LaConfora: Free Agency Article...Dolphins Take | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

LaConfora: Free Agency Article...Dolphins Take

His cap number of $38 million is not quite accurate, I have calculated it closer to $43.5 million based on Volin's roster breakdown the other day. I am glad to hear that they are trying to lock up Starks long term and that Jennings is indeed a major target.

He makes it sound like Reggie's a goner and not too hopeful about retaining Starks. I 'd think long and hard before pulling the trigger on franchising Smith. IMO Reggie adds intrinsic value to the team as one of its few widely familiar faces.. as well as serving as a great training and practice commuted role model spokesman. To that end I think that intrinsic value justifies opening the pocketbook to go the extra mile. (within reason)

I have a hard time beleiving the Ravens would let Kruger walk without a major push to try and resign him.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just the usual speculation. He knows less than we do IMHO.
Long, Smith, Bush, Hartine, Starks, will be resigned.
Finley will be signed via FA. Fasano and Finley would be deadly.
Our receivers will come via the draft. We need speed and play making ability. I am luke warm about the FA receivers like Jennings, and Bowe. Wallace would be a great get, but too expensive.
Another DE will come through the draft

Maybe I'm wrong and he's got great inside sources, but it sounds like speculation with only superficial knowledge. Seems pretty clear to me that we won't be franchising Smith, and Long is pretty much gone. The rest are question marks, but he hasn't written anything here to make me believe he knows anything more than the posters here, or the local beat writers.

You're crazy if you think Long, Smith, Hartline, and Starks will all be re-signed. Long wants around $10m a year, Smith apparently wants $8-$10m, Hartline wants $6m, and Starks is going to be pushing the $7m range. Besides, Smith is a huge gamble, the only reason to re-sign him would be his combination of size and speed (which he can't seem to use to his advantage). Jake Long is no where near worth $10m, I wouldn't even offer him $8m. He's more than likely going to be on IR by December anyway.

This is why teams like the New York Jets are getting crapped on by the salary cap. You don't sign or re-sign average players for huge amounts of money when you can find similar talent in the draft for much cheaper (and guys who are going to fit in with your roster). Ex. Mark Sanchez, Bart Scott, Laron Landry. Re-signing Jake Long and Sean Smith is going to murder us come 2015, when Jake's gobbling up $10m to sit in a hospital and Sean Smith's making another $8m to allow the most first downs in the league by any player.

However, I'm not against re-signing Starks and possibly Hartline, if it's around $4-5m.

You're crazy if you think Long, Smith, Hartline, and Starks will all be re-signed. Long wants around $10m a year, Smith apparently wants $8-$10m, Hartline wants $6m, and Starks is going to be pushing the $7m range.

Wanting and getting are two different things. I highly doubt any of those guys get what they are asking.

Our receivers will come via the draft. We need speed and play making ability. I am luke warm about the FA receivers like Jennings, and Bowe. Wallace would be a great get, but too expensive.

I like all those players, but fact is we are purging this roster, and if purging is too drastic a term, then at the very least I see Starks and Hartline as the only ones that ingratiated themselves to Philbin. IMO Odrick the next 3 years could put up similar production to Starks..Starks wore down towards the end of season. And the chemistry between tannehill and hartline is undeniable.

But I also get the feeling that Tannehill could develop that chemistry with any talented receiver..his tools and talent are that good.

I could not disagree more with what will eventually happen.

See, we already tried the proven route with Marshall. It was sort of successful - Marshall was good on his own, but it never felt like he was lifting the offense.

You could maybe talk me into Wallace, but Bowe seems like another Marshall type (in terms of the impact he makes) and Jennings is an enormous risk who Rodgers proved he really didn't need this year.

High profile receivers are often some of the worst decisions teams have made.

Sign Jennings, trade for Finley. Works for me

You're crazy if you think Long, Smith, Hartline, and Starks will all be re-signed. Long wants around $10m a year, Smith apparently wants $8-$10m, Hartline wants $6m, and Starks is going to be pushing the $7m range.

Isn't it just admirable how much these kids value a team-oriented mindset? :refuse:

Back
Top Bottom