Let Starks walk, move Odrick inside, sign or draft pass rushing DE | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Let Starks walk, move Odrick inside, sign or draft pass rushing DE

AVRIL? Have you watched him at all this year? I respectfully disagree, the guy is by no means very good this year. He's the benefactor of playing on the same line as Nick Fairley, who is absolutely dominant right now, and to a lesser degree Suh.

At least you didn't say Kyle Vandenbosch because ugh

If we used him right he is still a serious weapon. We need to keep the weapons on offense we have and add more. Getting rid of reggie bush is a mistake his body is fresh he was not a starting running back with the saints so he didnt take a beating. He can probably go another 3-4 years at a high level.

Didn't take a beating? You might want to check his injury history...

Tony McDaniel would command, at the very least, 2 million a year to resign. We aren't doing that with the drafting of Kheestan. He was brought in to replace Tony McD.

Would people do a 180 on Ireland if he were able to keep Starks next off-season, ala Paul Soliai and his mega cheap deal?

Tony McDaniel would command, at the very least, 2 million a year to resign. We aren't doing that with the drafting of Kheestan. He was brought in to replace Tony McD.

Would people do a 180 on Ireland if he were able to keep Starks next off-season, ala Paul Soliai and his mega cheap deal?

Well the thing with Paul is, he's a Free Agent after next season so resigning Randy Starks to a big deal could mean letting Paul Soliai walk. I have to wonder who are we more willing to let walk . . . Big Paul or Big Randy?

Well the thing with Paul is, he's a Free Agent after next season so resigning Randy Starks to a big deal could mean letting Paul Soliai walk. I have to wonder who are we more willing to let walk . . . Big Paul or Big Randy?

You're exactly right and that's a great point. What do you think Ireland does, approaches with another 2 year deal as he did with Soliai? It's not as if they were unwilling to commit to a guy that age for a longer term (Wake). The evidence suggests, in my eyes, that Soliai is likely walking.

Or maybe they are waiting to see how Odrick performs in the 4-3 DT position? I simply don't know. It's an absolute log jam of talent in the DT position with money we desperately need elsewhere. I think if Starks wants a huge payday, he's going to walk. We simply can't afford to pay him with all the holes we have.

Then again this could be sovled if Jake walks, which leaves us another hole and ughhh I just got a headache.

You're exactly right and that's a great point. What do you think Ireland does, approaches with another 2 year deal as he did with Soliai? It's not as if they were unwilling to commit to a guy that age for a longer term (Wake). The evidence suggests, in my eyes, that Soliai is likely walking.

Or maybe they are waiting to see how Odrick performs in the 4-3 DT position? I simply don't know. It's an absolute log jam of talent in the DT position with money we desperately need elsewhere. I think if Starks wants a huge payday, he's going to walk. We simply can't afford to pay him with all the holes we have.

Then again this could be sovled if Jake walks, which leaves us another hole and ughhh I just got a headache.

It's easier for me. I'm content in letting Jake Long walk, even if it means our OLine struggles next year. 10% of the cap is too much to give a player that A. Been oft injured the last 3 seasons which has caused a decline and B. doesn't fit the scheme C. Plays a position like OLine instead of an "impact" position. I'm also content in letting Starks walk because of the talent we have at DT and the ability of the GM to find more of it.

What worries me is, that even with all of these draft picks and all of this money . . . can we trust in Ireland/Philbin to get the necessary guys in to make this a solid team. I'm not sold on Philbin to do that and I'm certainly not sold on Ireland to do it either.

dont disagree with much here but i can tell you one thing... if we sign dwayne bowe to a 10 mil per year deal, when people actually get a chance to watch how he plays and bad his hands are, they are gonna forget all about how many balls Brandon Marshall dropped. gonna be some serious buyers remorse on that one.

IMO its Greg Jennings all day. will probably be cheaper, and a healthy greg is still a better receiver than either of those guys. we all know mike wallace has all world speed, but the more i watch him the less i see him truly being able to make that next step into being a truly elite receiver. It kind of reminds me of Desean Jackson (not in regards to his height) but in regards to how his game progressed from purely a deep threat into an elite deep threat with moderate ability in other areas for about a year... and then just regressed and never has been able to get over the hump. Mike Wallace has the benefit of a qb who will relentlessly attempt to get him the ball, and I'm just not sold that Mike will take the next step.

I'd rather sign greg, draft a WR or two, and use the extra 2 million by not spending max dollars on wallace or bowe to continue to address other holes. you cant fix all the holes this offseason and lord knows we already have enough as is... still need 2 more guys in the secondary, another pass rusher, possibly 2 OG, possibly a RT if jake walks and we slide martin over, still need a WR or 2, a modern day receiving tight end.... not to mention we need depth at positions other than DT.

gonna be an interesting off season... thats for sure
Bowe has less drops this year than most WR's who are considered elite... With garbage QBs, Horrible OC that shouldn't be in the NFL, and bad talent after him in the WR core making him the more obvious man to cover from a defensive perspective. If only Bowe had the luxury of Jennings with the Best QB NFL, Good playcalling, and talent all around him.

Bowe has less drops this year than most WR's who are considered elite... With garbage QBs, Horrible OC that shouldn't be in the NFL, and bad talent after him in the WR core making him the more obvious man to cover from a defensive perspective. If only Bowe had the luxury of Jennings with the Best QB NFL, Good playcalling, and talent all around him.

you have any evidence to back this up? asking honestly, not calling you out or anything. because im going to go out on a limb and say that Bowe has probably 5 or 6 drops this year which isn't terrible but that actual number means nothing... what you have to factor in is the percentage of drops relative to how many catchable balls he was thrown.

Im willing to guess that most players who are high in the league in drops (demarius thomas or AJ green comes to mind) are going to be leading the raw number of drops simply because they get thrown the ball more, but that their catch percentage is going to be way higher than dwayne bowes. I'd be they are up around 58-64% while dwayne bowe barely catches 50% of the balls thrown his way, if that.

If we want to even throw out this year because daboll is a crappy OC, and cassell is a crap quarterback then we have to just scoff that Jamal Charles is somehow having unbelievable success in the offense regardless of the crap around him.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2012/07/02/three-years-of-drop-rate-wide-receivers/

found some stuff on it....

this fits perfectly for your argument... this is from a three year period BEFORE this season started... so we can totally exclude this year and his crappy qb and OC.

not only was dwayne bowe 4th in raw drops over that span... he was also near the top in drop percentage rate.. you'll notice there arent many "elite" receivers he is better off than.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2012/07/02/three-years-of-drop-rate-wide-receivers/

found some stuff on it....

this fits perfectly for your argument... this is from a three year period BEFORE this season started... so we can totally exclude this year and his crappy qb and OC.

not only was dwayne bowe 4th in raw drops over that span... he was also near the top in drop percentage rate.. you'll notice there arent many "elite" receivers he is better off than.
So if brandon marshall a player Iwould easily have back and how would I forget about brandon marshall bad hands when bowe only has .1% more drop rate? Also as for charles doing good with crap talent around him that has absolutely nothing to do with bowe. Bowe does Indeed have a **** WRcore after him and has and crap QB throwing to him. Charles having a good year has nothing to do with bowe other then running the ball more because of how horrible these QBs are. Also Marshall had a worse drop % last year by good margin in ranks if we go for more recent data.

So if brandon marshall a player Iwould easily have back and how would I forget about brandon marshall bad hands when bowe only has .1% more drop rate? Also as for charles doing good with crap talent around him that has absolutely nothing to do with bowe. Bowe does Indeed have a **** WRcore after him and has and crap QB throwing to him. Charles having a good year has nothing to do with bowe other then running the ball more because of how horrible these QBs are. Also Marshall had a worse drop % last year by good margin in ranks if we go for more recent data.

calm down man... if you read through the earlier posts.. my exact stance on Bowe is that if people were sick of Brandon Marshall and his drops (which a ton of people on this board were) you are going to have buyers remorse on Dwayne Bowe. and the numbers back that up even closer than i had imagined they would.

Odrick's contract is done next year. He'll want $$ too soon enough. So the question is who's better at DT

And That is EASILY Starks.

Starks is also a tough and dependable player who is not injury prone. Odrick had 2 broken legs in college and the NFL. One more and he's done.. then what are you gonna cry ?

Keep the better, stronger, more productive, more dependable, smarter player in Starks, and let Odrick walk next year. Odrick also seems like a chump who's full of himself. Kind of a stupid fellow. Don't like too many of those types around.

Starks >>> Odrick

i don't believe starks upside and future is brighter than odricks as a 43 dt...if odricks up next year miamis gonna have to pony up...to him and solia...makes me think even more that starks is probably let go...unless he takes a team friendly deal...in the $6 mil range per would be team friendly...

then again plan with starks may have changed after jake long went out for the year again for like the 3rd time in the last 4 years...and was frankly bad when he was healthy this season

AVRIL? Have you watched him at all this year? I respectfully disagree, the guy is by no means very good this year. He's the benefactor of playing on the same line as Nick Fairley, who is absolutely dominant right now, and to a lesser degree Suh.

At least you didn't say Kyle Vandenbosch because ugh

that's exactly right...fairley is killing cats...although he is benefitting from the attention that suh is getting

by the way fellas odrick was by far the best interior pass rusher we had last year as a 43 dt..i like starks but the second teams started doubling him his production kind of fell off...good football player and i'd love to bring him back but likely priced himself out this offseason...and i'd give odrick his position and not think twice about it and expect the level of play maintain pretty much...and maybe the interior pass rush pressures etc to go up...

Back
Top Bottom