L. Booker turning heads and breaking ankles | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

L. Booker turning heads and breaking ankles

That article was typical "overhype" of spring excitement. Every team in the league has articles like that spewing forth from fan websites.

Booker certainly has some potential. He has very quick feet. But, the article also said he has "uncanny speed." What? Please. He ran a 4.46 and a 4.55 at the Combine. That's slower than Ronnie Brown's 40 numbers. What was also interesting to me is that at his Pro Day workout - at only 189 lbs, he chose to let his combine 40 #'s stand. You'd think a guy who had great speed would not be happy with those #'s and would want to show an ability to run 4.4 or better - which would boost his draft stock. But, he didn't. That may well be an indication that this is his max speed.

Speed is not everything, of course. What I see in him is a guy who will show some quickness and great moves in short spaces, perhaps make a LB miss on a swing pass in the flat, and he may make some good plays in that area - turning a loss into an 8-12 yard gain - which could be vital on 3rd down plays. But, I don't see him as a real game-breaker who will take it 80 (like Ginn). He has potential - but he really has to show he has breakaway speed at the NFL level. When you have teams drafting OLB's with 4.5 speed and safeties with 4.3-4.4 speed - he's going to struggle to outrun anyone.

I like some of the potential there - but, I will be a bit skeptical of his ability to be a big-play type player until I see it in a real NFL game.

Some of you guys get way too wrapped up in 40 times. Timed 40's are not the end all be all measure of NFL speed. Some guys don't play to the great numbers they are timed at. Some guys play much faster than the time they are clocked at -- example: Anquan Boldin ran a 4.70 and a 4.72 and he tears it up every Sunday.

L. Booker seems to have very good game speed from what I have seen of him playing at FSU. He does seem a little soft but his speed has never been an issue.

Boldin had a slow 40 time. You wouldn't want him here as a receiver?

Cmon now.

http://www.realfootball365.com/nfl/articles/2007/06/dolphins-lorenzobooker-turningheads120607.html Ricky who?

That seems to be general sentiment emanating from both the coaching staff and the small segment of the local fan base that attended the Miami Dolphins ' minicamp this weekend. Granted, the team isn't even wearing pads yet, but if early performance predicts future production, then rookie running back Lorenzo Booker is going to make everyone forget Ricky Williams in a hurry.

Good Post. Lorenzo Booker is shifty and his cuts are so sudden that its hard for defenders to get a good shot at him. Hes very fast, but I wouldnt place him in the elite, home-run threat of say a Ted Ginn or Reggie Bush.

Click on this link to view some NEW videos posted on some of Lorenzo's big runs and screen/recieving plays. Simply put, he's a playmaker.
http://youtube.com/results?search_query=lorenzo+booker&search=Search

every team has practice wonders. this isn't just a dolphins phenomena by a long shot. all across the league are minicamp stars that will fade once the pads are put on and the hitting starts.

that being said, i think lorenzo booker is the real deal. and since i see no similarity between the careers of travis minor and kay jay harris, i didn't get the earlier comment.

Exactly! I told you everyone this when we drafted him, I think he has the potential to be an every down back in a year or so, and if Ronnie does not step up he could be surpassed with the new Barry sanders :) Well im getting over excited there..

He's not going to be an every down back in the NFL, just like Bush isn't. He will infuse some speed and elusiveness that we haven't had, even with Brown, but he's never going to replace Brown...The best thing about Booker is Cam Cameron...he's the master at finding ways to utilize his talent...I'll expect to see Booker mature into a very good change-of-pace guy and special play guy...To compare him to Sanders now is a little lofty...let's see what he can do with pads on first...

although i have only seen a few of bookers games im not that fimiliar with his play. but does any one think he may be a safe comparason to morice drew jones from jacksonville?

although i have only seen a few of bookers games im not that fimiliar with his play. but does any one think he may be a safe comparason to morice drew jones from jacksonville?

Maurice Jones Drew is a lot thicker that L. Booker.

Like in a previous Booker thread; throw # 89 on him and he would be a reincarnated Nat Moore...watch the stride/shiftyness, quickness etc... When book get the quick screens from being split out wide, gets matched up on LB's and runs out of the slot I think the Nat similarities will emerge more..

booker would be more like a warrick dunn, tiki barber, brian westbrook than a maurice jones-drew.

He ran a 4.46 and a 4.55 at the Combine. That's slower than Ronnie Brown's 40 numbers.

DA-FINZ: not quite. that so called 4.3 clocking of brown was just that,
so called nd no PROOF ever surfaced. it was one guy, a lacky who
couldnt even rememebr if he started his watch on time and it was in
PRACTICE runs.

ronnie CONSISTANTLY ran in the 4.5 range in real drills and with calibrated
watches run by the people who were hired to do so.

that 4.3 speed thing ran WILD amongst fin hopefuls that were praying
for us to take him.

ok, every point of that can be argued or debated. but ask yourselves
this question.... what have you seen so far our of brown in games
that made you think he had 4.3, other worldy speed? dude is slow and
out runs no one. cant get to the edge at all.

when you watch him, HONESTLY, do you see 4.3 or upper 4.5's?

ronnie doesnt even play quick!!

i dont know how booker will pan out, the whole offensive system
at fla state was wack,expecially the o-line so who knows. but one thing
sticks out when you watch him play, VERY quick and has REAL moves that
brown can only dream of.

PRACTICE runs.

for us to take him.

brown can only dream of.

:rolleyes2
This post is :bs:

PRACTICE runs.

for us to take him.

brown can only dream of.

Ronnie isn't fast? Not quick? Watch Ronnie in this Bucs game from 2005. It comes on at the 1:26 mark. He hits that hole about as fast as you can hit it if you ask me. I want him to run just like that all this season. I wish they had some YouTube of Ronnie's 150 yard day against the best defense in the NFL last year ... da Bears. Ronnie showed his talent there for sure.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJXqADx-XqI&mode=related&search=

Ronnie was electronically timed at the combine running a 4.43. He ran a 4.40 at his Pro Day.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/profiles/2005/brown_ronnie

AGILITY

Campus: 4.4 in the 40-yard dash … 330-pound bench press … 365-pound power clean … 32½-inch vertical jump … 9-foot-7 broad jump … 4.18 20-yard shuttle … Left-handed. Combine: 4.43 in the 40-yard dash … 2.57 20-yard dash … 1.54 10-yard dash … 4.08 20-yard shuttle … 7.10 three-cone drill … 34-inch vertical jump … 9-foot-9 broad jump … Bench pressed 225 pounds 18 times … 31 5/8-inch arm length … 9 5/8-inch hands.

Ronnie isn't Ted Ginn fast, but he's fast enough. Ronnie's has a good combination of speed and power ... very important for the NFL unlike in the college game. A lot of the DBs and a few of the LBs run 4.4 something in the NFL you know. They catch a lot of running backs. On some of his runs last year, Ronnie might have been having groin problems. I hope Ronnie goes out of his way to keep those minor injuries from happening this year.

When 100%, I definitely wouldn't call Ronnie slow. For a 232 lb back, he's pretty fast. LaDainian Tomlinson and Larry Johnson were timed running about 4.38 and 4.40 when they were drafted. Ronnie does need to work on his cutting ability and vision though .... knowing just the right times to burst and when to follow his blockers, etc. That is what makes LT so good. Doing the right things at just the right times.

I googled up an interesting article about our new RB coach Bobby Jackson a few months ago that describes what makes the good athletes make it to elite levels ... mind speed. You want your top backs to have just as much mind speed as they have physical speed. Things happen very fast in the NFL ... like a computer game running at its highest level. When they get used to that speed level, things start to "slow down" in their mind and they can anticipate making just the right cuts at just the right times, etc. Cam talked about it a few times over the past few months. I hope Bobby Jackson can teach Ronnie and Lorenzo some of this stuff like he did with Marshall Faulk.

http://espn.go.com/magazine/vol5no11freaks.html

"Mind speed provides the framework to explain the way Marshall Faulk runs with the football. It might look random, but Faulk bases his water-bug moves on a number of nearly instantaneous observations. Before the ball is snapped, his mind takes a series of snapshots of the defense -- starting with the defensive linemen, then the linebackers, then the defensive backs -- and plots his course accordingly. In an era of max speed, with 260-pound inside linebackers running 4.5 40s, knowing tendencies and spotting patterns can mean the difference between being the best offensive player in the game and being a second-stringer. “Some guys have tunnel vision, but Marshall sees everything,†says Rams running backs coach Bobby Jackson. “I think he sees not only the guys approaching him, but the guys to the side of him and the guys behind him.â€Â

"Consider this move Faulk performed late last season against Indianapolis: Breaking through the line of scrimmage on an off-tackle play, Faulk found himself behind Rams center Andy McCollum, who had just made contact with a Colts linebacker. McCollum and the linebacker separated, and at that moment, with barely a body’s width separating the linebacker and the center, Faulk split the gap between the two and gained another 10 yards. “He went through them like a dart,†Jackson says. “I’ve never seen anything like it.â€Â

"More than foot speed or strength or nerve, a move like this takes the kind of mind speed that blurs the line between thought and action. How much time did he have to see the separation, make the decision and split the difference? Probably less than a half-second. Faulk’s physical skills aren’t carrying him; he’s not the fastest or most punishing back on his own team, much less in the entire NFL. In fact, the growing Faulk legend might simply be a triumph of the imagination. Despite the barely organized chaos of an NFL running play, with 22 bodies in various stages of commotion, Faulk’s assumptions are uncannily accurate."

Back
Top Bottom