Let Starks walk, move Odrick inside, sign or draft pass rushing DE | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Let Starks walk, move Odrick inside, sign or draft pass rushing DE

No. Our Dline is a strength. Enough addition by subtraction. Try and re-sign Starks, give Vernon some time to develop for god's sake. A great help to a pass rush is a good secondary which we without question do NOT have. Get me some players that are at the very least average in coverage, then tell me how bad our pass rush is.

Vernon has never been a guy who is going to be this solid pass rusher . . . he is a solid run defender, even back at UM but he's a versatile guy that you can line up at DE or LB. Solid depth for this team, something we need. Odrick is a starting DT in this league, one that has alot of potential as well. If Miami ever wants to make that next step, they have to become one of these teams that can be comfortable letting good players walk because they have equally as good of a player ready to step in. I think we have that player in Jared Odrick.

---------- Post added at 01:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:49 PM ----------

Nothing major for Tony Mcdaniel . . . more of a take it or leave it type of deal. Definitely not 4 million a year, more like 2 million a year.

Vernon has never been a guy who is going to be this solid pass rusher . . . he is a solid run defender, even back at UM but he's a versatile guy that you can line up at DE or LB. Solid depth for this team, something we need. Odrick is a starting DT in this league, one that has alot of potential as well. If Miami ever wants to make that next step, they have to become one of these teams that can be comfortable letting good players walk because they have equally as good of a player ready to step in. I think we have that player in Jared Odrick.

---------- Post added at 01:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:49 PM ----------

Vernon has shown that he has the potential to pass rush. I think people forget that it is EXTREMELY rare to find a complete all around player. For example, JT back in day. He was an outstanding pass rusher but people knew that they had to run AT him all game. Not complete but extremely good. To find a DE who can play the run as well as the pass at an elite level, you are talking about top 1-3 picks in the draft. Mario Williams, Julius Peppers,etc. If you look at many teams, they have one pure pass rusher who generally tries to line up on the side opposite the TE. On the other side you have a more stout DE who plays the run a bit better. We run a 4-3 not a 3-4 anymore. The 3-4 would allow us to have 2 pure pass rushers on the outside if we have monsters taking up the inside.

What im getting at is that we need to get Vernon more reps (which will come with another offseason). And let his pass rushing abilities catch up to his run stopping skills.

Having WR's actually being covered for over 2 seconds would be nice also.

I also think Kheeston Randall could be ready for a bigger role next year as a primary backup. He has shown some good things this year in his time in

limited looks but randall to date has only shown me rotational dt level stuff...not shown any front line upside for the future yet...but he's also a pup

Yea I like Randall as well . . . another kid who should get better with time. Obviously not ready to start but I could see him getting a bigger role next season if Starks walks.

I'd love to address LB and that may be the answer for the pass rush, but at #12 there may not be the difference maker we need. Identifying play makers has been a problem and as much as i have defended Ireland, his 2 year record in this area is not great. The 3 starters are pretty good but there is no depth. We also have had NO game changing plays from this group, so an upgrade there is needed. There are just more prioritized need IMHO.

jennings would be my top choice also...he's a little less explosive since he came back but he'll work that rust off...probably can get him also for less than 5 years and less than $10 mil per...i bet mike wallace though gets $10 mil per...and he might be the one the staff covets the most cause it's glaring how little teams respect us vertically right now...and he'd eat up cushions in a hurry...bowe i've seen enough this year to say he'd help us an awful lot...drops and all

i think it's easier to find what the other guys bring to the table in the draft than it is what mike wallace does...that cat blows lids off defenses and his route running has gotten much better...plus he can run so many things off that vertical stem against bailing dbs and safeties...

dont get me wrong there isnt any doubt in my mind that wallace and bowe are clear cut upgrades at a position of need not only on our roster but in todays NFL.. im just saying from a pure value standpoint based on what we are going to have to pay to acquire either one of them... im not convinced that we are buying a mike wallace that will be much better than he was this year... to me if you are going to pay a WR 10 million per year, he has to play at a level higher than what Mike Wallace might turn into. This week isnt the best example because he came to play (my god did you see the laser big ben threw to him while being dragged down then reset and launched, god that was beautiful). but bowe will forever claim to his breakout year a few years ago where he had like 15 tds.. and the truth is bowe to me IS brandon marshall just a step down. similar type of player, physical, will go up and grab the ball, can create separation at the LOS and use his body to his advantage.. but has the same mental make up (focus wise, not off the field) and will drop balls all over the field. not to mention if you've watched the chiefs this year at all and over the years... as hard as it has been sometimes, bowe gets a TON of his production in garbage time whent he game is completely lost and over late in the 4th qtr....

i wouldnt be sad one bit if we signed Mike Wallace to whatever monster contract he's gonna command because even though the money might be out of line, the kid can play.... but if i wake up during the offseason and see we signed bowe to anything over 8 mill per year and claim the WR position is now set.... it would just be another big dolphins FA blunder in my mind

Vernon has shown that he has the potential to pass rush. I think people forget that it is EXTREMELY rare to find a complete all around player. For example, JT back in day. He was an outstanding pass rusher but people knew that they had to run AT him all game. Not complete but extremely good. To find a DE who can play the run as well as the pass at an elite level, you are talking about top 1-3 picks in the draft. Mario Williams, Julius Peppers,etc. If you look at many teams, they have one pure pass rusher who generally tries to line up on the side opposite the TE. On the other side you have a more stout DE who plays the run a bit better. We run a 4-3 not a 3-4 anymore. The 3-4 would allow us to have 2 pure pass rushers on the outside if we have monsters taking up the inside.

What im getting at is that we need to get Vernon more reps (which will come with another offseason). And let his pass rushing abilities catch up to his run stopping skills.

Having WR's actually being covered for over 2 seconds would be nice also.

I like Vernon I just know what I have seen from him at his time at UM and this season, he's not a pass rusher . . . he may get a sack here and there but his strength is defending the run. Still I agree about getting him on the field more, I love his versatility, but I'm good with him being a solid and versatile guy on our depth chart for our front 7 going into next season. I still think we need a big time pass rusher/all around guy at DE and those type of guys are found in the first round.

I'd love to address LB and that may be the answer for the pass rush, but at #12 there may not be the difference maker we need. Identifying play makers has been a problem and as much as i have defended Ireland, his 2 year record in this area is not great. The 3 starters are pretty good but there is no depth. We also have had NO game changing plays from this group, so an upgrade there is needed. There are just more prioritized need IMHO.

I think I can live with Dansby - Burnett - Misi going into next season but if not this draft, the next draft we definitely need a LB being drafted to take over for Dansby or Burnett as their contracts near the end. But you are right, the lack of plays made by those 3 outside of tackling is a bit disappointing. It's the reason why you have to put guys like Jarvis Jones and Manti Te'o in play if they are on the board. BPA.

I wouldn't mind getting Arthur Brown in this draft on Day 2.

I am all for keeping players if they do not break the bank before gambling on portential talent in the draft. My question on Starks would be his age and how much he has in the gas tank. THe way to play the draft is like the Pats draft to the best talent in the draft and if it fills a poistion of need so be it but if it fills a position of strength then trade that veteran players off which is why the Pats have so many high picks every year. With FA you can find gap fillers until you hit on the draft for the youth at that position. Longs play has leveled off we all know, Sean Smith is up and down, Hartline has been steady to good, Bush our top offensive threat, Fasano very steady and very good all around TE. Glad that Ireland wrapped up Wake and Paul Solai to very decent contracts. (We are talking contracts here guys not saying Ireland is great). Anyway it will be interesting to see who Ireland or whomever is GM resigns because I would say Starks. Fasano and Bush are the better of the guys listed which means that OL on top of WR and CB have to be addressed. If we could resign most of these guys then of course WR, CB, TE ,LB and unfoutenatly OL stick out biggest needs IMO.

Keep Starks and let Odrick go. Odrick hasn't done anything at all. Draft or FA pass rusher after we get a RECEIVER!

I think I can live with Dansby - Burnett - Misi going into next season but if not this draft, the next draft we definitely need a LB being drafted to take over for Dansby or Burnett as their contracts near the end. But you are right, the lack of plays made by those 3 outside of tackling is a bit disappointing. It's the reason why you have to put guys like Jarvis Jones and Manti Te'o in play if they are on the board. BPA.

I wouldn't mind getting Arthur Brown in this draft on Day 2.

Misi is the only linebacker with a forced fumble this season
he has 2

Misi is the only linebacker with a forced fumble this season
he has 2

Understood, but Dansby and Burnett are both decent in coverage and they tackle. Plus they have big cap numbers. It's almost like pick your poison . . .upgrade the LB group with 2 forced fumbles or upgrade the WR group with only 3 TD's or the CB group with 3 INT"s or upgrade the heavy footed offensive guards.

But yea, having a couple of guys ready to compete for a spot at LB definitely wouldn't hurt.

Keep Starks and let Odrick go. Odrick hasn't done anything at all. Draft or FA pass rusher after we get a RECEIVER!

Odrick wouldn't get let go even if you kept Starks. The guy makes $700,000 each of the next 2 years . . . why would he get let go? He hasn't done anything? He plays out of position. You are talking about giving Randy Starks a good 7 or 8 million dollar a year contract. Hey if they announce his resigning today I have no problem with it . . . I'm just saying if letting Randy Starks walk, putting Jared Odrick in his natural position as a 4-3 DT and getting a solid WR in FA is the result . . . I'm all for letting him walk.

Tough call, but you already know what Starks can do, and not sure about Odrick being as stout up the middle, but I would love a great pass rusher like Avril, as long as we improve our edge rush I would be fine, but no old washed up players

Back
Top Bottom