Latest Cap Info | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Latest Cap Info

yes but once you take Ogbah out that leave us with 10 players under contract so that 149mill is extremely misleading

we have 172mill of cap space in 2026 with SEVEN players under contract
It’s not misleading. It’s an enormous amount of flexibility to do with whatever we want. Jalen Ramsey’s cap number for 2023 is $2.9 million. We can use that $150 million in cap space in 2025 to go out and add 15 All Pros if we want to, and the bill on that wouldn’t even come due until 2027 or 2028.

Or we can draft 20 players between now and then, unearth a few UDFAs, re-sign our own players, and supplement with a few stars. Which is almost definitely what we’ll do. And we have more than enough cap room to do it.

I don’t understand why some of this board enjoys worrying about the future cap so much, but even assuming you want to keep an eye on the future, it’s just flatly incorrect to act like we’re in a bad future cap situation. We objectively are not. We are in a very good future cap situation.

Spotrac is the largest cap reporting company in the world with info on all sports. Above is what they have for Miami in 2025. You can click on the players name to see the exact contract details.

Where does your info come from?
Overthecap, which continues to be a vastly superior website for NFL salary and salary cap information.

Spotrac projects the 2025 salary cap to be $245 million, which is where their salary cap calculations come from. But that’s not even close. It’s probably going to be higher than that in 2024—it will be higher than that by $20 million or more by 2025. Which Overthecap correctly projects.

Overthecap, which continues to be a vastly superior website for NFL salary and salary cap information.

Spotrac projects the 2025 salary cap to be $245 million, which is where their salary cap calculations come from. But that’s not even close. It’s probably going to be higher than that in 2024—it will be higher than that by $20 million or more by 2025. Which Overthecap correctly projects.
I prefer Over the Cap as well brother. :ffic:

Grier is deservedly divisive but he knows how to manage the cap.
Actually, Brandon Shore - Dolphins Senior Vice President Football and Business Administration is the guy who does a great job managing the cap. Chris Grier is smart enough to listen to him.

But you’re failing to take into account the cheap contracts the Dolphins will get due to their current draft capitol.

2023 - 4 picks
2024 - 5 picks
2025 - 8 picks
2026 - 7 picks

That’s 24 players at relatively cheap contracts. Factoring those players in really changes the “7” players under contract argument when looking that far ahead.
Actually the fact we only have 4 picks in 2023 and 5 in 2024 is a problem.....you're right that those are cheaper contracts but only 9 picks in the next two draft is a bad thing......even if we had 7 picks in each draft the cap space we have for 2025 is very misleading and so is 2026.......not saying we can’t manage it, just saying people see that big number and think we're great when in fact we're not.

It’s not misleading. It’s an enormous amount of flexibility to do with whatever we want. Jalen Ramsey’s cap number for 2023 is $2.9 million. We can use that $150 million in cap space in 2025 to go out and add 15 All Pros if we want to, and the bill on that wouldn’t even come due until 2027 or 2028.

Or we can draft 20 players between now and then, unearth a few UDFAs, re-sign our own players, and supplement with a few stars. Which is almost definitely what we’ll do. And we have more than enough cap room to do it.

I don’t understand why some of this board enjoys worrying about the future cap so much, but even assuming you want to keep an eye on the future, it’s just flatly incorrect to act like we’re in a bad future cap situation. We objectively are not. We are in a very good future cap situation.
I'm not saying our cap for the future is bad......I'm just saying when you look at the cap space we have in future years you also need to see how many players we have under contract .......you can try to make your case better by talking about having 128mill of cap space but with only 10 players under contract that number is just not real......yes I'm sure we'll manage....every team has to be under the cap every year and we will be too.....at some point you and I both know we'll have to let some good players go and then it'll come down to how good or bad we draft which it'd be fine if we had all of our picks but we only have 4 picks this year and we're already missing our 3rd and 4th round picks in 2024

Actually the fact we only have 4 picks in 2023 and 5 in 2024 is a problem.....you're right that those are cheaper contracts but only 9 picks in the next two draft is a bad thing......even if we had 7 picks in each draft the cap space we have for 2025 is very misleading and so is 2026.......not saying we can’t manage it, just saying people see that big number and think we're great when in fact we're not.
Scouting department is going to have to their homework on the UDFA's and hopefully we can hit on one or two of them like Kader. :ffic:

Just win me a Super Bowl this year, then I won’t care if we become the 23 Rams in 25, or 26.

Eagles FA Seumalo, an important part of the best OL signed a 3 year deal for $24M. The $8 M is what I posted for Hunt. They are almost identical except Hunt is 3 years younger.
In three years we'll have a Superbowl er 2 - worry.

All logical progression here boyz...good teams become great in this period...we load up on talent - make our run and den it all comes a crumblin' down.

Circle a Life in the NFL - embrace it

I'm not saying our cap for the future is bad......I'm just saying when you look at the cap space we have in future years you also need to see how many players we have under contract .......you can try to make your case better by talking about having 128mill of cap space but with only 10 players under contract that number is just not real......yes I'm sure we'll manage....every team has to be under the cap every year and we will be too.....at some point you and I both know we'll have to let some good players go and then it'll come down to how good or bad we draft which it'd be fine if we had all of our picks but we only have 4 picks this year and we're already missing our 3rd and 4th round picks in 2024
I agree with all of this. $128 million in cap space (which is really more like $150 million, since there’s no chance Ogbah is ever seeing that 2025 money) is not a real number, but it means we have enormous flexibility. Teams that are cap strapped don’t have flexibility.

For comparison, look at New Orleans and Philadelphia. Those are cap strapped teams. As of today, the Saints are only projected to have about $40 million in cap space in 2025. That’s barely enough to re-sign two or three players on their current roster plus their draft classes between now and then. They have no flexibility. They’re locked into this roster.

The Eagles are not as bad, but similar. They have $97 million in cap room with no quarterback. Once they extend Hurts, they’ll be around $55 million in 2025 cap room. In 2025, they’ll be eating over $66 million in largely unavoidable cap hits for Lane Johnson, Darius Slay, Jason Kelce, Brandon Graham, and Fletcher Cox, who will be 36, 34, 37, 37, and 34 years old.

We’re nothing like that. We can extend Tua, Waddle, Hunt, Phillips, Holland, Wilkins, and Connor Williams, and still have $50-60 million of cap space to play with.

It’s not like we have any bad contracts on the books for 2025 yet. Tyreek, Armstead, Chubb, and Ramsey will be on fair, market-standard deals. The top of the WR market is going to be at least $30-35 million annual value in 2025. A top LT will cost far more than Armstead’s $20.5 million cap number. A top corner will cost far more than Ramsey’s $21 million cap number. A Pro Bowl edge will cost far more than Chubb’s $26.5 million cap number. And none of those guys will obviously age out of their value by then. Also, it’s highly likely we do at least a few restructures among that group if they’re still playing at a high level.

Xavien is the only arguably crappy contract in 2025. But we’ll see if he bounces back this year. He’s only going to be 33 in the 2025 season. Not out of the question he’s still playing at a high level.

I agree with all of this. $128 million in cap space (which is really more like $150 million, since there’s no chance Ogbah is ever seeing that 2025 money) is not a real number, but it means we have enormous flexibility. Teams that are cap strapped don’t have flexibility.

For comparison, look at New Orleans and Philadelphia. Those are cap strapped teams. As of today, the Saints are only projected to have about $40 million in cap space in 2025. That’s barely enough to re-sign two or three players on their current roster plus their draft classes between now and then. They have no flexibility. They’re locked into this roster.

The Eagles are not as bad, but similar. They have $97 million in cap room with no quarterback. Once they extend Hurts, they’ll be around $55 million in 2025 cap room. In 2025, they’ll be eating over $66 million in largely unavoidable cap hits for Lane Johnson, Darius Slay, Jason Kelce, Brandon Graham, and Fletcher Cox, who will be 36, 34, 37, 37, and 34 years old.

We’re nothing like that. We can extend Tua, Waddle, Hunt, Phillips, Holland, Wilkins, and Connor Williams, and still have $50-60 million of cap space to play with.

It’s not like we have any bad contracts on the books for 2025 yet. Tyreek, Armstead, Chubb, and Ramsey will be on fair, market-standard deals. The top of the WR market is going to be at least $30-35 million annual value in 2025. A top LT will cost far more than Armstead’s $20.5 million cap number. A top corner will cost far more than Ramsey’s $21 million cap number. A Pro Bowl edge will cost far more than Chubb’s $26.5 million cap number. And none of those guys will obviously age out of their value by then. Also, it’s highly likely we do at least a few restructures among that group if they’re still playing at a high level.

Xavien is the only arguably crappy contract in 2025. But we’ll see if he bounces back this year. He’s only going to be 33 in the 2025 season. Not out of the question he’s still playing at a high level.
When it comes to flexibility then yes, it's like having a blank canvas......of course I know that by the time the off season comes around before the 2025 season we will have a lot more players under contract than the 10 we have now but of course as the number of players under contract will grow, the amount of cap space will start to go down. Like I said, it'll come down to hitting on your draft picks in order to remain competitive as opposed to maybe winning a SB and then being bad for a long time again

On what are you basing that projection?

$$$$$$ and the lack there of. I don’t even think it will be a question, unless he turns into some kind of elite player that he’s not.

I am not his biggest fan nor am I thrilled he was drafted so high.

I am not thrilled with the entire OL situation.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom