Let's all breathe for a second | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Let's all breathe for a second

OmegaPhinsFan

☠️ Banned ☠️
Reaction score
There is way too much trade talk pre-combine and free agency. I am with everyone, we need the QB of the future and it isn't Rosen. But let's not forget the big picture here, we need a QB AND we essentially need to replace two Pro-Bowlers we traded away for picks. Is the business plan to trade Pro Bowlers for picks AND to trade those picks for a QB? The best outcome overall to start filling the empty cupboards is to stay at 5, and draft players at 18 and 26, maybe even sliding down a pick or two with those later picks and getting an extra pick. Teams love trading back into the first round late, and might be willing to help our war chest in 2021.

As for Free Agency, do we really want to spend $100M in new deals and use up the cap? That model just hasn't worked and we are finally getting back funds used for bad deals. And if it isn't insult to injury, we still have $12M in dead cap money for Fitzpatrick, Alonso, McDonald and Stills. I haven't seen anyone post this stat, but lats year Miami had $66M in dead cap money, that is leftover money from players traded or released. Miami does need to accelerate their empty cupboards with some spending. Maybe one splash, but they should be big bargain shoppers on Day 2-3. Those could be shorter term deals, and as your draft picks grow in numbers, can essentially cut those free agents, with minimum hits.

Miami needs a plan for sustained growth. They do not need a one year smoke and mirrors season and then revert back, like Gase's first year. If Miami does this right, 2022 will be a magical year, with the leap in 2021. And if they are fiscally responsible, should be in a good place for years to come.

They've publicly said it was a three year rebuild plan, tearing it all down then rebuild it. Now that you are one year in and have shed all of the old roster funk and contracts of the T-bag era people are advocating moves of desperation? It makes no sense.

I'm perfectly fine with Miami sitting right there at the 5th spot and whatever happens happens. There is no need to trade away ammo in desperation because a trade up proves just that, desperation.

Right. I don't know who is advocating for depleting our full cap on this average group of FA's. I'm not one. However, I think we need to use a chunk of it around half to go ahead and fill OL spots with the veterans available. We need to do what we need to do to better our team through the draft. We HAVE to fix the QB position. I have faith in Grioer so he needs to do whatever he needs to do to get OUR guy. Then take BPA OL, RB, DE and S wise. J-OFF sees Moss as a great complimentary TE to Gesicki so would love him in round three or four.

They've publicly said it was a three year rebuild plan, tearing it all down then rebuild it. Now that you are one year in and have shed all of the old roster funk and contracts of the T-bag era people are advocating moves of desperation? It makes no sense.

I'm perfectly fine with Miami sitting right there at the 5th spot and whatever happens happens. There is no need to trade away ammo in desperation because a trade up proves just that, desperation.
Spot on, it was never sold as a one-season fix. We didn't create the mess overnight, it's going to take some time to fix it. Don't trade away all the draft capital, we need to rebuild the TEAM. Anyone who is expecting a 1-year turnaround is going to be sorely disappointed, chances are we're going to be having the same discussions at the end of next season. We were warned...

I dont see trading up for a QB as desperation at all... I mean, how many freaking picks does Grier need? He has 5x 1st, 4x 2nds, 3x 3rds plus all the other picks in the next 2 years and people still want to trade down for more... At some point, Grier has to turn those picks into players.

Last edited:
If Tua is the guy we have a conviction on and his medicals are clear I say go up and get him if you think you need to. I think we have to get to #3 and I don't want to whine that it costs us a pick. If Tua is a great franchise QB who delivers Super Bowls to Miami why even care what it cost. We could sit at 5 and get Herbert imo. If we sat at 5 and Burrow, Tua and Herbert are gone that would suck. I feel we have the 5th pick in the draft, we rarely draft that high so this is the time to snag our QB of the future. We can easily afford it.

I dont see trading up for a QB as desperation at all... I mean, how many freaking picks does Grier need? He has 5x 1st, 4x 2nds, 3x 3rds plus all the other picks in the next 2 years and people still want to trade down for more... At some point, Grier has to turn those picks into players.
Agree. That's the most important position on the field. If Miami has their eye on one particular quarterback, I have no problem with trading up. If they like multiple quarterbacks and think they can win with a few of these guys, then maybe they stay put at #5.

Getting those extra picks was, in essence, about securing the quarterback position more than anything.

Like some other posters, I think this offseason is mostly about the offense. Get the quarterback of the future, build the offensive line and get the running game going. Doesn't mean every pick will be offense, but I expect to see an emphasis there both in free agency and in the draft.

I have advised not trading up for a while. We should be able to get Herbert at #5 or trade the pick so someone else can take him, if we are not sold on him.
I think Free Agency should be for bargain shopping to cover lesser, cosmetic needs. The real issues with the team should be handled by draft picks.
I am more worried about not being able to get a quality O-linemen at #18 than I am about being able to get a QB at #5
I am also worried that there are not 26 first round worthy players to draft this year and expect a trade down with that pick for a 4th this year and a juicy 2021 pick.
For what it's worth, that's my plan for long term sustainability.

This website is like my baby mama, full of needless drama, but I still keep coming back.

All is speculation up to this point. The combine hasn't even occurred. If we trade up for an elite QB we will be fine, if we stay put at 5 and miss out on Burrow, Tua, and Chase Young we will be fine. The sky isn't falling.

This is the year of the quarterback. We could go a number of ways that could easily upgrade this team and that position. We are definitely not 1 year away from the Superbowl no matter what happens.

Last edited:
I agree that trading up is NOT desperation. It's a conviction about a player....if they do it. I can't wait to for FA so we can see where some of these QB's are going. That should clear things up a bit.

I think a few of these teams will see how hard it is going to be to compete with Miami for a QB in the top 4 or 5 and will opt for a free agent veteran. They will have to give up a lot to compete with our 5 first round picks (over the next two years) and I don't see a team giving away an entire draft (or close to it) to take a chance on an injured QB or Justin Herbert in the top 4.

Miami has so many picks they can make a trade without batting an eye. Most of those other teams only have 6 or 7 selections this year.

I have advised not trading up for a while. We should be able to get Herbert at #5 or trade the pick so someone else can take him, if we are not sold on him.
I think Free Agency should be for bargain shopping to cover lesser, cosmetic needs. The real issues with the team should be handled by draft picks.
I am more worried about not being able to get a quality O-linemen at #18 than I am about being able to get a QB at #5
I am also worried that there are not 26 first round worthy players to draft this year and expect a trade down with that pick for a 4th this year and a juicy 2021 pick.
For what it's worth, that's my plan for long term sustainability.
I would love to see the team stand pat and get their quarterback choice.

The issue is that too many teams can jump Miami for both Tua and Herbert. The Chargers pick one spot behind the Dolphins and need a quarterback, depending on what they do in free agency. The Raiders have two #1 picks and I can't see them sticking with Derek Carr. The Tom Brady rumors to both of those teams wouldn't necessarily prevent them from looking for the quarterback of the future.

I agree with you that it should be about long-term sustainability and spending wisely in free agency.

we need all the picks. how many quality starters do we have? 6-7?

Back
Top Bottom