Let Starks walk, move Odrick inside, sign or draft pass rushing DE | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Let Starks walk, move Odrick inside, sign or draft pass rushing DE

Vonte at 85% of his huge potential would have been great, but the true Vonte to this point was closer to 50%, ant that just was not enough... from a team standpoint where you are trying to max potential on every man on the roster. Slackers like Vonte and Marshall were a cancer to the guy's who want to succede. I could live with a stud lock down corner but I think at #12 the best will be gone.

Certainly sounds good in theory, but when you see Brandon Marshall getting ready to march into the playoffs and putting up a huge season and the Dolphins being almost forced to resign Sean Smith (not saying we wouldn't of anyways) because we have such limited CB depth due to the Vontae trade . . . I just wish our GM would of had more foresight and drafted better at these skill positions.

Truth is, we have alot of cap room . . . but we need to hit on this draft more than anything else.

i could see them using the top pick on a 3 down de and letting starks walk and moving odrick inside to dt which is his best position anyways...starks probably commands $8 mil per this offseason he'll get more money than kendall langford got from st louis no doubt about that...

probably have no choice but to keep sean smith just so you don't have so much turnover in the back end on d only good thing about that is since the first quarter of the season he's killed his market free agency wise there was a time i didn't think $10 mil per would get it done the first quarter of the year but he's now probably in the $6 mil per range and despite his poor play of late i think miami has to bite the bullet on that one...we should be proactive and lock up carroll on the cheap now before the price goes up could probably get him inked to a 3 year $5 mil deal which would be a bargain and if he did fall off the table you have very little money invested cap wise to worry about...use a top 2 round pick one of our top 3 picks on a cb they go fast you better not wait around on corners or you'll be left empty handed

in free agency priority number uno should be getting a high end level wr...5 years $50 mil something in that range...one of mike wallace dwayne bowe or greg jennings needs to be a dolphin...we need guys ready now...still i'd use a top 2 round top 3 pick of ours on a wr also to add to the talent at the position which is lacking...if you add mike wallace you add a much needed speed element that must be respected you add bowe you add a win wr at the los and off press and a run after the catch provider who can win in the red zone and plays to his size...something this core needs desperately...jennings gives you the smarts for this system and the jack of all trades ability and he understands db leverage and runs the best back shoulder route in the game...no excuses miami must land a difference making wr in free agency

offer jake long 2 years and $12 mil if he balks let him walk...can always kick martin over to the left side and use a mid round pick on a right tackle or a veteran signing on the relative cheap...

lose reggie bush mr terrible fit for the zone inside running game way too much east and west for this o...give the keys to lamar miller for the starting job but cover yourself by adding a veteran on the cheap that runs downhill and angry like a chris ivory...you can find guys like that very cheap and they'll outproduce their pay...ivory probably less than $1 million...

on the fence about fasano but he's the only guy that can play in line and block...egnews never gonna block anyone clays not gonna win in line off tackle so fasano probably needs to stick...

shocker signing for me that i would make is chris clemons...yep mr stiff hips and no ball skills and playmaking ability at free safety...he hasn't made any plays on the ball this year and probably never will but he's been pretty solid all told and miamis got too many other big needs to let him walk when they can sign him cheap...i'm thinking 1 year $3 mil...enough that he won't go elsewhere and he allows you another year to by time before you make free safety a priority if you need to...

pretty easy and simple plan for the offseason...i might be more inclined to sign starks though provided i can maybe talk him into 3 years and $20 mil just so i don't kill my depth at dt...but odrick will play a high end 43 dt for you so tough one to call...

sign hartline nothing more than $6 mil per...he's earned a new contract with the team and he can make some plays against #2 cbs and nickle guys etc while our alpha wr opposite him takes on the top level corner on each team...

I'm pretty sure the cut him from IR I might be wrong though. Well they went with Davis and Smith as rookies so anything is possible but no way you tag smith with what it cost for a cb!

Tagging him at 10 million for one year is better than giving him 7 or 8 million a year over 5 years if he's not a guy you think will ever put it all together. I haven't really looked into who will be available at CB next year but I'm guessing Sean Smith is one of the top CB's on that list.

i could see them using the top pick on a 3 down de and letting starks walk and moving odrick inside to dt which is his best position anyways...starks probably commands $8 mil per this offseason he'll get more money than kendall langford got from st louis no doubt about that...

probably have no choice but to keep sean smith just so you don't have so much turnover in the back end on d only good thing about that is since the first quarter of the season he's killed his market free agency wise there was a time i didn't think $10 mil per would get it done the first quarter of the year but he's now probably in the $6 mil per range and despite his poor play of late i think miami has to bite the bullet on that one...we should be proactive and lock up carroll on the cheap now before the price goes up could probably get him inked to a 3 year $5 mil deal which would be a bargain and if he did fall off the table you have very little money invested cap wise to worry about...use a top 2 round pick one of our top 3 picks on a cb they go fast you better not wait around on corners or you'll be left empty handed

in free agency priority number uno should be getting a high end level wr...5 years $50 mil something in that range...one of mike wallace dwayne bowe or greg jennings needs to be a dolphin...we need guys ready now...still i'd use a top 2 round top 3 pick of ours on a wr also to add to the talent at the position which is lacking...if you add mike wallace you add a much needed speed element that must be respected you add bowe you add a win wr at the los and off press and a run after the catch provider who can win in the red zone and plays to his size...something this core needs desperately...jennings gives you the smarts for this system and the jack of all trades ability and he understands db leverage and runs the best back shoulder route in the game...no excuses miami must land a difference making wr in free agency

offer jake long 2 years and $12 mil if he balks let him walk...can always kick martin over to the left side and use a mid round pick on a right tackle or a veteran signing on the relative cheap...

lose reggie bush mr terrible fit for the zone inside running game way too much east and west for this o...give the keys to lamar miller for the starting job but cover yourself by adding a veteran on the cheap that runs downhill and angry like a chris ivory...you can find guys like that very cheap and they'll outproduce their pay...ivory probably less than $1 million...

on the fence about fasano but he's the only guy that can play in line and block...egnews never gonna block anyone clays not gonna win in line off tackle so fasano probably needs to stick...

shocker signing for me that i would make is chris clemons...yep mr stiff hips and no ball skills and playmaking ability at free safety...he hasn't made any plays on the ball this year and probably never will but he's been pretty solid all told and miamis got too many other big needs to let him walk when they can sign him cheap...i'm thinking 1 year $3 mil...enough that he won't go elsewhere and he allows you another year to by time before you make free safety a priority if you need to...

pretty easy and simple plan for the offseason...i might be more inclined to sign starks though provided i can maybe talk him into 3 years and $20 mil just so i don't kill my depth at dt...but odrick will play a high end 43 dt for you so tough one to call...

sign hartline nothing more than $6 mil per...he's earned a new contract with the team and he can make some plays against #2 cbs and nickle guys etc while our alpha wr opposite him takes on the top level corner on each team...

dont disagree with much here but i can tell you one thing... if we sign dwayne bowe to a 10 mil per year deal, when people actually get a chance to watch how he plays and bad his hands are, they are gonna forget all about how many balls Brandon Marshall dropped. gonna be some serious buyers remorse on that one.

IMO its Greg Jennings all day. will probably be cheaper, and a healthy greg is still a better receiver than either of those guys. we all know mike wallace has all world speed, but the more i watch him the less i see him truly being able to make that next step into being a truly elite receiver. It kind of reminds me of Desean Jackson (not in regards to his height) but in regards to how his game progressed from purely a deep threat into an elite deep threat with moderate ability in other areas for about a year... and then just regressed and never has been able to get over the hump. Mike Wallace has the benefit of a qb who will relentlessly attempt to get him the ball, and I'm just not sold that Mike will take the next step.

I'd rather sign greg, draft a WR or two, and use the extra 2 million by not spending max dollars on wallace or bowe to continue to address other holes. you cant fix all the holes this offseason and lord knows we already have enough as is... still need 2 more guys in the secondary, another pass rusher, possibly 2 OG, possibly a RT if jake walks and we slide martin over, still need a WR or 2, a modern day receiving tight end.... not to mention we need depth at positions other than DT.

gonna be an interesting off season... thats for sure

I agree with almost everything except not resigning Bush. I wanna see how they use him these last 3 games before making that decision. I'm not a fan of letting guys who can be bonafide playmakers walk when I think more of the reason for underproducing is the way that he has been used. Reggie Bush should be Ryan Tannehill's favorite target . . . and we just haven't seen that employed enough.

I'm cool with resigning Fasano, Hartline, Clemmons, Bush and Sean Smith. I'd also resign Tony McDaniel to lessen the blow of not resigning Randy Starks. I would also let Jake Long walk.

I fully agree that we need to gamble on a big time WR in FA. I'd also try to get Jared Cook to come down here. I would also draft atleast 1 WR in the first 3 rounds, possibly 2.

I think we have to make WR the priority signing for FA, other that some of our own, and still draft WR with #2 or one of our 3rd's. Long is a big question mark for me. Starks yes at the right price but I don't really see that, he'll command more than we will pay on the market. Both Smith and Long have hurt their FA status money wise but just how much?

dont disagree with much here but i can tell you one thing... if we sign dwayne bowe to a 10 mil per year deal, when people actually get a chance to watch how he plays and bad his hands are, they are gonna forget all about how many balls Brandon Marshall dropped. gonna be some serious buyers remorse on that one.

IMO its Greg Jennings all day. will probably be cheaper, and a healthy greg is still a better receiver than either of those guys. we all know mike wallace has all world speed, but the more i watch him the less i see him truly being able to make that next step into being a truly elite receiver. It kind of reminds me of Desean Jackson (not in regards to his height) but in regards to how his game progressed from purely a deep threat into an elite deep threat with moderate ability in other areas for about a year... and then just regressed and never has been able to get over the hump. Mike Wallace has the benefit of a qb who will relentlessly attempt to get him the ball, and I'm just not sold that Mike will take the next step.

I'd rather sign greg, draft a WR or two, and use the extra 2 million by not spending max dollars on wallace or bowe to continue to address other holes. you cant fix all the holes this offseason and lord knows we already have enough as is... still need 2 more guys in the secondary, another pass rusher, possibly 2 OG, possibly a RT if jake walks and we slide martin over, still need a WR or 2, a modern day receiving tight end.... not to mention we need depth at positions other than DT.

jennings would be my top choice also...he's a little less explosive since he came back but he'll work that rust off...probably can get him also for less than 5 years and less than $10 mil per...i bet mike wallace though gets $10 mil per...and he might be the one the staff covets the most cause it's glaring how little teams respect us vertically right now...and he'd eat up cushions in a hurry...bowe i've seen enough this year to say he'd help us an awful lot...drops and all

i think it's easier to find what the other guys bring to the table in the draft than it is what mike wallace does...that cat blows lids off defenses and his route running has gotten much better...plus he can run so many things off that vertical stem against bailing dbs and safeties...

I am ambivalent on Busch. I don't think he has been optimized in his usage, and I don't really understand why. I thought he would be used more in the passing game ( but I thought we would run more no huddle too) to create mis-matches???

Re-sign Starks. Let McDaniels walk. Move Odrick back inside and sit Soliai on 3rd downs. Draft a pass rush DE or let Vernon develop.

You don't just let the anchor of your Defense and D-line walk out of town.

I agree with your plan. Starks is too valuable to let him walk.

I think this gets overlooked more than anything and is the reason I really want this draft to be focused on defense, outside of getting a WR and a OG or 2. I don't want Jason Trusnick and whatever bums we have as "depth" to ever have to step on the field again. I want some young LB from this draft to take his spot and who can play specials. I want a first round DE, but I want another pass rushing DE later in the draft as well. We need a depth overhaul, because this season could have been alot worse if we got plagued with injuries.

I like Wallace a LOT.. not so much for Bowe who I think is a smaller Marshall 2.0. Jennings would make me happy too.

no doubt this team needs depth at lb...we have none...a mike is the way i'd go...all day long...mid round pick

as for bush you guys can have him...i'm done with that crap b/t the tackles...those highlight plays don't make up for all those 2 yard losses and east and west stuff and when he does get into the 2nd level on the inside and the safety comes up he just stops...no north and south...no more 200 lb jitterbug who won't press the hole b/t the tackles for me please

No. Our Dline is a strength. Enough addition by subtraction. Try and re-sign Starks, give Vernon some time to develop for god's sake. A great help to a pass rush is a good secondary which we without question do NOT have. Get me some players that are at the very least average in coverage, then tell me how bad our pass rush is.

only way i'd bring back tony mcdaniel who's stole money this year b/t is if he took something like a vet minimum deal...he's not a 43 dt anyways...i'll allocate that money better elsewhere...although i can see the argument that if you lose starks you should keep him for depth...i'd rather get better depth though

Back
Top Bottom