Matt Flynn vs Danny Weeden | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Matt Flynn vs Danny Weeden

Pro Scouts are saying Weeden has the ability to start and MAKE AN IMPACT immediately. He has a quick release, accurate, understands schemes and reads defenses exceptionally well. If he is 5 years younger, he is the number two pick in the draft. He will make some team very happy, and I hope like hell its not the Jets who take him.

With the existing thread titled Matt Flynn vs RG3 I thought I would use the same idea with Danny Weeden. Main reason is RG3 IMO won't be an option for us. Weeden is only 1 year older and reading reports from the Senior Bowl as well as watching him during the season Weeden seems to be impressing big time at the Senior Bowl.

The positives for Flynn are he is familiar with Philbin and the system and he has learned behind Rodgers. The positive for Weeden is he seems to have more talent and IMO more potential than Flynn. Being 28 Weeden can start right away and maybe play 10 years for us. The negatives for both is the obvious and that is none of us know how they will actually pan out as opposed to their potential. They are both risks but every rookie or backup QB is.

If we decide to draft a QB IMO Weeden is the best option for us, even better than Tannehill, because of Weeden's experience in the spread and just pure talent. What say you?

Weeden may be 28 but he is no more ready to start than the average 22 year old that comes out and is drafted. He still has the same amount of years experience and you cant say he can play 10 years because it doesnt work out like that. Its pretty rare for a qb to still be good when he is 38. Some damn good qb's were done well before 38. Im all for Weeden in like the 4th round although I think a club will maybe draft him in 3rd. Weinke was a helluva college qb and still was not drafted until the 4th round. Teams will not just ignore that he is 28 years old.

For those that say he could probably play over 10 more years , the odds are quite against it. Its just a fact that age will catch up with you and some people sooner than others.
Im 45 years old and in military and no matter how good a shape im in Im just not as fast as I was when I was 22. If it was so easy to play till you was 38 you would see an abundence of qb's play to that age. There are a few and overall its rare that a guy can be a good starter up to the age 38. There is not one effective nfl qb in the league at this time thats 38.

I am pretty sure Philbin knows if Flynn is the real deal. The true choice is Weeden vs Flynn + Couples (or insert your favorite pick here). If Flynn is not the guy we must get a QB who is, as QB is the biggest priority.

Weeden may be 28 but he is no more ready to start than the average 22 year old that comes out and is drafted. He still has the same amount of years experience and you cant say he can play 10 years because it doesnt work out like that. Its pretty rare for a qb to still be good when he is 38. Some damn good qb's were done well before 38. Im all for Weeden in like the 4th round although I think a club will maybe draft him in 3rd. Weinke was a helluva college qb and still was not drafted until the 4th round. Teams will not just ignore that he is 28 years old.

...but instead you think getting 2 if not 3 more good years out of a guy whose been battered by defenders for the last 14 or so, has had 3 neck surgeries in less than 2 years including a shaky fusion isn't a pipedream? :idk:

And I guess you're also saying that Matt Ryan, Flacco and Bradford should not have started their first seasons because there's no way they would have been ready? Right? (I purposely omitted Matt Stafford from that analogy because I believe even coming in he's still a cut above, while Weeden and those 3 are more comparable in skill sets).

I am pretty sure Philbin knows if Flynn is the real deal. The true choice is Weeden vs Flynn + Couples (or insert your favorite pick here). If Flynn is not the guy we must get a QB who is, as QB is the biggest priority.

I agree that if it is a toss up between Flynn and whatever QB (Weeden, Tannehill, etc.) . . . Flynn has the advantage because A. He has been in Philbins system, B. He has game experience and C. You get to keep your first/2nd round draft pick to use on another guy (Coples, Richardson, Upshaw, etc.).

However I don't want that to be used in evaluating those QB's . . . Miami needs to draft the best guy available to them and not just take a guy for taking a guy or taking a guy because we can draft another guy because he won't cost us a draft pick. Either get it right now or wait on it again and roll out Matt Moore in 2012. I don't want any second guesses on this pick.

I would love to hear your explanation why Weeden is not ready to start. You have a habit of basing one QBs skill set on another. Weinke and Weeden are two completely different skill sets. Maybe if you actually watched how they perform you could distinguish the differences in them.

IMO Weinke wasn't nearly the QB that Weeden is.

Back
Top Bottom