Lamar Miller, and the "fungibility" of running backs | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Lamar Miller, and the "fungibility" of running backs

normaldude

Starter
Reaction score
Some fin fans insist that running backs are a plug & play commodity, and that we should let Lamar Miller walk.

But we should remember that every year, Lamar Miller has been our #1 RB in yds per carry. Every year, even when we had Reggie Bush. With Lamar Miller, we have a proven NFL RB, who stays healthy, and will get the most yards per carry for a given offensive line.

So just keep in mind that if we let Lamar Miller walk, we may end up replacing him with another sluggish fragile back like Daniel Thomas.

2012:

- Lamar Miller: 4.9 ypc

- Reggie Bush: 4.3 ypc

- Daniel Thomas: 3.6 ypc

2013:

- Lamar Miller: 4.0 ypc

- Daniel Thomas: 3.7 ypc

- Mike Gillislee: 3.5 ypc

2014:

- Lamar Miller: 5.1 ypc

- Knowshon Moreno: 4.8 ypc

- Daniel Thomas: 3.8 ypc

- Damien Williams: 3.4 ypc

2015:

- Lamar Miller: 4.5 ypc

- Jonas Gray: 3.9 ypc

- Jay Ajayi: 3.8 ypc

- Damien Williams: 3.7 ypc

You can not compare backs that are feature backs getting that get 15-20 carries per game with backs that are getting 5-10 per game, many that may be 3rd and short. These stats are meaningless.

Miller is a good back, no question, but concerns of keeping him are based on economics of the whole team, rather than just thinking anyone can do it. We have lots of holes to fill and lots of free agents to think about, it's not just a matter of keeping Miller or not.

Miller should be a priority to resign and I doubt the cap will be an issue in his case.

Resign him. It took him 2 years to get good. Now he's a complete back. Keep him in Miami.

He will have a huge year under Shannahan. Think of the RBs Shannahan has developed through great OLs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've heard that Miller might get 6 million per year. I'd rather use that 6 million on the best guard in free agency. The only players I would consider resigning are Shelby and Vernon.

I've heard that Miller might get 6 million per year. I'd rather use that 6 million on the best guard in free agency. The only players I would consider resigning are Shelby and Vernon.

Vernon will be at least 11 million. He has made it crystal clear he is going to the highest bidder.

I'd resign Miller & Shelby and let Vernon walk and see if we can reboot Coples or dare I say it Dion Jordan

vernon sounds like he is going to make it very hard to resign him as a dolphin $$ wise...especially given his position.

miller should be easy. running backs aren't expensive....

Vernon will be at least 11 million. He has made it crystal clear he is going to the highest bidder.

That works out to $1 for every stupid penalty he's had as a Miami Dolphin:)

Resigning Miller is a must in my opinion. Especially if they can land Shanahan. Miller will be a monster in Shanahan's system.

vernon sounds like he is going to make it very hard to resign him as a dolphin $$ wise...especially given his position.

miller should be easy. running backs aren't expensive....

Cowboys will make it rain.

Back
Top Bottom