Lamar Miller, and the "fungibility" of running backs | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Lamar Miller, and the "fungibility" of running backs

People say they want play makers. And then they want to draw the line at $4 million/year on re-signing Miller. Shaking my head. If we can get him back here at $6 million/year you jump all over that. Had he actually been used as much as he should have, with the corresponding production, he would be singing for close to the top of the RB market. He IS a playmaker. And we need him in this offense.

Look at the Chiefs w/out Jamaal Charles....Hawks w/ out Lynch...RB is plug and play if you have a good run game, it just is. Ajayi can be our feature back next year no question, and we can get depth no problem.

Look I love Miller, but with our cap situation, and how much he'll cost, the benefit does not make up for the cost.

Look at the Chiefs w/out Jamaal Charles....Hawks w/ out Lynch...RB is plug and play if you have a good run game, it just is. Ajayi can be our feature back next year no question, and we can get depth no problem.

Look I love Miller, but with our cap situation, and how much he'll cost, the benefit does not make up for the cost.

That's the thing. Spending $6 million/year is not a lot of money in the NFL when it comes to free agents. It's not small potatoes, but hardly a huge hindrance. IMHO we have made the mistake in free agency of chasing the high dollar positions with our big splashes. OT and WR. I think you get a lot more for your money when you spend $6 million for a guy like Miller than when you throw out $10 million per for a guy like Mike Wallace. We can sign Miller and still address guard, LB and swing tackle in free agency. It's Vernon that will break the bank and probably needs to be allowed to walk.

That's the thing. Spending $6 million/year is not a lot of money in the NFL when it comes to free agents. It's not small potatoes, but hardly a huge hindrance. IMHO we have made the mistake in free agency of chasing the high dollar positions with our big splashes. OT and WR. I think you get a lot more for your money when you spend $6 million for a guy like Miller than when you throw out $10 million per for a guy like Mike Wallace. We can sign Miller and still address guard, LB and swing tackle in free agency. It's Vernon that will break the bank and probably needs to be allowed to walk.

Eh, I'd rather spend that money on Matthews. Or a top offensive lineman. Miller is a big play threat, no doubt, but so is parker, matthews, and potentially ajayi.

Miller is the classic gunna-look-great-in-a-Pats-jersey type of player. Not that I'm saying we should play keep away with the market, but we have not tapped his potential. I would make him priority over Vernon and Matthews. He's handled all the controversy here with great maturity. Shows marked improvement every year. Does not cost our team with negative plays on the field. This is conjecture, but he appears to be a team-first individual. That coupled with his value on the field should merit priority. Even if Ajayi eats up more of his snaps in the future, he's shown his value in both a primary and secondary role. I would put more value in slightly overspending for Miller than clearly overspending for Vernon, if that's the scenario. I also think a Shanahan would do wonders for his production.

Vernon is an impact player and id like to see him stay in Miami. That said, he is an idiot w all his personal fouls and such - if he walks I don't think the net impact is terrible for us.

Miller needs to stay. 4 years ago were crying about having no skill position playmakers and now we want to let this one walk after the light bulb comes on. He should stay as long as he and his agent are reasonable, hell we may even be able to get a hometown discount.

Reshad Jones on Lamar's #2 ranked run of the year.

[TWEET]684520343055253505[/TWEET]

I wonder what Vernon's value will be on the FA market? I read or heard somewhere, I forget where, but they thought the Phins would tag him.....SMH

We are paying Cameron Jordan 7 mill why can't we pay Miller

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Yes, this is an age of interchangeable RBs, but I wouldn't be so quick to discount talent. What makes Lamar so valuable is that not only is he a consistent back equally as a runner and receiver, but he's a true potential gamebreaker. That has value transcendent of position. He's our only true must re-sign player.

I would have no problem with him getting resigned but we simply can't afford to overpay another player on the roster, we already have a QB that is getting more than his performance warrants and the most expensive DL player in the history of the game. We need to get Miller back in for a good price, but our priority in my view is to get OV resigned, and if the money will only stretch to one of the two then I would be doing my best to get OV in a dolphins uniform. It is far easier to find a competent RB than it is to find a DE that can impact a game the way OV does, with Wake's time running out, OV is in a strong negotiating position.

Back
Top Bottom