Listening to Nick Saban | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Listening to Nick Saban

Losman7 said:
Are you guys actually writing this stuff. You have "a greatest coach of all time" ? He's had TWO PRACTICES!!

I know, we are reaching a level of being homers that is almost impossible to bare us. He is a good coach, but not yet a great coach of all time. Just like Crowder is a good linebacker, not one that will replace thomas cuz thomas can't play. Kay Jay is the new Czonca, i mean we are gettint a little carried away.

Anyways, he still is a damn good coach.

Losman7 said:
Are you guys actually writing this stuff. You have "a greatest coach of all time" ? He's had TWO PRACTICES!!

Dont like it? Dont read it.

I'm very excited, first to get rid of Wanny and 2 pick up Saban. Its just what our player and organization needed. A creative,knowledgable, disciplined take no non sense approach coach who hopefully will take this team to the next level.
But I would like to say while still admiring the guy, He has shown to be very tight lipped and from listening to the limited amount of things hes said publically find that he really doesn't tell us much. Now this isn't shocking since we've had blabber mouth say whatever stupid thing pops into your head Wannstedt, and a tight lip can be advantageous but I do miss knowing more about the players as far as which ones are catching the eyes of the coaches and why, areas they think are solid and the ones that aren't. Maybe down the road since it is early we will be getting more detailed info. But I don't think it will ever be getting the amount of info the way it was with Shula,JJ, or that last horrable excuse we had that called himself a headcoach. I hope down the road Nick understands the importance the fans play and relaxes alttle with all the secretness.I think he needs to relize the responsibility he has with the fans. The important thing for now is winning and at this point he is in total control and beyond reproach. But I really think this draft exposed alot of the qualities that this guy is going to bring to the table.

tigerskin said:
I know that college is different from the NFL but when he was at LSU it was always great knowing that the guy on our sidelines was smarter than the guy across the field. I don't know how many games he will win with the Dolphins but I have no doubt that he will turn the Dolphins around. He knows it all about the game and talent evaluation is his forte. He has only one vulnerability. That is riding the fine line between jumping people's a$$ to help them improve and going overboard with it. The players at LSU respected him and dealt with it because they knew he was a winner and could get them to the NFL. He is a perfectionist and probably went overboard with chewing butt last year in the quest to be repeat National Champions. He didn't handle being at the top of the mountain as well as he did getting there. During the year last year there were rumors that up to 20% of the team was considering transferring because they had enough of his tactics. It is easy to deal with someone when you are winning the National Championship but the game became less fun for a lot of the players last year. I truly believe that Saban may have backed off a little last year given what he knows now. That was the first time he was in a "repeat for the title" mode and he just felt that he needed to ride them to keep their focus. With that said, if he would have stayed and 20% of the team actually did transfer, he still would have put a good team on the field and our coach would still be smarter than the other team's coach.

true, lsu didnt have a great year last year, but in my opinion the only reason why you label him as someone who's better at getting to the top, then staying there is because he had 2 of the worst qbs i've ever seen last season.

Losman7 said:
Be honest with me Losman you seem to be a pretty good guy for a bills homer you (bills homers) arent enjoying the fact that Sabans looking pretty damn good so far.. are you ???

Losman7 said:

Actually the thinking is more along the lines of second greatest coach ever.

We already have the Greatest Coach in the history of the game in the HOF.

signed

The Don

Ozzy said:
Actually the thinking is more along the lines of second greatest coach ever.

We already have the Greatest Coach in the history of the game in the HOF.

signed

The Don

:lol: Amen.

I love the honey moon periods, their so forgiving and filled with optimisim, I like Saban's style, now I just hope it leads to wins. We have great coaches, but it didn't always lead to wins..but I'm hoping this works out for our team in the worst way. BTW Nick, keep Speilman..

Ross said:
When I hear Saban take a question he never seems to answers it. But he'll talk forever while not answering it...

Bingo! that is Saban. But you won't mind because the man the will make the Dolphins winners!

MDFINFAN said:
I love the honey moon periods, their so forgiving and filled with optimisim, I like Saban's style, now I just hope it leads to wins. We have great coaches, but it didn't always lead to wins..but I'm hoping this works out for our team in the worst way. BTW Nick, keep Speilman..

I think that by just having better assistants will make the team better.

Speaking of better. Saban BETTER get some wins or the media around here is going to eat him up. They were so used to being able to say whatever they like, and all of them had their little inside scoops from the facilty. I know some of them are drooling over the possiblilties of Saban failing. Lebastich is top of that list, and Fat Hank too. He is the first one I herd calling Saban Coach Satan, and Hitler...

I was thinking the same thing KB. Plus, hes a psychology major and knows what grabs peoples attention. It certainly helps him articulate his message.

I love listening to him speak - his press conferences have an air of sophistication about them that were nonexistent with the previous regime. I love it.

Surferosa said:
I was thinking the same thing KB. Plus, hes a psychology major and knows what grabs peoples attention. It certainly helps him articulate his message.

I love listening to him speak - his press conferences have an air of sophistication about them that were nonexistent with the previous regime. I love it.

When I was thinking about going into coaching, I had actually declared psychology as a major. About two weeks before starting classes at Mississippi State, I changed back to biochemistry. Sometimes, when I'm sitting in a medical school class, I wonder what might have been had I chosen the other route to go into coaching. Not that I am unhappy with my choice. In three years, I'll be very happy with my choice. School friggin sucks though!!

SWS84 said:
I don't know for sure, but I think I have read that Shula was a very intense coach when he was younger. Is that true? Was Shula as intense as Saban or JJ?

Steve
Shula was the toughest of them all, he was one bad a$$ that did not take $hit from anyone. He did mellow with age though!!!

Ozzy said:
I think that by just having better assistants will make the team better.

Speaking of better. Saban BETTER get some wins or the media around here is going to eat him up. They were so used to being able to say whatever they like, and all of them had their little inside scoops from the facilty. I know some of them are drooling over the possiblilties of Saban failing. Lebastich is top of that list, and Fat Hank too. He is the first one I herd calling Saban Coach Satan, and Hitler...

Yup. The common theme around there is "He'd better win". Because there is a very large amount of backlash just waiting to be uncorked, both in the media and inside.

The odds are that we won't be winning this year. We're rebuilding. And you can't get it all done in a year. Bill Belichick went 5-11 his first year in New England. But who knows, we might make the wild card round.

Regardless, if the Phins lose three straight (with two not close) at some point, I expect the media start hammering him. But I honestly don't think he'd care TOO much because he doesn't respect most of them IMO. I think he feels he's above the media. So it won't be too much of a problem for him. And the fans will be behind him regardless.

I think Saban has a plan and he's sticking to it through hell our high water in 2005. Wayne's given him time to build a solid foundation and turn this thing around......his way. So he'll be damned if a few talk radio hosts or print reporters have something bad to say about him.

Back
Top Bottom