Lendale White to Packers at #5 | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Lendale White to Packers at #5

jonanthans said:
The bulleted items below list the tenets/criteria of the West Coast Offense,
"According to Bill Walsh, in the ideal WCO setup, the wide receivers would catch 15 passes a game, the running backs would catch 10 and the tight ends would catch five. A team is looking for 25 first downs a game. The main facet of the offense is utilizing short screen passes to the backs and slant passes to the recievers."

Dwayne Jarrett and Steve Smith, the Wr position had their 15,
Reggie Bush, Lendale White and Kirtman got their 10, and the TE's averaged 6 catches per game between Byrd/Davis/Han****.

So, exactly what kind of offense would YOU say USC employed?
USC liked to throw the deep ball a lot. the receivers didn't have the same responsibility like in the west coast. leinart made most of the reads before the play, unlike the west coast which is more during the play. and finally, the main reason the backs caught so many passes was becasue bush would line up on the outside a lot. the closest offense USC's compares to is what the patriots run.

white isn't a west coast back at all.

Juan Cribbs said:
USC liked to throw the deep ball a lot. the receivers didn't have the same responsibility like in the west coast. leinart made most of the reads before the play, unlike the west coast which is more during the play. and finally, the main reason the backs caught so many passes was becasue bush would line up on the outside a lot. the closest offense USC's compares to is what the patriots run.

white isn't a west coast back at all.

Bill Walsh considers it a west coast offense, so I will go with that, you are more than entitled to your opinion.

And, DeAngelo averaged less than 2 catches per game in his 4 year career at Memphis, and only had 30 TOTAL Catches in his last 2 seasons COMBINED, so how he fits in your plans for Green Bay's WCO doesn't add up.

Juan Cribbs said:
USC didn't run a west coast offense. who mentioned TDs? nothing to do with williams. he fits the west coast better than white because white isn't an everydown back who can catch or block nearly as well as williams. which is why white isn't as good as williams, or as good as bush, or even maroney. i'm starting to think addai is better, too. reminds me of ronnie brown. for a team like the packers who need a back who can do it all, they'd be dumb to take lendale white.

Wow Lendale White not better than those guys? Maybe Bush and Williams but the rest. :sidelol:
White was not in there all the time because on third down they wanted Bush in there for the 2 yard pass that went 70 yards.

jonanthans said:
Bill Walsh considers it a west coast offense, so I will go with that, you are more than entitled to your opinion.

And, DeAngelo averaged less than 2 catches per game in his 4 year career at Memphis, and only had 30 TOTAL Catches in his last 2 seasons COMBINED, so how he fits in your plans for Green Bay's WCO doesn't add up.
i never heard walsh say anything about USC's offense being west coast.

it's not about the stats, it's about their ability. williams is a better receiver out of the backfield than white. it's as simple as that. he fits the west coast more as a result.

Skeet84 said:
Wow Lendale White not better than those guys? Maybe Bush and Williams but the rest. :sidelol:
White was not in there all the time because on third down they wanted Bush in there for the 2 yard pass that went 70 yards.
i never heard white's name till the rose bowl. then suddenly everyone gathered the opinion that he's the best back in the draft. he's a big guy who runs between the tackles well, but he makes too many moves sometimes, a la ron dayne, and it worked for him in college because of the line he played behind, but won't work in the NFL. he doesn't have NEAR the running ability as bush, williams, and maroney.

Juan Cribbs said:
i never heard white's name till the rose bowl. then suddenly everyone gathered the opinion that he's the best back in the draft.

Then you have obviously not watched enough of him to make this opinion, with as many times as you post on this forum, I would have figured you to be pretty educated on someone of his stature in the college ranks. He scored 14touchdowns in his freshman season, then scored 17 in his sophmore season, which is when everyone really started to take notice. He was on the radar long before 2005 when he scored 26 touchdowns. How did you NOT hear his name until the Rose Bowl?:dolphins:

Juan Cribbs said:
i never heard white's name till the rose bowl. then suddenly everyone gathered the opinion that he's the best back in the draft. he's a big guy who runs between the tackles well, but he makes too many moves sometimes, a la ron dayne, and it worked for him in college because of the line he played behind, but won't work in the NFL. he doesn't have NEAR the running ability as bush, williams, and maroney.

You just said you had never heard of him before the Rose bowl so right there makes me think about why you even have an opinion on this guy. When I dont know something about someone I usaully just try and keep quiet and learn more other than 1 game. I have whatched him alot and I honestly think he might be the best back in the draft. White split time with the Heisman trophy winner and still had a good year! He does not have top end speed or the best catching the ball, But he is a brusier. Now I am not saying he goes to Green Bay cause that early however I think he is gunna be a good pick up for maybe Baltimore.

jonanthans said:
Then you have obviously not watched enough of him to make this opinion, with as many times as you post on this forum, I would have figured you to be pretty educated on someone of his stature in the college ranks. He scored 14touchdowns in his freshman season, then scored 17 in his sophmore season, which is when everyone really started to take notice. He was on the radar long before 2005 when he scored 26 touchdowns. How did you NOT hear his name until the Rose Bowl?:dolphins:
i didn't mean i hadn't heard of him, i mean i haven't heard anyone mention his name in the same breath as the top backs before the rose bowl. that's why i'm not sold on him, because i've watched him more than other people apparently. i should've said it better...:tongue:

Juan Cribbs said:
i didn't mean i hadn't heard of him, i mean i haven't heard anyone mention his name in the same breath as the top backs before the rose bowl. that's why i'm not sold on him, because i've watched him more than other people apparently. i should've said it better...:tongue:

Well, if the Packers take a RB with the #5 overall pick someone should be dragged onto The Tundra and beat with a block of limburgh anyhow, they have a ton more pressing needs than Rb. We're beating a dead horse with this subject anyhow.

jonanthans said:
Well, if the Packers take a RB with the #5 overall pick someone should be dragged onto The Tundra and beat with a block of limburgh anyhow, they have a ton more pressing needs than Rb. We're beating a dead horse with this subject anyhow.

Yeah and if they want a RB that bad I am almost positive someone will trade up to get one of those guys on Defense

Caps said:
Green Bay are a bunch of idiots if they take anyone other than Mario Williams or AJ Hawk IMO.

for argument's sake, ahman green is coming off knee surgery and is a free agent. najeh davenport is coming off knee surgery and is a free agent. if you're the gm in green bay, do you have that much faith in samkon gado to be a franchise running back that you don't draft a deangelo williams or a lendale white? would you not consider drafting one of the aforementioned rb's, and getting maybe bobby carpenter at the beginning of the second? or do you stick with hawk or williams, and hope joseph addai is still there with the second? gado was good, but he's hardly a guy you can build upon. have to believe that part of the problem with favre last year was because no one took the running game seriously, and overplayed the pass.

having said all that, i think white will be a monster, better than williams. he'll have to adjust his game, get a little harder, but he has great size, good speed for a guy his size, he can catch the ball, has a nose for the endzone. imo, he's like ronnie brown - not as talented, but a similar type of back. just some thoughts...

deangelo williams will be a better back than White. White was only a good back because he complimented Bush so well. If Bush woulda been on anothe team, White would just be an average back on a good team. I like him and all, but I think it could be a stretch going over Williams. I also think GB has alot bigger needs than a RB that high, just a thought

GB needs so much help at OL and on defense I'd be shocked if they went RB when they have the chance to use Dookie Davenport and Gado.

jonanthans said:
if green and davenport are gone, their biggest need is RB.

Juan Cribbs said:
if green and davenport are gone, their biggest need is RB.

Why?

They gave up a pick to KC for Samkon Gado.
143 attempts, 582 yards, 4.1 avg, and 7 total Td's in 5 games.
Plus, he is 5'11 and 225 lbs, and he is 23 years old.
Their need is OLine and Defense. Even Wr would be a lot better pick for them than Rb.

Back
Top Bottom