Lessons Learned from the Playoffs | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Lessons Learned from the Playoffs

What we learned was that our coaching needs to step , our qb needs to take a giant leap when playing big games and home games in the playoffs doesn't mean much
that is true but when you hire first time headcoaches you get to learn on the job and young coaches make mistakes

that is true but when you hire first time headcoaches you get to learn on the job and young coaches make mistakes
Yes but, Miami didn't hire just a first-time Head Coach, they hired a guy with no experience at calling plays and running an offense. IOW, McDaniel is not just learning how to be a HC, he also has to learn how to be an OC... something that he should already know how to do but doesn't. That's the equivalent of buying a race car and giving the keys to a kid who doesn't know how to drive.

Why do people keep saying that home games in the playoffs don’t matter? Because KC won two on the road? That’s possible if you have a Mahomes at qb but we don’t and neither does anyone else in the league. We might not ever see a player like him again. We will need a San Fran like scenario to reach a superbowl with Tua at qb. First round bye and two home games against flawed opponents.

Maybe Purdy will prove me wrong but he seems to me to be the ultimate Jimmy G, yesterday aside from the miracle to ayuk and the qualit decision making of Campbell they lose the game easily
He has struggled in the first half of both playoff wins. But, I do think he's already better than Garoppolo ever was. Purdy has had a lot more success with deep throws, where Garoppolo really struggled.

Why do people keep saying that home games in the playoffs don’t matter? Because KC won two on the road? That’s possible if you have a Mahomes at qb but we don’t and neither does anyone else in the league. We might not ever see a player like him again. We will need a San Fran like scenario to reach a superbowl with Tua at qb. First round bye and two home games against flawed opponents.
Agree. Unless, Grier and company build the team differently to have cold weather success. A few tweaks could help, but this is a timing offensive built on speed.

In that regard, I think home field really matters for Miami.

Warner is the best in the game, he excels against the run and pass, and can blitz.

Every team needs one of those, the Dolphins especially. Long Jr is good against the run, but coverage is lacking. I'm not sure if Baker excels at anything, doesn't seem to anyways.
Cooper in the draft?

That's a tough one. Miami picks #21. Is there a quarterback there who would be an upgrade? There are several that I like, including Michigan's J.J. McCarthy.

But, as we know, the Dolphins could take a quarterback in the 1st round for five straight years and not find one as good as Tua.
yes but i view it differently. if you think tua is not the guy, but there is no good replacement right now, do you lock him into a five year deal just because there is no better answer? i say no. that is the tannehill 2.0 deal. you just sign up for 5 years of mediocrity when you overpay a qb you dont believe in and give them a long term deal. you have to take the pain and move on, as awful as that sounds. plus what is the difference between 8-9 or 9-8 and 5-12? they are both irrelevant. if tua gets $40mm per year, and all that talent gets blown off the roster, this is what is going to happen. people are already complaining about the OL and weapons and this and that. well where does all that stuff go if tua gets the $40mm?

Just read an article that was hyping the super bowl and how much the Kansas City and San Francisco rosters have changed since they met in the big game four years ago.

Basically, the article was saying how these teams were smart not to overspend on talent. KC traded away Hill as an example, and spread the money around, taking the defense to another level. San Francisco traded Buckner, replaced Garoppolo etc. Even though they made a mistake on Trey Lance, they hit on Brock Purdy.

Stability in the coaching staff was also mentioned, as the article highlighted Shanahan getting off to a rough start with the 49ers but how the organization stuck with him.

So, basically the message for Miami might be don't overspend on Wilkins, give McDaniel time etc.
Even thought the missed on Lance, they hit on Purdy???? Purdy was the last pick in the draft. By the grace of god, they "hit" on Purdy. Their front got totally bailed out on that botched pick. They should be in jail the next few years for what they gave up for Lance. They are not an example to follow.

no idea what everyone is going on about the offensive line.

a very good line was built (as i have said numerous times in other threads).

Armstead - Wynn - Williams - Hunt - Jackson.

Could it have been better? Pretty much any offensive line in NFL history "could have been better."

Then Armstead did what Armstead unfortunately does. Miss time.

What happens?

Kendall Lamm steps in and, while he is no Terron Armstead, he played LT far better than I could have hoped for.

That is good offensive line construction.

Connor Williams was a top 3 center virtually all season, until he was injured and out for the year.

Unlike the good fortune we had with Lamm, you aren't replacing that guy from the bench.

Do I wish we had a top 10 or top 15 center just hanging out on the bench in case of injury? Of course, but that isn't really realistic.

When Eich had Wynn to his left and Hunt to his right, he held up ok at center, but again, Connor was virtually the top guy.

Then Wynn goes out, then Hunt goes out, then Austin even missed time.

So you are plugging in Cotton, Jones, Kion Smith, etc. etc. etc. and things were rocky.

So what is your real criticism? Our projected top five wasn't up to your standard? Our depth was insufficient? Something else?

If it's the second one, I'm pretty sure every team in the league laments they aren't 2 and 3 deep with (quality) starting caliber players on the OLine.
To your point, had this unit remained relatively healthy this could have been an entirely different season.

When Trent Williams went down, along with Deebo Samuel, San Francisco lost three straight. Miami had a significant number of injuries. That should probably be one takeaway.

To your point, had this unit remained relatively healthy this could have been an entirely different season.

When Trent Williams went down, along with Deebo Samuel, San Francisco lost three straight. Miami had a significant number of injuries. That should probably be one takeaway.
Indeed, my friend. Indeed.

Even thought the missed on Lance, they hit on Purdy???? Purdy was the last pick in the draft. By the grace of god, they "hit" on Purdy. Their front got totally bailed out on that botched pick. They should be in jail the next few years for what they gave up for Lance. They are not an example to follow.
Sometimes luck is involved. Look at the biggest play yesterday in the Detroit game. A pass that should have been intercepted turns into a 49ers touchdown.

New England lucked out with Brady. Same for SF with Purdy.

Better teams are built for sustained success because they build through the draft and supplement via FA, not the other way around. Our OL has been an issue for over a decade and it still isn't fixed. The 2 best players are very expensive FA, one having serious issues staying on the field. Hunt is decent, which in terms of our OL, make him and All Pro (which he isn't).

The severe weakness of the OL has been somewhat masked with a QB who can quickly and accurately get rid if the ball in 2.23 seconds. However this is not ideal to win championships or even consistently against the better teams. This is on the GM and the HC calling the plays, WAYYYYYYYY more than it is on the QB.

We need to be better at drafting PERIOD! EZ and Cam smith for example have barely sniffed the field. In my opinion Chris Greer is never going to be the type of GM that can consistently draft well enough to keep this team competitive and/or having to overspend in FA because of drafting weakness. He needs to go, NOW!

Back
Top Bottom