Linebacker, Offensive Line, Safety Now Biggest Needs | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Linebacker, Offensive Line, Safety Now Biggest Needs

To people suggesting to bypass linebacker early.... How are we solving the huge hole at LB with the FA market already dry? We have two starters and not even enough depth.

Name me a 240 lb lb that plays strong in base and kicks outside to rush on the edge in the sub in a 43?

Theres no doubt the front 7 needs more talent...anyone denying that is lost...but look at this team right now...i keep hearing bpa top 2 round pick stuff regardless of position and then i look at this team and guard is a mess especially athletically for the scheme and the move requirements safety is reshad jones and a guy that plays as inconsistent as any starting safety for his career and the depth is horrid dt is suh and a to date very inconsistent jordan phillips...nickel corner is bobby mccain who struggles to stay attached and a non carry coverage option in michael thomas who the best part of his game is special teams

Obviously if something happened to csm wake the win pass rush options would be non existent but they did just extend him and with keeping branch and trading for hayes they have options to keep wake fresh on early downs with rest for the sub and nickel

They need another piece there but its gonna struggle to find snaps in anything other than the sub and even then branch could easily take snaps there too

The names im hearing like a reddick and a bowser project off the los and potential sub edge rushers but reddick especially lacks weight for the edge and bowser tests very well and has a solid frame but lacks reddicks edge pass rush polish and looked like jag as an edge upfield rusher at the senior bowl vs below average tackles even...hes kinda a tweener game

Tj watt you say? Projects ideal fit 34 olb and hes gonna be a fast riser he has lateral abilities ideal for on the los play as a 34 olb and hes got a ton of upside...but the off the los lb play is complete projection...you got a 3 down plug and play there out the gate as a 34 olb who test weakside capable but has the frame and genes to develop into a dominant strong side 34 olb

Oh and if you want him im not even sure hes getting to 22...in fact id project that top 20 before its all said and done

Zach cunningham we all like the stack and shed the upside the size the length etc but miami isnt gonna be able to give him snaps in this d with timmons and kiko in front of him unless timmons comes off the field in the nickel making zach a nickel only starter...kinda rich when you are as suspect as miami is depth and starter even wise at guard, safety, nickel corner, and dt

My guess is they will bank on jordan phillips development more than this board wants them to and the draft doesnt look to have much plug and play rotational help even dt depth so thats one position i would not expect high draft pick usage but its a need and a massive one...nick williams is your 3rd dt right now...you kidding me

Ive even heard talk about high pick tight ends as bpas...not a chance...they may be bpa but miami is not turning in that card fresh off extending gray trading for julius thomas and signing fasano to $3 mil fully guaranteed

Last edited by a moderator:
Cunningham scares me, I think the Big guards and Tackles will eat him up.

Couple that with his propensity for arm tackling and the issues mount. We should pass on him and take Davis or I would say Reddick, but I don't know enough about him.

To people suggesting to bypass linebacker early.... How are we solving the huge hole at LB with the FA market already dry? We have two starters and not even enough depth.

Thats why they will invest in the draft at the position in developmental depth...comp 3 or later

Unless timmons is playing 2 downs which im seriously doubting...teams are in nickel about 2/3rds of the time anyways so we can find the snaps for a lb there but only if timmons is coming off the field

The other thing to consider here they are planning on extending kiko after signing timmons it seems pretty obvious long term they want him at weak regardless of where i think his instincts and feel best fit is that likely means miami looks more for developmental upside mike every down more than it does weak

If its me anthony walker comp 3 or kendell beckwith round 5...i will keep saying that beckwith name...developmental mike with 3 down abilities game extremely similar to lawrence timmons

5th round i take the chance

Last edited by a moderator:
For the record im gonna say right now with the moves we have made its a de top pick at 22

I think it will be the player that tested top 20 worthy or higher tapes top 50 worthy throw in the ideal scheme fit and by ideal scheme fit i mean to a t with what miami does and miami needing another piece at the position for the sub and future as an every down option and my bet is

Jordan willis kansas state de

He will get a bump for the way he tested he will get a bump for the ideal scheme fit and miami can rush him in the sub and develop the every down game as part of the active game day de rotation

They want des as edge rushers not lbs who are undersized for the edge

IMHO, our top needs now are (sadly) 2 guards and 1 safety. Sure, we desperately need LB's and DL, but we invested in those in free agency.

We LOST our best starting guard in free agency (when Tunsil slid over for the $10M a year Albert who was NOT replaced by a starting guard), and the other (Jermon Bushrod) was an old position convert who was forced into playing because our guard "plan" included names like Billy Turner and Dallas Thomas ... but our cover guard, Jermon Bushrod, admirably filled in and was one of the worst guards in football. Healthy, he might have been OK, but as he was/is ... he's terrible and must be replaced. But now we need TWO guards and the quality portion of free agency is over. I do not see Ted Larsen as a starter. So ... say hello to spending more high picks on OL.

Personally, this draft is so rich in talent, that I'd try hard to trade down from 22. I'd also try very hard to get picks in the top 3 rounds, however we do it. But, given the wealth of high-value positions like pass rusher and CB, I do not like drafting OL so high. If I could trade down I would. But if I couldn't, I'd pick TJ Watt at 22. He gives you everything, pass rush, power, speed, agility, burst, size, tackling, and instantaneous information processing. He can play SAM on early downs and rush the passer on passing downs. He can also cover big TE's like Gronkowski.

Those sorts of pass rushers don't grow on trees. There is a reason that every good pass rusher was franchised this year. Because even with the embarrassment of riches in the draft, the pass rushers remain the 2nd most rare and valuable commodity in the NFL after QB's. So, make sure we get one while we can. Every draft has good guards at the end of round 1. If we're going to spend a 1st on a guard, let's not do it this year.

And, this draft is just ridiculously packed with great CB's. While I firmly maintain that we can find CB's in every round of the draft, and I always advise taking one developmental CB in the late rounds, this year's CB class is just too good to pass up. I can definitely see us getting a top-notch starting nickel CB in the 3rd. Likewise, the S position is stacked too. We may be able to get an elite S like Budda Baker in round 2. And, we've all discussed his teammate, Sidney Jones (who, sadly, tore his ACL at the Washington Pro Day), who may be available in the 3rd round and after sitting out his rookie season should be a top 15 overall caliber talent.

Let's not pass over these very rare and expensive gems just to get solid guards. Normally, I'm banging the drum for the guards, because we need to open holes for Ajayi and protect Tannehill. But honestly, pass rushers and lock down CB's are just too expensive to get in free agency ... if they're even available. So, we need to use our top two picks on them. It's a bad year to be needing a guard ... and a horrible year to be needing two. Not because we can't find talent there, but rather because it will be at the expense of finding the next Cam Wake or a young Brent Grimes (minus Miko).

I'm still pounding my head against a wall muttering ... zeitler ... leary ...lang ... Timmons?!!??! Did he just say Timmons?!?!?!?!!!! Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!! .... (andfortherecordthereweredinosaurswilliamhayes).

Name me a 240 lb lb that plays strong in base and kicks outside to rush on the edge in the sub in a 43?

Theres no doubt the front 7 needs more talent...anyone denying that is lost...but look at this team right now...i keep hearing bpa top 2 round pick stuff regardless of position and then i look at this team and guard is a mess especially athletically for the scheme and the move requirements safety is reshad jones and a guy that plays as inconsistent as any starting safety for his career and the depth is horrid dt is suh and a to date very inconsistent jordan phillips...nickel corner is bobby mccain who struggles to stay attached and a non carry coverage option in michael thomas who the best part of his game is special teams

Obviously if something happened to csm wake the win pass rush options would be non existent but they did just extend him and with keeping branch and trading for hayes they have options to keep wake fresh on early downs with rest for the sub and nickel

They need another piece there but its gonna struggle to find snaps in anything other than the sub and even then branch could easily take snaps there too

The names im hearing like a reddick and a bowser project off the los and potential sub edge rushers but reddick especially lacks weight for the edge and bowser tests very well and has a solid frame but lacks reddicks edge pass rush polish and looked like jag as an edge upfield rusher at the senior bowl vs below average tackles even...hes kinda a tweener game

Tj watt you say? Projects ideal fit 34 olb and hes gonna be a fast riser he has lateral abilities ideal for on the los play as a 34 olb and hes got a ton of upside...but the off the los lb play is complete projection...you got a 3 down plug and play there out the gate as a 34 olb who test weakside capable but has the frame and genes to develop into a dominant strong side 34 olb

Oh and if you want him im not even sure hes getting to 22...in fact id project that top 20 before its all said and done

Zach cunningham we all like the stack and shed the upside the size the length etc but miami isnt gonna be able to give him snaps in this d with timmons and kiko in front of him unless timmons comes off the field in the nickel making zach a nickel only starter...kinda rich when you are as suspect as miami is depth and starter even wise at guard, safety, nickel corner, and dt

My guess is they will bank on jordan phillips development more than this board wants them to and the draft doesnt look to have much plug and play rotational help even dt depth so thats one position i would not expect high draft pick usage but its a need and a massive one...nick williams is your 3rd dt right now...you kidding me

Ive even heard talk about high pick tight ends as bpas...not a chance...they may be bpa but miami is not turning in that card fresh off extending gray trading for julius thomas and signing fasano to $3 mil fully guaranteed

This. All this. ^ This is the direction and mindset of the Dolphins going into the draft.

For the record im gonna say right now with the moves we have made its a de top pick at 22

I think it will be the player that tested top 20 worthy or higher tapes top 50 worthy throw in the ideal scheme fit and by ideal scheme fit i mean to a t with what miami does and miami needing another piece at the position for the sub and future as an every down option and my bet is

Jordan willis kansas state de

He will get a bump for the way he tested he will get a bump for the ideal scheme fit and miami can rush him in the sub and develop the every down game as part of the active game day de rotation

They want des as edge rushers not lbs who are undersized for the edge

At this point I really want it to be DE, and hoping Willis is there. If he is there and we pass on him I think I'm going to be more disappointed then the wiffs at LB the last few years and that's hard to beat. I even had Willis up there before the excellent. Combine he turned in.

I though you were going to say Harris tbh...

kinda seens like a fair amount of people on the board are coming around to the fact that you have to get the edge rushers early it just makes too much sense with the cap and FA premiums to acquire. They are going to fly off the board.

IMHO, our top needs now are (sadly) 2 guards and 1 safety. Sure, we desperately need LB's and DL, but we invested in those in free agency.

We LOST our best starting guard in free agency (when Tunsil slid over for the $10M a year Albert who was NOT replaced by a starting guard), and the other (Jermon Bushrod) was an old position convert who was forced into playing because our guard "plan" included names like Billy Turner and Dallas Thomas ... but our cover guard, Jermon Bushrod, admirably filled in and was one of the worst guards in football. Healthy, he might have been OK, but as he was/is ... he's terrible and must be replaced. But now we need TWO guards and the quality portion of free agency is over. I do not see Ted Larsen as a starter. So ... say hello to spending more high picks on OL.

Personally, this draft is so rich in talent, that I'd try hard to trade down from 22. I'd also try very hard to get picks in the top 3 rounds, however we do it. But, given the wealth of high-value positions like pass rusher and CB, I do not like drafting OL so high. If I could trade down I would. But if I couldn't, I'd pick TJ Watt at 22. He gives you everything, pass rush, power, speed, agility, burst, size, tackling, and instantaneous information processing. He can play SAM on early downs and rush the passer on passing downs. He can also cover big TE's like Gronkowski.

Those sorts of pass rushers don't grow on trees. There is a reason that every good pass rusher was franchised this year. Because even with the embarrassment of riches in the draft, the pass rushers remain the 2nd most rare and valuable commodity in the NFL after QB's. So, make sure we get one while we can. Every draft has good guards at the end of round 1. If we're going to spend a 1st on a guard, let's not do it this year.

And, this draft is just ridiculously packed with great CB's. While I firmly maintain that we can find CB's in every round of the draft, and I always advise taking one developmental CB in the late rounds, this year's CB class is just too good to pass up. I can definitely see us getting a top-notch starting nickel CB in the 3rd. Likewise, the S position is stacked too. We may be able to get an elite S like Budda Baker in round 2. And, we've all discussed his teammate, Sidney Jones (who, sadly, tore his ACL at the Washington Pro Day), who may be available in the 3rd round and after sitting out his rookie season should be a top 15 overall caliber talent.

Let's not pass over these very rare and expensive gems just to get solid guards. Normally, I'm banging the drum for the guards, because we need to open holes for Ajayi and protect Tannehill. But honestly, pass rushers and lock down CB's are just too expensive to get in free agency ... if they're even available. So, we need to use our top two picks on them. It's a bad year to be needing a guard ... and a horrible year to be needing two. Not because we can't find talent there, but rather because it will be at the expense of finding the next Cam Wake or a young Brent Grimes (minus Miko).

I'm still pounding my head against a wall muttering ... zeitler ... leary ...lang ... Timmons?!!??! Did he just say Timmons?!?!?!?!!!! Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!! .... (andfortherecordthereweredinosaurswilliamhayes).

Yet anoter quality post from you Digital :brewskis:

You know what if there is one thing Mike T gets- I think it might be these points highlighted here -honestly.

Cunningham scares me, I think the Big guards and Tackles will eat him up.
He is very athletic and he's had a stellar college career. Yes, he looks thin and light and you may be right, but he seems to be blessed with a lot of natural talent. Lots of NFL evaluators may come to the same conclusion as you that results in him dropping, but some team is going to get a very good player with upside.

Back
Top Bottom