Lack of Conditioning in Week 1 wasn't just a Miami problem, it was a LEAGUE problem | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Lack of Conditioning in Week 1 wasn't just a Miami problem, it was a LEAGUE problem

SkapePhin

☠️ Banned ☠️
Reaction score
I posted this in another thread but figured it was worthy of its own thread.

I compared the opening weeks of the past 2 years.
(EDIT: Added last 5 years. Data still bears out. The most notable is the stat for games where both teams scored less than 20 points)

2011:
Games where both teams scored more than 20 points: 6
Games where at least one team scored more than 20 points: 15
Games where at least one team scored more than 30 points: 8
Games where both teams scored less than 20 points: 1

2010:
Games where both teams scored more than 20 points: 3
Games where at least one team scored more than 20 points: 8
Games where at least one team scored more than 30 points: 4
Games where both teams scored less than 20 points: 8

2009:
Games where both teams scored more than 20 points: 6
Games where at least one team scored more than 20 points: 12
Games where at least one team scored more than 30 points: 4
Games where both teams scored less than 20 points: 4

2008:
Games where at least one team scored more than 20 points: 12
Games where at least one team scored more than 30 points: 5
Games where both teams scored less than 20 points: 4

2007:
Games where at least one team scored more than 20 points: 11
Games where at least one team scored more than 30 points: 5
Games where both teams scored less than 20 points: 5

The difference is GLARING. Its obvious that lack of conditioning has led to sloppy and weak play from the defenses around the league.

We should be encouraged by this. Our defense will get into football shape within the next 2 weeks and we (hopefully) wont see a repeat performance of a defense completely gassed by the 2nd half.

They were getting burned well before they got tired. Patriots first two drives resulted in TDs and they took a total of roughly 6 minutes. It was big play after big play.

I didn't see any teams cramping but Miami...well Some DET players in TB were cramping but the Bucs players certainly weren't.

I didnt see New England players on all fours or buckled over on the field Monday. Did any Patriots players even break a sweat?

I didn't see any teams cramping but Miami...well Some DET players in TB were cramping but the Bucs players certainly weren't.

Not all teams were playing a relentless no huddle offense led by the greatest QB in the league. This was a designed attack by New England. Even without this kind of opponent, other defenses were letting up historic numbers. Just look at the stats for games featuring both teams that scored less than 20 points from 2010 to 2011. Is that mere coincidence? That is a drastic difference.

---------- Post added at 05:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:01 PM ----------

I didnt see New England players on all fours or buckled over on the field Monday. Did any Patriots players even break a sweat?

Again, the offensive strategies were different. New England wasn't even giving the defense time to breath between snaps. It was like a 2 minute offense for 60 minutes. That sapped their energy completely.

How do you equate conditioning with the numbers presented? There is no clear correlation...

I say it was not just conditioning its communication..Its huge on D..Players were running wide open..I wish Nolan was down on the sideline giving them hell...

Also our D was good last year because we didnt give up big plays and we held team to fg's....we need to get back to that.

Care to expand upon your thoughts? I am showing you data. What do you chalk up the vast discrepancy in scoring to then?

You can't ask other to disprove what you present when there is no clear correlation. You have to show that your number are related to conditioning. Can you? YOu are just presenting a difference in scoring that could be related to any number of items related to the lockout.

You get paid million of dollars to play a ****ing game. How about you come to work in shape and learn to stay hydrated? The trainers and coaches share equal blame as well.

How do you equate conditioning with the numbers presented? There is no clear correlation...

Defenses were clearly not as effective this opening game as they were last season. Why would they (across the board) not be as effective? To me, the answer has to be conditioning. The lack of conditioning leads to slower reactions, allowing for bigger plays from the offense and a higher scoring output. Offenses know where they are going, so they have that advantage. Defenses have to react. When you are out of shape, you react slower, giving the advantage to the offense.

poor defense = high scores

Hmmmm, it sure seemed like it was a Miami Dolphin problem. I watched several other games and did not see anyone else fall out like we did.

guys...the pats shredded us twice last year...they know how to expose our Defense...

even after getting shredded by them twice...we still had the #6 D

Back
Top Bottom