Lack of Conditioning in Week 1 wasn't just a Miami problem, it was a LEAGUE problem | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Lack of Conditioning in Week 1 wasn't just a Miami problem, it was a LEAGUE problem

guys...the pats shredded us twice last year...they know how to expose our Defense...

even after getting shredded by them twice...we still had the #6 D

OK stop with the #6 defense stuff, We were 6th in yards allowed last year. We were 14th in points allowed. Points allowed is the only true measure of any defense.

And 14th is NOT that great. And the fact that we have now lost 4 straight games with our defense giving up 127 points in those 4 losses doesn't make you think it is getting better. That is 30+ points per game.

This defense is NOT as good as you all make it out to be.

The only time they seem to play well is when the offense is struggling and the D needs to keep us in the game.
Whenever the offense clicks and scores to give us a lead the defense give the score back within a few plays.
They just can't stop anyone when it really counts. Horrible defense.

And we are now ranked 30th in points allowed and 32nd for yards allowed after one game. We face Houston and and san Diego which isn't going to help these number go down.

More evidence?

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000...-rewrite-passing-record-books-?module=HP11_cp

Passing records set Week 1
» Most quarterbacks with 300-plus yards passing at 14
» Five games with two 300-yard passers
» Touchdowns passes in season-openers with 54
» Combined total passing yards in a game with 906 in the Patriots-Dolphins matchup
» Most 400-yard passers in one week with four (Tom Brady, Cam Newton, Drew Brees and Chad Henne)
» Total passing yards in one week with 7,842 yards
Steve Mitchell /US Presswire
A record five games had two QBs with 300+ yards passing in Week 1, led by Tom Brady and Chad Henne.
Player Yards Game Player Yards
Tom Brady 517 NE-MIA Chad Henne 416
Drew Brees 419 NO-GB Aaron Rodgers 312
Cam Newton 422 CAR-ARI Kevin Kolb 309
Tony Romo 342 DAL-NYJ Mark Sanchez 335
Matt Ryan 319 ATL-CHI Jay Cutler 312

The record books were rewritten in 2010, with new marks for touchdown passes (751) and points (11,283) established. Now, it's a small sample, but we're ahead of both paces at this point. Scoring is up 10.4 points per game from this time last season and the 54 touchdown passes in Week 1 are 15 more than a year ago.

You can't ask other to disprove what you present when there is no clear correlation. You have to show that your number are related to conditioning. Can you? YOu are just presenting a difference in scoring that could be related to any number of items related to the lockout.

Come on seriously, whats different about this year???????????? Its not hard. I just wish we could have used whats usually our advantage in september instead of Hoody turning it on us. Good coaching move I have to admit. Obviously the difference.

More evidence?

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000...-rewrite-passing-record-books-?module=HP11_cp

Passing records set Week 1
» Most quarterbacks with 300-plus yards passing at 14
» Five games with two 300-yard passers
» Touchdowns passes in season-openers with 54
» Combined total passing yards in a game with 906 in the Patriots-Dolphins matchup
» Most 400-yard passers in one week with four (Tom Brady, Cam Newton, Drew Brees and Chad Henne)
» Total passing yards in one week with 7,842 yards
Steve Mitchell /US Presswire
A record five games had two QBs with 300+ yards passing in Week 1, led by Tom Brady and Chad Henne.
Player Yards Game Player Yards
Tom Brady 517 NE-MIA Chad Henne 416
Drew Brees 419 NO-GB Aaron Rodgers 312
Cam Newton 422 CAR-ARI Kevin Kolb 309
Tony Romo 342 DAL-NYJ Mark Sanchez 335
Matt Ryan 319 ATL-CHI Jay Cutler 312

The record books were rewritten in 2010, with new marks for touchdown passes (751) and points (11,283) established. Now, it's a small sample, but we're ahead of both paces at this point. Scoring is up 10.4 points per game from this time last season and the 54 touchdown passes in Week 1 are 15 more than a year ago.

Ok i see your point but the dolphins defense gave up more yards than all the other teams .
It was like they just put on pads 3 weeks ago and did not prepare at all during the off-season..
I guess they thought the lockout would carry over and they had time..
Kinda immature if you ask me.. And the coach not getting them ready is equally to blame..
5th most passing yards in the history of the NFL no excuse for that..
:crazy:

Ok i see your point but the dolphins defense gave up more yards than all the other teams .
It was like they just put on pads 3 weeks ago and did not prepare at all during the off-season..
I guess they thought the lockout would carry over and they had time..
Kinda immature if you ask me.. And the coach not getting them ready is equally to blame..
5th most passing yards in the history of the NFL no excuse for that..
:crazy:

Obviously the defense needs to be more prepared. But you also must consider the team and QB they were facing... Its not like they got lit up by Andy Dalton...

As for the coaches conditioning them, things were a lot different this year with not being able to do two-a-days any more...

[h=2]Lack of Conditioning in Week 1 wasn't just a Miami problem, it was a LEAGUE problem[/h]
Agree.

You could see it in several games. It looked worse in the Miami game because New England was exploiting it and using it to their advantage.

The one thing no one has pointed out is that at point in the game. The Pats had a little over 21 minutes time of possession to Miami's 20 minutes. But the Pats had 13 more Offensive plays. That's a ton of extra plays in the same amount of time.

That.

In other games, the offenses weren't purposely trying to wear the defenses out. Those defenses had the typical 15-30 seconds to rest between plays and could switch out players. The Patriots kept it going, play after play, non-stop.

They were getting burned well before they got tired. Patriots first two drives resulted in TDs and they took a total of roughly 6 minutes. It was big play after big play.

well said, these cbs were gettin toasted well before they got cramped up.

Going back the last 2 games played we have faced Tom Brady starting 19 drives.
In those 19 drives here are the results.

8 TD's
2 FG's
1 missed FG
5 punts
1 int
1 fumble recovery

We only stopped them from scoring postion in 7 of the 19 drives. That is pitiful.

As far as the lack of conditioning the TD drives are about the same in each game
The longest drive took 10 plays and 4:06 on the clock.

2011 game

6-3:28 TD
7-2:54 TD
10-4:06 TD
8-3:26 TD
9-3:35 FG
1-0:13 TD

6-2:29 TD
4-1:51 TD
8-2:48 FG
7-3:30 TD

From this it looks like the Patriots just have our number. They can score at will as quickly as they need to.

Come on seriously, whats different about this year???????????? Its not hard. I just wish we could have used whats usually our advantage in september instead of Hoody turning it on us. Good coaching move I have to admit. Obviously the difference.

If you were a scientist/engineer/mathematician, which clearly you aren't, and tried to present these result with the conclusions you have drawn...you would be the laughing stock of your profession.

If you were a scientist/engineer/mathematician, which clearly you aren't, and tried to present these result with the conclusions you have drawn...you would be the laughing stock of your profession.

Seeing the data for the past 5 years, 2011 is an anomaly. So what accounts for the anomaly? The most apparent difference between all those years is the Lockout.

This isn't exactly the scientific method, but it does stand up to common sense. If you concede the 2011's opening week featured much higher scoring than the average in years past, you have 1 of 2 options.

1: Offenses are better
2: Defenses are worse

So what about the Lockout could have made offenses better on opening week than years past? I can't think of any reason why a Lockout would have a positive impact on the performance of offenses across the league. That leads me to believe the issue is with the defense. So what about the Lockout could have caused the defenses across the league to perform poorly? Again, 2 options:

1. Lack of understanding of the playbook and schemes
2. Lack of conditioning

As I mentioned previously, if it was an issue of playbook comprehension, why did defenses with the same philosophies and coaching staffs as last year still perform so badly? That leaves me with only one theory remaining. Poor conditioning. This also stands to reason and common sense since...

A. Teams lost OTAs and two-a-days
B. Defenses must react to what the offense is doing, thus, poor conditioning would have a bigger effect on the defenses ability to react than it would for the offenses ability to perform their predetermined duties.

Of course, we will only know for sure if this theory holds any water once we can compare the games coming up (Weeks 4-17) (once players are in football shape) to see if scoring reverts back to the mean from previous years. If increased scoring outputs remain at an all-time high throughout the season, it would appear that something else other than conditioning is causing it.

Greatly appreciated and I understand you point but there is something everyone overlooked.

Lots of heat and humidity in S Florida and most want us flogging our players relentlessly in practice to take advantage of that. I do not agree with that method at all.

It worked in Shulas time because there were little or no practice rules. The NFL wants their players to be protected now and there are no more two a days in pads.

The team did not get together until what ? late July ? Usually they are here from April to June then come back in July. That alone gets them used to the heat and humidity. Regardless of what people wish or think, most of the players do not live in Florida all year round. Cannot say I blame them, the weather there is plain miserable to say the least.

Add in the lockout where the players were at home, wherever they live and most live outside Florida. Guess what I am trying to say is this. With the short amount of conditioning that happened this year, team wise, I can fully understand why many players are not in the greatest shape.

Just the same though. NE defense looked far fitter then ours. In the second half it looked like NE was from the warm weather and our Defense basically looked gassed and that was from the get go in the second half.

Still say it and still believe it, this defense is NOT as an elite defense as most people think. Look at last year, any team with a good QB and decent receivers tore our secondary apart and raped us over the middle. Did anyone think it was going to be much different this year ? Not me. A rookie RT, Nate Solder, took Cameron Wake to school. Holding or not holding, thats part of being an Olineman. Just the same, whats that tell you when a teams ROOKIE RT takes one of the better DEs in the league to school ? One of two things. Solder is going to be a Super Star or Wake is not as good as we all think he is. Not sure which one I believe right now. Soliai was made to look alike a little boy. Paul is fat and out of shape to the max 12 million down the toilet. Do not look for him to get a long term contract anytime soon, not from us.

I tend to agree with it not being as elite as some thought next few weeks will tell. Also wake just had 1 great year have to do it more than that to be called top player at the position, i saw some on here go as far as to say he was top 3 pass rusher, again we'll see where it all stands in few weeks

#22 played like 75 of 77 snaps and didn't cramp...maybe the rest of the team should have stayed after practice with him.

Seeing the data for the past 5 years, 2011 is an anomaly. So what accounts for the anomaly? The most apparent difference between all those years is the Lockout. ...

I like your thinking tbh. Just wanna add that usually at this time of the year defenses have the edge over offenses because the offenses usually don't have the timing down that early in the season. I think that's something we all agree on. Add in the lockout and the high scoring output is something I wouldn't have expected.

I tend to agree with it not being as elite as some thought next few weeks will tell. Also wake just had 1 great year have to do it more than that to be called top player at the position, i saw some on here go as far as to say he was top 3 pass rusher, again we'll see where it all stands in few weeks
Well to an extent I agree with the OP and conditioning playing a small part in Defenses getting lit up in week 1 but that's not the whole story...Fact of the matter is we got caught with our pant's down and just like when we unleashed the WildCat on them for the first time they surprised us. What really hurt us was we made a small problem extremely worse by not pressuring or sacking the QB or breaking up many passing plays to get our men swapped out. I say small problem because most defenses have an opportunity to adjust and intitute a different approach to getting us to the QB, we didn't because we had zero time to even get to the sidelines to change the gameplan up some. Make no mistake about it Wake is the Pass rusher we believe him to be but yes he was being held by his pads all night long on the inside and being controlled away from his spinning attack style but the thing is he was allowing that to take place for some reason instead of using his elbow swipe up to stop the defender from getting his hands on him first. It was like he wanted the strongman push competition for some odd reason when the Dolphins needed someone to just get in there ASAP on Brady but we just kept attacking Brady from the sides ALL NIGHT LONG. Our biggest games against NE have all come from our pushing up the middle on Brady and putting guys in his face, why this change now? It is a well known fact that Brady Hates pressure from the middle and being flushed out of the pocket, I personally think it's a mental thing with him feeling more exposed and at risk of injury but it is what it is and we moved away from it. If I had to only pick one reason that made that game unwinable for us it would have to be allowing Brady to sit in the pocket all night long with zero pressure being put on him as the beginning of the end for the Dolphins. Pressure brings mistakes, mistakes turn into picks or broken plays and slows the pace.....the Dolphins needed to slow the pace and couldn't and from there everything just snowballed downhill.

There's no question that it wasn't just limited to the Phins. I was watching that new show on Vs. called NFL Turning Point and it showed Revis needing to come out of the game with cramps which led to a TD by the Cowboys on Cromartie who was filling in for Revis. It was worse for us Monday night due to Brady's command of the no huddle.

Back
Top Bottom