. rdr. probably DL... drag but IMO definitely worth the risk, if even available at 13. We are possibly even looking at having to move up a little, IMO

Good thing about Murray is that he has the instincts and quickness to overcome issues on the OL. Of course, a good OL will help any QB. After playcalling, it's the most important way to help your QB, but he's not going to be a sitting duck like Haskins.

I’m warming up to kyler Murray. I think he can be great if he can stay healthy. But I don’t see Grier drafting Murray because he trained under Parcells model of drafting QB who played 4 years with size tangibles etc.

Last edited:
I remember these exact arguments being made about how tall Russell Wilson's offensive linemen were and how it showed he wouldn't have the trouble people feared.

Narrator: They were right.

But Murray is so much smaller than Wilson, height wise and build. I worry about Murray holding up in the NFL.

Back
Top Bottom