Linebacker, Offensive Line, Safety Now Biggest Needs | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Linebacker, Offensive Line, Safety Now Biggest Needs

SF Dolphin Fan

Seasoned Veteran
Club Member
Reaction score
The Dolphins have been active in the first few days of free agency bringing in Timmons, trading for Harris, re-signing Branch and Stills. Plus, the addition of Larsen at guard and Allen at safety.

While a pass rushing defensive end is still a potential top pick for Miami, would have to say that linebacker, offensive line and safety are currently the biggest needs.

Timmons is nice, but he's a stopgap. Like the pickup, but still feel the team needs to get a linebacker early in the draft. Reddick and Davis are two who should be available at #22. Reddick is the better pass rusher, while Davis gives you more of a thumper and MLB potential. I like them both. Don't know how deep LB goes in the draft, but I hope the team doesn't wait too long to add one.

I know Gase has gotten by with less than stellar offensive guards in the past. That's a tough way to go in the AFC, though, where teams are loaded at defensive tackle. Does that open things up for another early selection on the offensive line? Considering what's left in free agency that seems like the way to go. Lamp is round 1 would have to be a real possibility. Freeney could be a round 2 target. That's more likely where Miami fills that need.

Safety is interesting. This draft is loaded at the position, but if we are serious about the BPA approach that may be where the #1 pick goes. Peppers and Baker are two safeties that could be in Miami's range. The kid from UConn, who set the combine on fire might be another possibility. Evans might sneak to Miami's #54 selection.

maybe its a good offseason so far, but instead of Nate Allen and Ted Larsen....I wish we would have opted for a better starter in Jabaal Sheard. That would leave OG and Safety to the draft. We already have two backup Safeties, and tons of backup Offensive Guards. Yes I still think Larsen can start, but he's no top-tier guard.

I think we should still try to address OG in free agency. What about taking a flyer on Jonathan Cooper and then drafting someone in the 3rd round? Have Cooper, Urbik, and the rookie compete for the LG spot. Larsen looks like he came here to start at RG, whether we like it or not.

As for LB and S, I think those should be our top 2 picks. I agree that Reddick and Davis are nice prospects, but I'm looking for a SLB in the 1st round to replace Misi. Tim Williams is someone who I think can start from day 1 and provide good run support and pass-rushing abilities. We could then start Kiko/Timmons/Williams, which is a huge upgrade against the run versus last year. We could then grab either Baker or Evans in the 2nd round to compete for the starting FS spot.

I think they're the most immediate needs, but pass rusher is still the biggest - as in a dearth at a position that needs to be near stellar to have a chance against top QB's. I'd like to add two pass rushers in the first two rounds. Ideally, you add one DE and one OLB who slides down on passing situations. Willis, Watt, Bowser, Reddick, Cunningham, and Marcus Williams are some of my favorite options. If you give me any two of them, I'll be happy.

I think they're the most immediate needs, but pass rusher is still the biggest - as in a dearth at a position that needs to be near stellar to have a chance against top QB's. I'd like to add two pass rushers in the first two rounds. Ideally, you add one DE and one OLB who slides down on passing situations. Willis, Watt, Bowser, Reddick, Cunningham, and Marcus Williams are some of my favorite options. If you give me any two of them, I'll be happy.

Cunningham in the first and then maybe Willis in the second if possible would be pretty killer. Safety up next- feel that talent pool will be picked clean quickly, then go after guards/ Probably wishful thinking

Cunningham in the first and then maybe Willis in the second if possible would be pretty killer. Safety up next- feel that talent pool will be picked clean quickly, then go after guards/ Probably wishful thinking

You may be able to draft Josh Jones or John Johnson in the 3rd. OG would be pretty bleak in the 5th, but you may catch a solid player who falls due to poor testing.

Agree with your position needs 110%. Don't follow the draft class so can make no comment on your specific picks.

One thing for certain, there is A LOT to like at 22 this year, including at pass rusher.

Its the 2nd most expensive position in the NFL behind QB.

If you have a chance to get a good one, you don't think twice about it.

One thing for certain, there is A LOT to like at 22 this year, including at pass rusher.

Its the 2nd most expensive position in the NFL behind QB.

If you have a chance to get a good one, you don't think twice about it.

I didn't know that. I thought it was left tackle.

Our biggest need is slot corner. After that safety and LB.

....what

---------- Post added at 11:59 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:57 AM ----------

You may be able to draft Josh Jones or John Johnson in the 3rd. OG would be pretty bleak in the 5th, but you may catch a solid player who falls due to poor testing.

Hmmm... maybe the comp 3 would be better served on a guard? Tedric Thompson on day 3? You guys have all agreed pretty much he's got solid coverage skills, just atrocious as a tackler

Our biggest need is slot corner. After that safety and LB.

You make a good point. Bobby McCain hasn't developed the way that we hoped. I'm not sure who is left that can play in the slot. But overall with our first three picks we should do draft a LB,S and G. Any which way doesn't matter but hopefully they can fill those holes.

maybe its a good offseason so far, but instead of Nate Allen and Ted Larsen....I wish we would have opted for a better starter in Jabaal Sheard. That would leave OG and Safety to the draft. We already have two backup Safeties, and tons of backup Offensive Guards. Yes I still think Larsen can start, but he's no top-tier guard.

When you're dealing with free agency, there are players you can sign, and there are players who aren't interested in your organization.

Back
Top Bottom