Looking into Miller & Vernon's stats through 3....did we make the right decision? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Looking into Miller & Vernon's stats through 3....did we make the right decision?

Yup.

http://www.foxsports.com/nfl/story/houston-texans-why-is-rb-lamar-miller-escaping-criticism-092616

Miller was supposed to fix the issues in the running game, and so far he hasn’t. Sure, he is fourth in the NFL in rushing, but that’s a product of getting so many touches. Miller has run for a career low in average yards per rush at just 3.6 yards per carry. This is nearly a full yard off his career average of 4.5 yards.

The former Miami Dolphin also has zero touchdowns on the season to date. Neither the yards per rush, or the lack of touchdowns is what Houston was expecting when paying him a deal that netted $6.5 million this season.

I was fine with Vernon leaving once I saw the Giants deal.

He wasn't worth that much coin.

Only one I wish we kept was Lamar, but I forget if our lack of playing him sealed the deal for his departure?

I was fine with Vernon leaving once I saw the Giants deal.

He wasn't worth that much coin.

Only one I wish we kept was Lamar, but I forget if our lack of playing him sealed the deal for his departure?

Exactly in complete agreement here. Given how close the offers for Lamar was if the difference was he wanted a guaranteed number of carries. Then I get why the coaching staff let him leave and I'm fine with it.

Texans are using him wrong. They're asking him to run power instead of zone from what I've seen.

Vernon is a good player, just not worth nearly the insane money he got.

Texans are using him wrong. They're asking him to run power instead of zone from what I've seen.

Vernon is a good player, just not worth nearly the insane money he got.

Perfect example of taking a player from another team as a FA and then changing what he does and expecting similar results. Something I thought Drew R pointed out once on the Joe Rose show - its not always as simple as taking player A from another team and replicating the results on team B.

Lamar Miller has 74 Attempts 269 Yards 3.6 AVG

Vernon 7 total tackles 1 Sack

Not sure about Vernon. The Giants paying him a boatload of money. Besides just mere stats you have to calculate what you get back in return. Plus the impact on the oposing offense. Do they doyble team him or not? I haven't really watched a Giants game yet.

In regards to Lamar: any time a RB is on pace for some 1300 yards it is a loss if you consider the difference was 500,000 per year. He has more rushing yards than we have as a team combined. We have to see as the season progresses but looking at our running game right now it is definitely a loss.

Everyone bashes the FO and rightly so on some accounts (LB'S), but fixing the OL (decent job), finding a good HC, and not overpaying for overated miller and vernon was all I could ask for in one offseason. I can't be that disappointed... Miller never broke any tackles and vision was just decent not amazing.

Perfect example of taking a player from another team as a FA and then changing what he does and expecting similar results. Something I thought Drew R pointed out once on the Joe Rose show - its not always as simple as taking player A from another team and replicating the results on team B.

As soon as Miller breaks a couple of runs his average will shoot up. Remember last season when Miller had the big game in Houston, with the 85 yard run and 175 yards on 14 carries. That game really change Millers 2015 number, in the other games combined Miller had 697 yards on 170 carries and a 3.87 yards per carry average.

Not sure about Vernon. The Giants paying him a boatload of money. Besides just mere stats you have to calculate what you get back in return. Plus the impact on the oposing offense. Do they doyble team him or not? I haven't really watched a Giants game yet.

In regards to Lamar: any time a RB is on pace for some 1300 yards it is a loss if you consider the difference was 500,000 per year. He has more rushing yards than we have as a team combined. We have to see as the season progresses but looking at our running game right now it is definitely a loss.

Did you see my quote about how that's a product of how many touches he's getting and how he's averaging 3.6 per carry, which is almost a full yard short of his career avg of 4.5?

I didn't really cry about either of these ones. Especially Vernon. Thought both guys got too much, but Miller would be a welcomed addition here. Retaining your own is one thing, but not when they don't really move the needle. We do have to get better at keeping our own in the building tho, whether that's getting to them a year early.

Was actually happy to see Vernon go as he was the quintessential "two steps forward, one step back player" on this team. Whether it was injuries, penalties or boneheaded miscues, he always seemed to void his good play with something that made me annoyed.

Lamar I was more open to paying, but Philbin burned any chance of him coming back if the money was close to equal elsewhere. At this point I can't say we are a better team without him, but it's not like he is torching teams out there.

The guy I was happy to see us retain was Wake. Yes he is injured, old and a situational runner, but I rarely see him make the mistakes I saw Vernon and Miller make. He sets a good example for this team and deserves the chance to retire a Dolphin.

Nớt sure on Miller because I'm not familiar with the texans offense. He fits better in a zone scheme.

But I agree Vernon wasn't worth the cash we payed him. He was wildly inconsistent in terms of production. It looks bad because we decided Mario would replace him. And well we see what we're paying for

I was very unimpressed with Miller against the Patriots.

Were we watching the same game? He was the only player doing anything. He was making 4 defenders miss for 3 yard gains. Not his fault the blocking sucked

Back
Top Bottom