Latest on Tua from insiders | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Latest on Tua from insiders

Jack Nicholson Reaction GIF

He and half the rest of the concussion cases this year. PFT has a video asking “Should Tua be allowed to play in the playoffs?”

It’s what you might call ‘Double Standards’
It all goes back to those bent fingers in a prime time game. Media hysteria ensues.

Pickett gets his second concussion, misses one game, and no one even discusses it.

But now every time McD is asked, he has to go on and provide some morals-based speech about how he loves the player and would never consider playing him until angels from on high come down and bless Tua’s return to the field.

This bullshit doesn’t exist for any other team in the NFL.

Last week McDaniel said Tua hasn't progressed far enough in the concussion protocol to be on the practice field:

"Phase Three: Football Specific Exercise: The player-patient continues with supervised cardiovascular exercises that are increased and begin to mimic sport specific activities, as well as supervised strength training. The player-patient is allowed to practice with the team in sport specific exercise for 30 minutes or less, with ongoing and careful symptom monitoring by the medical staff."

...so I would think that means he's somewhere between Phase 1 & Phase 2.
You don't actually have to practice with the team to pass phase 3. All the player has to do is demonstrate exercise and mimic sports activities. So he could pass Phase 3 with out even being at an actual practice. So he can clear any of Phase 1-3 with out the media getting a whiff unless Miami flat out tells them.

Phase 4 is when the media will find out as he will actually be at a practice and participating in a non contact football activities.

If I had to bet Tua wants to play and it is all on Miami at this point. He has probably already pass the first phases. If he isn't even exercising at this point without symptoms, I see now way he would have been allowed at the stadium celebrating with teammates. If Miami decides to give it a go he can clear Phase 4 and 5 in back to back days, if he doesn't have a setback. Basically 4 and 5 is pretty much the same for a QB, cause phase is full contact, which you won't be hitting a QB if full 11 on 11 contact anyway.

You don't actually have to practice with the team to pass phase 3. All the player has to do is demonstrate exercise and mimic sports activities. So he could pass Phase 3 with out even being at an actual practice. So he can clear any of Phase 1-3 with out the media getting a whiff unless Miami flat out tells them.

Phase 4 is when the media will find out as he will actually be at a practice and participating in a non contact football activities.

If I had to bet Tua wants to play and it is all on Miami at this point. He has probably already pass the first phases. If he isn't even exercising at this point without symptoms, I see now way he would have been allowed at the stadium celebrating with teammates. If Miami decides to give it a go he can clear Phase 4 and 5 in back to back days, if he doesn't have a setback. Basically 4 and 5 is pretty much the same for a QB, cause phase is full contact, which you won't be hitting a QB if full 11 on 11 contact anyway.
Thanks for this. Don't know a lot about the distinctions between the different phases of the concussion protocol and this gave me some greater insight into the process. Fingers crossed Tua has already cleared phases 1 through 3 and then can knock off phases 4 and 5 in back-to-back days this week.

A day or two, players have cleared all 5 steps in 3-4 days.
Yep. I believe you can technically clear 4 and 5 in a day, if the team has split practice. Say in the morning they did non contact drills or non contact 11 on 11 walk through. That clears 4. And then in the afternoon they did 11 on 11 full contact (loop hole for a QB anyway cause you ain't hitting him anyway) and bam cleared protocol. Honestly is the team and doctors think hi is good to play and the player says he is good the protocols are easy to navigate. They are there more for image to the media/fans so the NFL and NFLPA an say look safety is our number one priority, which we all know is not true. It is really on the team (their Drs) and the player themselves. The team may hold him back if the don't want the risk on their investment of a long term player or the player himself doesn't feel comfortable on the risk of re-injury. Everything else is window dressing.

Back
Top Bottom