L. Booker turning heads and breaking ankles | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

L. Booker turning heads and breaking ankles

phinsfan1221

FinHeaven VIP
Reaction score
http://www.realfootball365.com/nfl/articles/2007/06/dolphins-lorenzobooker-turningheads120607.html Ricky who?

That seems to be general sentiment emanating from both the coaching staff and the small segment of the local fan base that attended the Miami Dolphins ' minicamp this weekend. Granted, the team isn't even wearing pads yet, but if early performance predicts future production, then rookie running back Lorenzo Booker is going to make everyone forget Ricky Williams in a hurry.

Exactly! I told you everyone this when we drafted him, I think he has the potential to be an every down back in a year or so, and if Ronnie does not step up he could be surpassed with the new Barry sanders :) Well im getting over excited there..

I am an FSU fan and he is NOT a Barry Sanders. He was underused and Mis-used under Jeff Bowden. He will be something special.

That article was typical "overhype" of spring excitement. Every team in the league has articles like that spewing forth from fan websites.

Booker certainly has some potential. He has very quick feet. But, the article also said he has "uncanny speed." What? Please. He ran a 4.46 and a 4.55 at the Combine. That's slower than Ronnie Brown's 40 numbers. What was also interesting to me is that at his Pro Day workout - at only 189 lbs, he chose to let his combine 40 #'s stand. You'd think a guy who had great speed would not be happy with those #'s and would want to show an ability to run 4.4 or better - which would boost his draft stock. But, he didn't. That may well be an indication that this is his max speed.

Speed is not everything, of course. What I see in him is a guy who will show some quickness and great moves in short spaces, perhaps make a LB miss on a swing pass in the flat, and he may make some good plays in that area - turning a loss into an 8-12 yard gain - which could be vital on 3rd down plays. But, I don't see him as a real game-breaker who will take it 80 (like Ginn). He has potential - but he really has to show he has breakaway speed at the NFL level. When you have teams drafting OLB's with 4.5 speed and safeties with 4.3-4.4 speed - he's going to struggle to outrun anyone.

I like some of the potential there - but, I will be a bit skeptical of his ability to be a big-play type player until I see it in a real NFL game.

He's got some speed and some quickness to him. When it comes to most runningbacks some have moves others don't, he's a back with moves. Saying that he's going to take Ronnie's job is a little far fetched but i don't think it's totally out of the relm of posibility. Not this year but or next but maybe even the year after that. I don't think anyone thought Ricky Williams was going to be expedanble in NO but that happened.

He's got some speed and some quickness to him. When it comes to most runningbacks some have moves others don't, he's a back with moves. Saying that he's going to take Ronnie's job is a little far fetched but i don't think it's totally out of the relm of posibility. Not this year but or next but maybe even the year after that. I don't think anyone thought Ricky Williams was going to be expedanble in NO but that happened.

That's possible. I remember an interview years ago with Mark Clayton and even he admitted he was more quick than fast. Elusiveness can be just as important, if not more so, than speed.

Every year there are rookies with a lot of ability that are expected to be "role players", but every now and then one of them surprises you and can handle more responsibility. Would be great if L.Booker creates the problem for opposing defenses where "stopping Ronnie Brown" as their primary goal doesn't mean you've stopped the Fins on the ground.

Pretty interesting....I really liked our draft right from the get go...The only pick that confused me was the Lorenzo Booker pick...But after Ricky started smoking again...I realized how great of an offseason our FO is having...Booker shows some great potential and I cant wait to see how he plays on sundays....Go Dolphins...

But, I don't see him as a real game-breaker who will take it 80 (like Ginn). He has potential - but he really has to show he has breakaway speed at the NFL level. When you have teams drafting OLB's with 4.5 speed and safeties with 4.3-4.4 speed - he's going to struggle to outrun anyone.

That is rediculous........ You don't even have to be that fast to break off big runs. Jerome Bettis used to bust some big runs in his prime and he has always been Slow. If you get good blocking, and make one or two people miss then even 4.5/4.6 or slower speed can take it to the house

The great thing about Booker is we have a pounder up the middle bruising back in Ronnie, then we have the quicker, speedier back to bust it outside against the tired LBs. I think it's a great 1-2 punch, having complete opposites style RBs like that.

Back
Top Bottom