Marino helping Tannehill | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Marino helping Tannehill

If this season goes south, Dan will have a big role attracting people to run and coach this org.

I do not think this season will be a failure, but Dan is probably evaluating RT as well as mentoring him.

Last edited by a moderator:
I do not think this season will be a failure, but Dan is probably evaluating RT as well as mentoring him.

We will find out soon. If they do not split their next four, I do not see this team getting to 9 wins.

I am bringing everyone back if the team goes 9-7. I am not a "playoffs or bust guy".

However, 8-8 or below, I am turning Joe out and starting again. BTW, that is the last thing I want to do, but Joe has had his chances.

They should have Dan stand next to tannehill and have them both launch long passes to Wallace at the same time so rt can learn from Dan's throw trajectory. Idk I'm just making **** up. Hey it sounds good!

I could see Dan being the face of the franchise along side Steve Ross as they find their next coach and FO. Dan adds so much credibility….credibility that Carl Peterson could never, ever bring.

I could see Dan being the face of the franchise along side Steve Ross as they find their next coach and FO. Dan adds so much credibility….credibility that Carl Peterson could never, ever bring.
Hayden - Nice try but we're going to make the playoffs this year. Joe will be our coach for at least another season.

Hayden - Nice try but we're going to make the playoffs this year. Joe will be our coach for at least another season.

I will one up you…if Joe makes the playoffs, I would extended him by two more years. I am bringing him back with 9-7 and giving him another year to his deal. However, 8-8 or less…I am turning the page. He gives no competitive advantage to this team.

This team needs to split 2 of the next 4. Should be interesting.

I will one up you…if Joe makes the playoffs, I would extended him by two more years. I am bringing him back with 9-7 and giving him another year to his deal. However, 8-8 or less…I am turning the page. He gives no competitive advantage to this team.

This team needs to split 2 of the next 4. Should be interesting.
i dont really care one way or another if we bring back philbin, but i also think in ur scenario, it depends how we finish 9-7.

if we r 9-5 and lose the final 2 games to below avg opponents like last year, and miss the playoffs because of that, philbin is prob as good as gone.

Moving on from Philbin would probably dismantle the staff. If we go 7-9 or better, Philbin should get 1 more year.
The Patriots are 1 or 2 years away from crumbling. It might be better to stay the course for a few years.
I am no fan of Philbin, he brings nothing to the team. But I would hate to see our window get closed voluntarily just for the sake of change.
When we hired Philbin, it seemed no one wanted the job. The search could actually make things worse.
As sad as it sounds, we might just be stuck with Philbin.

Like all of you I've watched Dan throughout his post playing carrier on TV. To be honest he doesn't seem like the "giving" kind. I heard an interview with someone in (in the Media) prior to the season about Dan "joining" the the Dolphins, referring to the Elway Broncos model. The guy being interviewed (who wasn't one of the typical media names we often hear) said he couldn't see Dan ever putting effort into "it", his words were something like, "Nothing against Dan, but it's a pretty good life just being Dan Marino (and Dan had no need for anything else)". I pretty much can see that statement being true. I think if Dan went into the film room it was more to have it said he went into the film room than to actually accomplish anything.

I'd feel better if it was Bob Griese giving him pointers and breaking down film. Marino wasn't known as a cerebral QB. He got by on great physical ability and often threw into double and triple coverage. Jim McMahon once remarked that Marino was completing passes he had no business throwing. RT won't be able to get away with that.
Even at the end of his career, he still couldnt read a zone blitz.

I'd feel better if it was Bob Griese giving him pointers and breaking down film. Marino wasn't known as a cerebral QB. He got by on great physical ability and often threw into double and triple coverage. Jim McMahon once remarked that Marino was completing passes he had no business throwing. RT won't be able to get away with that.
Even at the end of his career, he still couldnt read a zone blitz.

Have you ever heard Griese talk and call a game? The guy doesn't even know the names of the players on the field. People (including me) didn't want Henning or Sherman because of their dinosauric mentality. Griese is older than they are. I don't want him anywhere near Tannehill.

Have you ever heard Griese talk and call a game? The guy doesn't even know the names of the players on the field. People (including me) didn't want Henning or Sherman because of their dinosauric mentality. Griese is older than they are. I don't want him anywhere near Tannehill.

Which has absolutely nothing to do with breaking down film and reading a defense. Failed attempt at a false argument.
I'm a big Marino fan, but his physical gifts (quick release, velocity, accuracy) cannot be taught.
He was not a thinking QB. An open receiver to Marino is not an open receiver to most QBs.
If he's giving RT pointers on footwork in the pocket or leadership in the huddle, thats fine. But I dont think he is the best coach in terms of reading defenses. He threw a lot of picks at the end of his career because he made poor reads and couldnt get away with some of those throws anymore because he lost some physical ability. Those are simply facts that are painful to admit.

Like all of you I've watched Dan throughout his post playing carrier on TV. To be honest he doesn't seem like the "giving" kind. I heard an interview with someone in (in the Media) prior to the season about Dan "joining" the the Dolphins, referring to the Elway Broncos model. The guy being interviewed (who wasn't one of the typical media names we often hear) said he couldn't see Dan ever putting effort into "it", his words were something like, "Nothing against Dan, but it's a pretty good life just being Dan Marino (and Dan had no need for anything else)". I pretty much can see that statement being true. I think if Dan went into the film room it was more to have it said he went into the film room than to actually accomplish anything.

People change. Maybe being fired gave Dan something to think about, and he decided it's time to share more. One thing's for sure, it can't hurt.

Here's my home theater's new wallpaper pic, thanks Danny. Truth is I was going to use Daytona's sig pic but my Mrs. would find a way to make things unpleasant if I do that.

Attachments

• Tanny-rino.jpg
    Tanny-rino.jpg
    231.8 KB · Views: 45
Back
Top Bottom