Left Tackle-no Dixon | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Left Tackle-no Dixon

Originally posted by XoPhinsoX

Well, nobody thought a 4th round pick (McM) would do what he did.

That's why I'm saying some people are spoiled. Nobody is saying Smith CAN'T start...but it's a mistake to ASSUME he can start. LT is the toughest position on the O-line. It's also the position that has the biggest risk if that player makes a mistake. If a TE makes a mistake the worst thing that happens is an Interception and maybe a TD. If an LT makes a mistake the worst thing that happens is the QB gets blindsided and maybe knocked out for the season. LT just isn't the place to plug in a rookie and hope for the best, especially when that rookie was taken in the 3rd round, and who doesn't even have 4 years of college experience at that position.

LT

Well, if I remember well Todd Wade was the starting RT when he first got in. I think also that the front office failed to land a decent LT. This happens when you are in a comfort zone, and Spielman seems to think that if we go 10-6 and make the playoffs is enough for him to keep his job. But we Dolfans know better...we are tired of the 9-7, 10-6, 11-5 seasons with quick playoff exits. Richmond Webb at this point is overweight and perhaps would be a last resort. Giving the rookie the job is not bad idea considering there are 3 pre-season games left which would give him loads of experience in a hurry. Again Mark Dixon can't stay healthy, a recurrent theme for the Dolphins most talented offesive lineman, but it's most injury prone.:( :(

Re: LT

Originally posted by Paquiviris
Well, if I remember well Todd Wade was the starting RT when he first got in. I think also that the front office failed to land a decent LT. This happens when you are in a comfort zone, and Spielman seems to think that if we go 10-6 and make the playoffs is enough for him to keep his job. But we Dolfans know better...we are tired of the 9-7, 10-6, 11-5 seasons with quick playoff exits. Richmond Webb at this point is overweight and perhaps would be a last resort. Giving the rookie the job is not bad idea considering there are 3 pre-season games left which would give him loads of experience in a hurry. Again Mark Dixon can't stay healthy, a recurrent theme for the Dolphins most talented offesive lineman, but it's most injury prone.:( :(

This is good!!! Now we have fans who know what Spielman thinks. Tell you what, go out into the world and find the persons that has the right way of thinking and go tell Wayne to hire them. That way we can go to the superbowl every year and we don't have to put up with stinking 11-5 seasons.

Originally posted by Dolphanaholic
Did you know? Brent Smith, Marcus Spriggs and Spencer Folau are all starters on other teams? How is that possible maybe the expectations are just a little to high around here!

What are the records of those teams? Enough said.

For all those who would say that this problem that has been addressed or attempted to be addressed let me ask you.

When was the first time you heard of our linebacking corp being a problem with the defense? Last year. Okay Rodgers gone.

Prior to Ricky, how many different starting running backs were on this team?

Other than Gadsden how many receivers have we had play three seasons?

Darryl Gardener attitude problem? Gone and replaced !

Left Tackle is not a NEW problem. It has been a sore that has festered for years. The last quality left tackle the Dolphins had was Richmond Webb. He's played out a lucrative contract and on the verge of retirement.

Every other problem has had at least a patch thrown at it and then an attempt to fill with a body.

Yet last year we filled the tackle position with a guard. Then at season's end we half heartedly attempted to sign a free agent. Then we entered the preseason with a 33 year old, injury prone guard playing tackle again.

Saying "we have a problem" is not the problem as some have mentioned. The "problem" is the problem. It didn't have to be announced. Fans could see it in the ill formed pocket, the shock on Lucas' face as he realized he had less than three seconds in that pocket, and the sh*tty play of the offensive line in general.

You can say the free agent tackles are overpriced. I will say that it is the market. Need one? Pay the money.

Don't have any money?

Well we do have a 35 million dollar defense that has perrenially choked. Find some there.

It is (to say the least) a total failure on the part of management not to have addressed this problem. And that's the bottom line.

Last edited by a moderator:
Zod man, the next time I need to feel bad about anything I'll call ya. :cry:

I think they put some effort into the problem, but decided there was a limit to what they would spend. Good call? We'll certainly see.

One more thing. Everyone is saying that Webb is fat and out of shape. I don't know that and neither do you. That's just talk, and it may be wrong. What would it hurt to have him in for a workout just to see where he is. Even if he is out of shape there still is time to get him ready for the season. Its not like adding some retired guy from a television studio in the middle of the season to come in and start right away. :hitself:

I don't think Price would have made it out alive of the Fin's locker room.:lol:

Originally posted by ZOD
For all those who would say that this problem that has been addressed or attempted to be addressed let me ask you.

When was the first time you heard of our linebacking corp being a problem with the defense? Last year. Okay Rodgers gone.

Prior to Ricky, how many different starting running backs were on this team?

Other than Gadsden how many receivers have we had play three seasons?

Darryl Gardener attitude problem? Gone and replaced !

Left Tackle is not a NEW problem. It has been a sore that has festered for years. The last quality left tackle the Dolphins had was Richmond Webb. He's played out a lucrative contract and on the verge of retirement.

Every other problem has had at least a patch thrown at it and then an attempt to fill with a body.

Yet last year we filled the tackle position with a guard. Then at season's end we half heartedly attempted to sign a free agent. Then we entered the preseason with a 33 year old, injury prone guard playing tackle again.

Saying "we have a problem" is not the problem as some have mentioned. The "problem" is the problem. It didn't have to be announced. Fans could see it in the ill formed pocket, the shock on Lucas' face as he realized he had less than three seconds in that pocket, and the sh*tty play of the offensive line in general.

You can say the free agent tackles are overpriced. I will say that it is the market. Need one? Pay the money.

Don't have any money?

Well we do have a 35 million dollar defense that has perrenially choked. Find some there.

It is (to say the least) a total failure on the part of management not to have addressed this problem. And that's the bottom line.

Sorry but I disagree. Not only were the free agent Tackles that were available overpriced, but most of them weren't even dedicated Left Tackles. So while the Saints may have paid too much for a Gandy, WE would have paid WAY too much. It's easy to say "just pay it", but then you can say goodbye to Junior, you can say goodbye to Sammy, and you can say goodbye to Brian. Take a look at the money Gandy would have cost us, and then look at what we paid for those 3 players. We failed last season in large part because the D imploded and your soultion is to further degrade that D? ad answer man, bad answer.

You assume that I think there was a need for Seau, Griese, and Knight.

However Rodgers is now on a team that will start him at his designated position. Our defense got slower. Improvement? Yet to be seen. Still costing us money. YEP.

Knight? In a position battle that most assume he will win. Too slow for most teams to give up the dough though. Improvement over Freeman? We'll see.

So your answer to last years problem is that 35 million for the defense isn't enough? Okay :rolleyes:

Griese? Rosenfels don't look that bad at all. As a matter of fact, so far he looks better than Griese.

My option is not to weaken the D. It is to use the money wisely. Gandy is a Tackle. Dixon is a guard.

Turley is a Tackle. Dixon is a guard.

The New York Giants resigned two tackles this offseason. Dixon is a guard.

Flozell Adams got a contract this year. Dixon is a guard.

There were other options out there. Gandy was the one you heard about.

Did I mention that Mark Dixon is a guard?

Did I say fester? :lol:

For those who have said they worry less about this line than one's three or four years ago.

Or

They tried.

I offer you this dated November 1998.

** Mark Dixon to Replace Richmond Webb - Maybe

The latest reports out of Miami say that the Dolphins are planning on moving Mark Dixon to Richmond Webb's left tackle spot and plugging backup guard John Bock in at left guard. That is, if Mark Dixon can get enough reps in practice this week with his strained neck.

Jeff Buckey is the normal backup for Webb, but he is listed as doubtful for Sunday's game against the Colts with a back problem. He has not been practicing this week and will probably not be ready to start on Sunday.

So that leaves Mike Sheldon and Brent Smith as the two backups with experience at tackle. However, Mark Dixon also has experience playing left tackle, where he spent the majority of his CFL career. And John Bock has proven to be a reliable backup at the interior line positions, having filled in well for Tim Ruddy last season at center.

As of today, Brent Smith is getting all the practice reps at left tackle while Mark Dixon rests his strained neck. If Dixon doesn't get enough practice this week at the left tackle position, Brent Smith will most likely start on Sunday. If Smith does a good job, Dixon will stay at guard and Smith will stay at tackle.

Now considering all NFL teams put their best pass rusher on the left side, has the problem really been addressed?

Smith and Dixon have had one thing in common since 1998.

INJURIES !

Originally posted by ZOD
You assume that I think there was a need for Seau, Griese, and Knight.

However Rodgers is now on a team that will start him at his designated position. Our defense got slower. Improvement? Yet to be seen. Still costing us money. YEP.

Knight? In a position battle that most assume he will win. Too slow for most teams to give up the dough though. Improvement over Freeman? We'll see.

So your answer to last years problem is that 35 million for the defense isn't enough? Okay :rolleyes:

Griese? Rosenfels don't look that bad at all. As a matter of fact, so far he looks better than Griese.

My option is not to weaken the D. It is to use the money wisely. Gandy is a Tackle. Dixon is a guard.

Turley is a Tackle. Dixon is a guard.

The New York Giants resigned two tackles this offseason. Dixon is a guard.

Flozell Adams got a contract this year. Dixon is a guard.

There were other options out there. Gandy was the one you heard about.

Did I mention that Mark Dixon is a guard?

First off, if you don't think those three improves this team, or that there was no need for them, thats just silly.

Knight, too slow.... check his stats.

Give Griese some sort of break. He is learning a new offense, of course Sage will look better.

I honestly think this organization has spent thier money very well. They have upgraded positions, but because one guy on the O Line goes down, now your up in arms about the O line. Believe me, I would have loved to see Turley in a Miami uniform, but guess what, here is something new... with the salary cap, you can't get everything you think you should have. Things cost money.

I wonder, how would you get the monies for Turley OR Petitgout.

If you are the GM, tell me what you would cut.

To make things easier, I will post what both signed for this year.

<snip> Taken from stltoday.com
It all adds up to $30 million, exactly what the New York Giants paid to re-sign free-agent offensive tackle Luke Petitgout this offseason. That's no coincidence. The Rams patterned Turley's contract after Petitgout's. Even Turley's signing bonus is almost identical to Petitgout's $9.75 million.

Turley's contract is cap-friendly for the first two years. He counts $2.358 million against the salary cap in '03 and $2.363 million against the cap in '04. His cap number jumps to $5.572 million in '05, and exceeds $6 million in '06, '07, and '08.

I've already answered your question on another thread.

Quit asking the same question on two different threads.. :lol:

and BTW..

You answer your own question on the Turley thing.

And of note to all your cap questions.

Where was the 25 million that we offered the Chicago center last year going to come from?

Back
Top Bottom