Lyn Bowden Jr. Slot WR answered | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Lyn Bowden Jr. Slot WR answered

How would you grade Lyn Bowden rookie season?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
As it relates to who will be our top 6 receivers, I would need to understand who can be stashed in the practice squad?

1. Parker. He is 28 years old, oft injured and may be looking for a new contract. Is he worth a top 10 salary?
  2. Preston. He has been injured each year. Can we count on him? I think he is replaced by our first round pick.
  3. Wilson. Should be healthy and ready to play. Best slot receiver on the roster.
  4. Fuller. Can he stay healthy?
  5. a. Our 2nd receiver picked in the draft. Should secure a spot this year.
  6. b . Grant. Is specials enough?
  7. c. Bowden. Can he be stashed in the Practice squad?
  8. d. Ford, Merritt, Hollins all fringe players on specials. Who can be stashed on the practice squad
Finally, we will have inquires and that will create opportunity. Hopefully our new rookies will have the chance to show case their skills when the opportunity arrives.
Keep stash Preston IR let Fuller replace his reps
Wilson and Bowden can man the slot and I believe Bowden may return kicks
Draft Waddle to replace Grant as PR plus deep threat.
Perry can go on PS you forgot him
Hurns we get nothing cutting him so that's interesting
Forde who I like appears gone already same for Merritt
So I expect Grant is on the outs plus we may save some cap money.
Hollins or Perry is that 6th guy imo. Hollins is the big body I think Flores wants at WR but Perry is younger and having Bowden hurts his chances.

So I see it this way
Parker
Fuller
Wilson
Draft pick
Bowden
Perry or Hollins

Williams comes back mid season if when Fuller and Parker get hurt and hopefully by that time our rookie reciever is contributing.
Also remember Wilson got hurt his first year here so we need Bowden to get some of his reps and as insurance.

I personally feel like I saw a drastic improvement in Bowden throughout the 2nd half of the season. I see him as a #4 or 5 guy behind DP, Fuller, The Rook, and PW. He brings something those cats don’t, which is RAC. A new offensive system and a complete off season will tell the whole story though.

Rookie playing pretty much a new position- there is of course a learning curve.

I am hoping for improvement, but the potential of that is not enough to not acquire a few WRs in the draft. I trust neither he or Perry in the slot as it currently stands.

Perry has some pretty nice skills for a receiver.
Better used out of the backfield, IMO. When I watched him at Navy I thought he was an ideal pass catching halfback for the NFL. Move him around just before the snap allowing his quickness, smarts and elusiveness to win those matchups.

If you line Perry up flatfooted at wide receiver he's simply not big or fast enough to trouble good defensive backs on a regular basis.

I thought we were just beginning to use Perry correctly when he got the chest injury. That more or less shelved him for the remainder. Bowden took over and looked like a guy who would always be okay but not a heck of a lot more than that. Dating to Kentucky it's always the same thing. He looks nifty and instinctive at first pivotal point then becomes very ordinary after that. It's like a writer who is creative in the first paragraph then settles for standard fare over the balance.

Incomplete. He was a raw "athlete " coming out of college.
Gets drafted by raiders, covid tc restrictions, and then gets traded here.

Never expected much out of him for route running really. He's just a guy who early on just needed to get the ball into his hands asap for him to make an impact.
Hes going to need more work as a receiver but I think that's was expected by this fo
The question is, do we have enough "luxury" roster spots for him to develop?

You seem to know the WR position pretty well. With his lack of experience at the position is this something that we could possibly see large strides of improvement in, or is the route running and zone awareness aspects of the position that are difficult to pick up and take years to get down? From what you have seen from his play is he worth the time in development for those major concerns?
Will Fuller, Devante Parker, (early round wr draft pick), Preston Williams, Albert Wilson, hurns

As you see from above, that’s six receivers before him at least that are so far clearly better. i would be shocked if he made the roster since we are adding talent at the position. Maybe the practice squad?

Last edited:
The question is, do we have enough "luxury" roster spots for him to develop?

IMO locks are Parker and Fuller. And a high pick rookie IMO
Williams looks pretty safe too.
Then we have Wilson and Hurns who should be fighting for their spots.
After that we got Perry, Bowden, Hollins, UDFA etc

Definitely going to be a battle. If he wins, I would say he has shown quite a bit of development to stick around

We'll have to see how things shake out in training camp and pre-season. I think many on this site have forgotten how slick and nifty Albert Wilson can be with the football in his hands. Remember he was a pretty big weapon in the Kansas City Chief's arsenal before Miami was able to get him. He did some very nice work for Miami both pre and post injury. He was finally back all the way to his old self. So, he sat out because of the virus but this can only be good for his health. I'm looking forward to seeing Tua to Wilson for first downs and TDs. Tua was throwing to Grant and Wilson yesterday, they had their own private practice to help with timing. How great is it that these guys are already hooking up on their own. That shows leadership and desire, good stuff!

Could I potentially use one of these responses in my article?

I will say this. Where as a lot of the fans and posters are more knowledgeable than the local **** media, you will lose creditability fast by using excerpts from a Miami dolphins fan forum. We often mock a lot of the posts around here that the basis begins with a link from a fan blog. Its awesome you are getting into the writing game, especially with our beloved fins. If you have the time though, use some of the descriptions and examples the guys are giving you to describe Bowden and then watch whatever tape you can find. It will give your article a lot more credibility. As for my thoughts, he was a low risk move with the trade. IIRC i think he alligator armed a few passes (but i also was drinking for most games and the season has been over for 3 months).

Hes pretty much a gimmick player, not a true slot, IMHO, who should be replaced with a true weapon. Tua should not be coming off the field for wildcat and gimmick plays. with our recent FA acquisition of Locksley, and having Perry and Bowden already, we have 3 gimmick type players that all do the same thing.

But he is still only one year in, make the move and keep him there, dont get cute

Personally I don’t quite understand the lack of reps for Perry, on one play last year I saw enough flash and talent to warrant legit reps, but didn’t.

I would not give up on Bowden, he’s a dog.

Not a disciplined route runner, inexperienced with the route tree, and not blazing fast. IMO unlikely to make team if we draft a receiver. Maybe a PS candidate, but remember he was made available by the Raiders, so he's already struck out once. Wasn't he a 3rd round selection? We traded a 7th. IMO that's telling.
The good? He makes people miss, blocks, and breaks tackles something our other receivers don't do. D+

Better used out of the backfield, IMO. When I watched him at Navy I thought he was an ideal pass catching halfback for the NFL. Move him around just before the snap allowing his quickness, smarts and elusiveness to win those matchups.

If you line Perry up flatfooted at wide receiver he's simply not big or fast enough to trouble good defensive backs on a regular basis.

I thought we were just beginning to use Perry correctly when he got the chest injury. That more or less shelved him for the remainder. Bowden took over and looked like a guy who would always be okay but not a heck of a lot more than that. Dating to Kentucky it's always the same thing. He looks nifty and instinctive at first pivotal point then becomes very ordinary after that. It's like a writer who is creative in the first paragraph then settles for standard fare over the balance.
Spot on. Perry is a fun exciting option out of the backfield but I don’t think he has the natural ability to press depth on DBs, set them up, etc. could be wrong but he needs to be used in non traditional ways out of the backfield to have a nice impact.

Bowden is great at making the first man miss but not much afterwards. What’s even more disappointing is his catch radius is pretty small.

I thought he was better than expected coming from being a QB then RB. Showed enough promise to be anxious to see if his route running improves the longer he keeps working and getting experience.

He’s a novice at the receiver position but he’s learning. Hopefully he’s getting better at route running.

What I like about him is he’s super competitive and a great leader. Watch him on the sideline. Now if he’s one of the guys talking anonymously about Tua to the media, then I cancel all that. That’s unacceptable.

Back
Top Bottom