Manatee Wright | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Manatee Wright

Mr Yu said:
For a guy that big , losing 30 pounds is like throwing a deck chair off the Titanic.

Hilarious. :lol:

Seriously though, he does deserve some credit for working hard recently and dropping a ton of weight. He does look much better than last year.

Maybe next offseason he'll make it easier on himself and maintain his fitness so he doesn't have to go intensely hard after mini-camp, winning all that praise for diggin' out of the hole he ate himself into.

B.

Bpk said:
That's hilarious. And you are right. I thoroughly recant all my criticism of Manny because I must admit that I now have a hankerin' on for some BBQ, pulled pork, maybe a slice of pecan pie. just a lil bit of mashed potatoes. And some more pie, maybe. Then a hamburger (with Uncle Joe's tillamook cheddar cheese on it and some bacon). Mmm. Hey. Is that meat loaf? Mmm MMMMM! Funny. This food is so good, I'm not even hungry anymore but I think I'll have some of those fried onions and bratwurst while I'm here (why not?). Delicious. Time for a nap.

B.

:lol: You're a good sport. Now bring on those BRATS!:D

JB-Dolfan-VA said:
true... But currently I weigh 200, and if I weighed 180 then I would be golden. Thats 10% of your body weight, so if someone is 300... 30 pounds is still 10% of your weight. Thats significant.
It also depends on what percentage of your body weight is comprised of fat. If your a trim 200 and get to 180, you've done some serious weight loss. These linemen are anything but a trim 330.

All this manny bashing...maybe manny was being honest when he said he came in the best shape he could. Perhaps the shape he was hoping to look like was that of a pear or the marshmellow man.

Trekbiz said:
Come on now.

If he had the drive and desire on his own he would have reported to camp in shape with added muscle not added fat.

We can debate over whether this will continue to be a problem or not and hopefully it won't.

What is clear as day though is that he didn't have the motivation he should have had to make the team when he was not being monitored and motivated by the team.

Regardless, hopefully another camp where he gets his arse handed to him by the elements and other teammates will knock the sense into him so he dosen't let himself slip again.

You can look at players like Sullivan who do not have the motivation even when players and coaches are yelling at him.

Last year for him was a really tough year. It doesn't surprise me that someone who isn't used to so much termoil would escape for a couple of months.

In a span of a couple of months we went from being top dog on campus, to too stupid to graduate, too to lazy to work out hard enough, to too overweight for camp, to big cry baby, to big cry baby who is too out of shape to play in a game, to having madden dog him for practically an entire quarter(I never had a hall of fame coach dog me out), and then being scrutized for not working out hard enough and being lazy. It doesn't surprise me that the guy just wanted an escape.

If he does this next year and then yes you have a point and he is a lazy son of a #$#$#. However so far since his 2 month escape he has worked more hard than a lot of people on the team. He did it because he wants to make the team and he wants to make a difference on the team.

No one can make you do anything.

popularwar said:
This post seems pretty uninformed. The last few times I've heard Wright's name mentioned it's been in a good light, he's supposedly one of the last to leave the weight room at night, lost like 30 lbs. since mini-camp, and is the heir to the NT position.

That is correct!! He showed up to Mini camps overweight but reported to training camp at the weight he is supposed to be at. And yes, he has been working his butt off in the gym. And to be quite honest, I could really give a crap if he gains some weight in the offseason eatin some of mamma's home cookin, good for him. As long as he is able to get back to the weight he is supposed to be at by the time training camp starts, that is really all that matters.

You know what's hilarious. Saban's already penciled in Manny as the backup NT and he's planning to give him a lot of snaps for the real problem and that is we've got a 37 year old NT who currently is far more out of shape then Wright is. Yet there's been little to no talk of that.

Also if it was 'that' much of a concern we'd be hearing some news on the Big Daddy front by now.

Lets cut Manny Wright some slack! Let his play on the field speak for itself, if he plays well who cares about the weight issue. If he plays poorly then those who want can bash him till their hearts content. Obviously Saban likes Manny better than some posters here do and he sees him as a future NT or at least a defensive tackle. Saban seems to be a man who speaks his mind and has his priorities in line, just ask George Bush. By the way why hasn't someone started a thread about Keith Traylor being overweight and out of shape or is it that his play on the field speaks for itself?

Bpk said:
Yeah, I know all about the hard work he's done since June. Gimme a break. So I don't know what I'm talking about because for the last few weeks he has worked hard to catch up after showing up fat?

Seriously, this guy HAS worked hard, and I am glad he has, but he SHOULD have worked hard in the offseason. He gets no credit and slaps on the back for working to get back to where any good teammate would have been in the first place by minicamp.

My main gripe is that he stands in front of a camera and CLAIMS to have worked hard all offseason when that is blatantly untrue. A shred of accountability would be nice. Just, you know, I slipped up a bit and had to work hard to catch up. Not making it sound like he did the right thing all along.

B.

He went and ate at his moma's house and gained a little weight which was in the past. He made the commitment to come in and shed the weight give the guy a break. He's still young and has some maturity issues but it's not the end of the world.

The scrutiny that comes along with being an NFL player is so immense that any little thing you say or do is ostracized to the point of it being ridiculous. Manny maybe felt that pressure and receded it by splurging on food. Atleast he didn't try to escape it through drugs. Food might get you into weight issues but drugs will put you in jail or put you out of games. We know all too well about the drug issue. So as long as Manny has a weakness for food and not a weakness for dope, then he's more capable of becoming a great player.

HVACservice said:
Relax.

He`s a 21 year old kid.......I was a F-up at 21 as well.

The light will turn on soon.

You nailed it.

I think the original poster has more of a problem with him acting childish then actually being overweight and not ready. I understand the concern but you do have to keep in mind that he is only 21-22. When I was that age, between me and my friends, the ones that actually had their **** together and acting like responsible adults were in the minority...by a landslide.

If you don't like...

J-Bark said:
somebody shut the dude who started this up.

please

If you don't like the thread, might I suggest you don't visit/read it.

And that's a lot more polite a response than you deserve for trying to get a poster to 'shut up".

Enjoy the other threads and have a good weekend.

B.

Back
Top Bottom