Left Tackle-no Dixon | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Left Tackle-no Dixon

We didn't really address our needs this offseason which were LT and a top tier WR.

Yeah we (Buffalo Bills Fans) told you that and you didn't want to believe us.

I don't see how top tier WR was a need for us this offseason anymore than it is for just about every team in the national football league. Chambers is the #1 WR and will be used like it. Bringing in a top tier guy aside from tying up milions of cap dollars would stunt Chambers' growth as a WR.

As for LT, its tough. Lord knows the front office tried. We'll see how Wade Smith does against guys not named Jason. If he struggles, time to give Rich Webb a call I think.

The morning press clipping suggest Webb may be up around 360 pounds! I doubt he could help before Dixon could be back. I'd rather watch the waiver wire.

Maybe a heavy Webb is still better than a light 330 unknown released OT.

I don't want to see another Spencer Folau or Marcus Spriggs at the LT spot. Lamar Smith wasn't able to run with those guys and Williams will have the same problem because he needs to let the play developps before going full speed. If there is always someone in the backfield, he's not an elusive runner to make 1-2 moves to get free. And he will take an heavy pounding...

Originally posted by ckparrothead
I don't see how top tier WR was a need for us this offseason anymore than it is for just about every team in the national football league.

Wannstedt while watching the post season games and SB realized WR as a need. As for not addressing LT that may be the move that losses Wanny his job.

This is getting down right hilarious. It goes from Wanny is a jerk, to we got some great players, to we're going to kick some A$$ and back to woe is us.

Last edited by a moderator:
WR was a need sure enough. But top tier WR was not a need. Hence, we didn't even SNIFF at guys like Laveraneous Coles, Peerless Price, or David Boston. But we sure as heck stayed in negotiations with Oronde Gadsden, made an offer to Ike Hilliard, and ended up signing Derrius Thompson. Does that sound like Wannstedt realized that TOP TIER wide receiver was a need for the Phins? To me it sounds like Wannstedt realized we needed a second tier complimentary type of WR.

As I said before, I don't see how top tier WR was a need for the Phins anymore than most every other team in the NFL.

Ya gotta point fairbanks. Times like these we see some adversity and the nay-sayers come right out of the woodwork talkin about how the coaches failed to do this or that during the offseason The season isn't over yet. It hasn't even begun. We may be seeing a glut of injuries but at least for the most part they aren't longterm injuries.

As of yet there are three guys...all non-starters...who definitely will not be available for Houston. And two of those guys will not be available for any game this year, they are being put on IR...while the other one (D-Bo) should be back in November. Konrad could be back at practice as early as next week, and we don't know that Dixon will even miss the opener against Houston yet. And even if he does...big deal its frickin Houston.

If JT goes down for the season then we can start worrying our butts off about the season prospects. And even so, I bet if that happened we get someone comin on here talkin about how backup DE was one area that Wannstedt failed to address this offseason.

I know that they (Perry and Moore) don't have signifigant cap figures, but if players are placed on the IR do the Dolphins get any kinda cap relief?

I know the NBA has something like that for players out for the season.

I personally think we did address every need in the offseason BUT LT. Im disappointed we didnt do something at that position other than drafting a young guy. I dont see how it would hurt us to pick up Webb at vet minimum or something. The guy did a good job for us in the past and maybe he's not the same Richmond Webb but i really dont see why we dont just try him out.

I say let Smith do the job until Dixon gets back. The kid is supposed to be a stud, so let him learn. He goes against JT everyday and will go against Douglas this week. These next three preseason games are going to be invaluable to him and should make a starter out of him sooner than if he sat around as a backup. Of course this is all contingent on how long Dixon is expected to be out. If it's only the 4 or 5 weeks, let Smith play.

Last edited by a moderator:
Its not like the coaches didn't address LT at all. They drafted a guy who they felt should be able to play LT decently even in his rookie year. They went in thinking there were like 4 guys on the board they felt could play LT immediately and therefore be a good backup. They tried moving up to get one of the top ones, but teams wanted something ridiculous for moving up so they got one of the other ones. Having a rookie backup LT is not necessarily considered a "hole" on your team.

I really just wish that the Phins never even went after Wayne Gandy because it sent like the complete wrong message to everyone. Everyone thinks that because we went after Gandy, we MUST have this big hole at LT. We didn't. Gandy fit because he could have manned the spot while Dixon moved back to being a PRO BOWL caliber left guard...while Jamie Nails who was considered for the Pro Bowl, could move to RG. It would have been one single move that would take our offensive line to being one of the best in the league. It wasn't so much a move for covering a hole as it was a move that had a lot of positive potential.

But because we went after Gandy and didn't get him, and subsequently didn't sign any other starter quality LTs, everyone thinks we failed to address LT.

Back
Top Bottom