Manuel Wright to work out for Dolphins (KFFL) | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Manuel Wright to work out for Dolphins (KFFL)

albyfinfan said:
yes but this isnt trading, or throwing it away. were actually getting a player who could go in the 1st or def. in the 2nd rd in next years draft for a 4th rd. pick. i dont know but that sounds like a deal to me.

While I agree that it would not be a wasted pick, I don't know that Wright would go in the 1st or 2nd round next year....He was only a backup at USC and is ineligible this year...It would be somewhat of a gamble for us to take him, but perhaps in the 4th round or later would be fine..we'd get the guy for this year instead of waiting for next year...It's also possible that the Titans might take him before us...

MDFINFAN said:
Question, would his salary count toward this year's rookies pool, or next year's rookie pool, if we were to draft him. We' ve never drafted a suplementary player that I can remember, so I've never thought of this before. How exactly does this work, and how does it impact our cap for this coming year?

We get an extra amount added to our rookie pool this year so we can sign him. and in turn next year we lose that respected alotment....

Dolfan1000 said:
It makes sense- he would go 1st/2nd round next year, and we could get him for the equivalent of a 4th.

Good deal.

I'm not sure a backup college DT would go in the 1st or 2nd. Let's keep in mind also that this guy is not very sharp. He is ineligible for a reason. Think about that - if he was a star and he still couldn't skate by how smart must he be. Better yet - not to say he isn't smart but he much does he apply himself. Saban has shown an interest in hard working smart guys and this guy does not fit that profile at all. Maybe a 6th or 7th but no sooner IMO.

alright i dont know if we want this guy because next yr there are lots of big dts who can clogg holes and im thinkin we have one dt of the future possibly in vickerson who i heard was a very solid defensive tackle so we may want to wait and take one of those loads lik haloti ngata from hawaii or some of these other giants

Dolfan1000 said:
Can someone post his profile or something?

Is he strictly a run-stuffing DT, or a DT/DE tweener?
Manuel Wright
DT #92 USC

PROFILE:

USC junior-to-be defensive tackle MANUEL WRIGHT (#92) started twice as a sophomore versus Arizona and BYU... recorded a total of 23 tackles, six tackles for loss, two sacks, two pass breakups and two fumble recoveries... top games from 2003/2004 include Michigan (2003), BYU (2004), California (2004), Colorado State (2004), Washington State (2004), Oklahoma (2004)... has had a few minor injuries; sprained right elbow, which happened in the second-half of the Arizona State contest... missed games against Notre Dame and UCLA with a sprained left ankle, which happened against Arizona... missed one game during his freshman year due to an infection in his chin... attended Long Beach CC (CA) in 2002 in order to work on his grades, but did not play football... played high school football at Poly High School in Long Beach along with several other top-rated USC prospects... three-technique defensive tackle with first-round ability, but has not always played at that level... needs to make better use of his hands to get off blocks... plays with good balance and lateral quickness for a player of his size... shows good ball recognition... takes off a few downs here and there... said to be a coachable guy with solid motor on the field... talent level falls somewhere between Albert Haynesworth (Tennessee) and Marquise Hill (New England)...

Has been as high as 365 pounds, according to his father, coming into his true freshman year, but lost a fair amount of weight before the start of that season, and played at around 325-335 pounds... has gotten into much better shape during the past three years... has good definition to his arms and upper body... still has a small gut in the middle, but not to the point where he does not look to be in about 90% of the shape he would want to be at this time of year... currently, he is right at or above 6-foot-6 (6060) and 315-320 pounds... will likely look to workout for teams around 300-310 pounds... was timed in the mid-to-late 4.8 range at a lower weight coming out of high school (before adding weight before arriving at USC)... #92 on game film... the NFL Supplemental Draft is set to occur on July 10th, so you can expect Wright's "Pro Day" workout to happen sometime in mid-to-late June.

http://www.nlscouting.com/Spotlights/MWright.htm

I've also read the bio by Dave Te' Thomas, who before Wright declared, had him rated the #1 DT prospect at that point in time for the 2007 draft.
Also, Thomas said that even though Wright is tall he has very good flexibility, and he is consistently able to play low with good leverage. Stuffing the inside run is his best feature.

Dolfan1000 said:
But keep in mind everyone, if we do grab him lets say in the 4th, we will encounter about 10000 threads in March/April saying... "I AM SICK OF GIVING UP DRAFT PICKS! SABAN SAID HE WOULDNT! WE HAVE SO FEW PICKS! BLAH BLAH BLAH!"
Oh no, we "gave up" a 1st round draft pick for Ronnie Brown, Saban said he wouldn't do that!!:rolleyes:

well damn if hes that heavy and athletic then i say we nab him but ih he aint over 300 then i dont think we take him because you dont find too many dts that are under 300 lbs and sucessful

I was going to say that tall DT usually have problems with leverage but it depends on their athletecism..

There will be a lot of great prospects at DT next year but you will probably have to use a 1st round pick on Rodrique Wright or Ngata.

It really depends on what our staff thinks.They do have good info on him.I will roll with their decision and be happy if we get him.

I was one that thought we should have drafted Wilfork a year ago.Strange how we acquire the guy Wilfork beat out.

There is a coach on the staff that knows Wright's work ethic.

Rich22 said:
I'm not sure a backup college DT would go in the 1st or 2nd. Let's keep in mind also that this guy is not very sharp. He is ineligible for a reason. Think about that - if he was a star and he still couldn't skate by how smart must he be. Better yet - not to say he isn't smart but he much does he apply himself. Saban has shown an interest in hard working smart guys and this guy does not fit that profile at all. Maybe a 6th or 7th but no sooner IMO.

There is a coach on the staff that knows his skills, and you can best be sure he has communicated that to Saban. Remember that the assistant ol coach of the Dolphins was USC's offensive line coach.

Lee2000

Dolfan1000 said:
But keep in mind everyone, if we do grab him lets say in the 4th, we will encounter about 10000 threads in March/April saying... "I AM SICK OF GIVING UP DRAFT PICKS! SABAN SAID HE WOULDNT! WE HAVE SO FEW PICKS! BLAH BLAH BLAH!"

And anyone who would say that obviously wouldn't realize we'd be getting a 1st round pick in next year's draft for what equtes to a mid-rounder. It makes perfect sense to get Wright now.

BrazForPhins said:
i think we're not in sooo bad shape on with our DT core, though with him we would be pretty set

How on God's green earth can you say we are not in bad shape at DT.

WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON ON THIS BOARD TODAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I haven't read this much idiotic crap since the last time I visited Billszone.

pigskinguy said:

WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON ON THIS BOARD TODAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

the Training camp high is wearing off and posters need a new fix for information/ ideas/ complaints, no matter how fictional or idiotic.

Come back late July, it should have run its course by then

Back
Top Bottom