Matt Flynn vs Danny Weeden | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Matt Flynn vs Danny Weeden

I am pretty sure Philbin knows if Flynn is the real deal. The true choice is Weeden vs Flynn + Couples (or insert your favorite pick here). If Flynn is not the guy we must get a QB who is, as QB is the biggest priority.

Don't forget the $50 million or so that Flynn apparently wants and how that would impact us in terms of the salary cap. I'd take Weeden any day of the week over Flynn, and when you factor in the $50 mil for Flynn- I woudln't even consider that for a 1 game wonder with an adequate arm that lasted until the 7th round for sound reasons.

...but instead you think getting 2 if not 3 more good years out of a guy whose been battered by defenders for the last 14 or so, has had 3 neck surgeries in less than 2 years including a shaky fusion isn't a pipedream? :idk:

And I guess you're also saying that Matt Ryan, Flacco and Bradford should not have started their first seasons because there's no way they would have been ready? Right? (I purposely omitted Matt Stafford from that analogy because I believe even coming in he's still a cut above, while Weeden and those 3 are more comparable in skill sets).

I have never once advocated going after manning although at right price why not. I have no problem with Weeden as a prospect except the one major problem that you cannot ignore and that is age. If you are talking 4th round Im all good with taking a chance on Weeden. Now that being said I dont see him as good a prospect as Bradford or Ryan coming out of college. I would rate him as about an equal or even better prospect than Flacco. I dont think that Weeden would go over Griffin even if he was normal draft age. He plays in basically a one read offense and does it well but you cannot ignore its a system and if you watch him play he does have a great tendency to stare down his receivers.
I do think he would be a first round pick but I could have said the same thing about Chris Weinke. As for him being ready to start from day one I dont see him as ready as Ryan or Bradford but with rookie qb's you never know. There is nothing about Weeden that shows he is more ready to start than any other qb you might take at that point in the first round. I just dont know why anybody assumes that a rookie qb will be ready to start from day one , he is not some elite prospect that would be the number one pick and even alot of them are not ready to start day one. As good a prospect as I though Matt Ryan was and turned out to be I could not just say from looking at him that yes he will be able to start from day one without a doubt. As it turned out he had one of the best rookie seasons in the history of the NFL. I love how people just assume that he will have no problem coming in from day one and being a starting qb until he is 38. Both pretty much rarities in the NFL but the second part being of much greater rarity.

If Brandon Weeden is 23 he's a top 10 pick no problem, and probably a shoe in for us at #8 or 9 in every single mock draft. I think that the kid has serious skills. I'd love it if we can trade down a little and pick him.

I would love to hear your explanation why Weeden is not ready to start. You have a habit of basing one QBs skill set on another. Weinke and Weeden are two completely different skill sets. Maybe if you actually watched how they perform you could distinguish the differences in them.

I compared Weinke and Weeden as prospects not skill sets and I would actually say I think Weinke coming out of college was more ready to start in my opinion. Now im not taking into account what actually happened when he hit the NFL im just talking as he came out of college and not using what happened after the fact. I do think that since Weinke was drafted like a decade ago many of you on this board forget that he was a great NFL prospect and noone on this board could say with a certainity that if both of these guys were in same draft that Weeden would clearly be the best prospect. Maybe if you actually quit reading things into my posts that I dont put it in there you might actually have a point. I never once attacked any skill that Weeden has. I have watched Weinke and Weeden play in college and see nothing about Weeden that makes him a better pro prospect. Both players had strong arms coming out of college and had very good careers but both also played in very different offenses. Too many on this board have no clue about Weinke when he was actually in college and are basing their thoughts of him based on his nfl career which was quite lackluster. Both guys were basically same age coming out Weeden will be 29 by the 5th game of the season. My main problem with Weeden or Weinke is you cannot take either of them too high because of their actual age. I personally dont think Weeden is ready to start from day one and I would say that about most qb's that are in my mind like mid 1st round to early 2nd round prospects . I did not think Jimmy Clauson was a cant miss ready to start from day one prospect either is that a bad thing. Its funny to me though that you attempt to attack something I said about Weeden which applies to alot of rookie NFL quarterbacks but you seem to have no problem thinking Weeden can come into the NFL from day one and be our starter for the next ten years. Just tell me all the 38 year old starting qb's currently in the NFL now. I have never even said I would not like Weeden but I would not draft him before the 3rd round and probably 4th. I see Weeden as a 3rd round pick because of his age, if he were 23 I would see him as a mid first round pick maybe early second.

Similarities with Weinke and Weeden. Both had NFL arms coming out of college both will be 29 their first season in NFL. Both very successful starting qb's in college although I would say Weinke was more successful Heisman and national Championship definately trump cards that cant be matched by Weeden. Both 2nd round baseball draft picks.Now coming out of high school Weinke was the much better prospect recruited by like 70 schools Parade all american first team qb that was the number one high school qb prospect in the nation, Weeden was not close to that coming out of high school. College success though is not always predicator of what will come in NFL. I will leave you with if both Weinke and Weeden were 23 and in same draft I think Weinke would have gone higher in the draft.

I like Weeden but I want Philbin to talk me into Flynn. Not that I have a say in the matter but if Philbin thinks he can win with Flynn that's great (if he is right) becuase then you have more options with pick 8/9. Get a bad azz pass rusher or maybe trade down, maybe Fleener and somebody else I really don't how that's going to shake out. With Flynn you keep that high draft pick which means stay at 8/9 and get a good player or maybe trade down and get a couple of good players.

I don't know where Weeden is going to go. I think he's the 2nd best in the draft, close with RG3 a little better than Tannehil. I think right now the general perception is that Weeden is maybe 4th best so I don't know how far you can trade down and still expect to get him. One team recognizes his arm and his production in college and he is off the board. I think his stock could rise before the draft.

I like Weeden but I want Philbin to talk me into Flynn. Not that I have a say in the matter but if Philbin thinks he can win with Flynn that's great (if he is right) becuase then you have more options with pick 8/9. Get a bad azz pass rusher or maybe trade down, maybe Fleener and somebody else I really don't how that's going to shake out. With Flynn you keep that high draft pick which means stay at 8/9 and get a good player or maybe trade down and get a couple of good players.

I don't know where Weeden is going to go. I think he's the 2nd best in the draft, close with RG3 a little better than Tannehil. I think right now the general perception is that Weeden is maybe 4th best so I don't know how far you can trade down and still expect to get him. One team recognizes his arm and his production in college and he is off the board. I think his stock could rise before the draft.

Well thats the problem in any draft you never know when a guy is going to be drafted. If we really want Weeden he will probably have to be taken with our second round pick because you never can predict what any nfl team will do. Im not an advocate of drafting him before 3rd round , You cant ignore that he will be 29 by our fifth game next year.
I would take Tannehill higher in draft based on Weeden being 5 years older next nfl season. Tannehill is an elite athlete but is much more raw at qb than Weeden.

I don't think Weeden will be available to us with our 2bd round pick..especially after he lights it up today in the senior bowl. if we could trade down into the early twenties and pick up another 2nd rounder I'd be liking Weeden with our 1st rounder

I don't think Weeden will be available to us with our 2bd round pick..especially after he lights it up today in the senior bowl. if we could trade down into the early twenties and pick up another 2nd rounder I'd be liking Weeden with our 1st rounder

nobody is throwing away a first round pick like that

nobody is throwing away a first round pick like that

Would you really be shocked if Weeden emerged as the #3 QB in this draft and a team nabbed him in the mid to late first? I wouldn't be surprised at all. I don't need to tell u that it only takes 1 team to fall in love with him for that to happen.
Like I said, I really feel that if Weeden was 23 there would be no doubt that's he's the 3rd best QB in the draft, and he'd probably be a top 10 pick. The kid has all of the passing ability in the world and by all accounts he's got a great head and he's a great leader. He's not perfect, but there's not a hell of a lot to dislike about Weeden.

I think we might end up trading back into the teens and drafting Tannehill. Sherman is familiar with him from Texas A&M.
It is not what I would want, but there is a possibility, especially if we do not sign Flynn.

Who really knows...

I am hoping we can sign Flynn so we can use our picks for play makers.
#9 WR (Blackmon/Wright) / RB (Richardson) / DB (Clarborne/Kirkpatrick)
#40 TE Fleener

Would you really be shocked if Weeden emerged as the #3 QB in this draft and a team nabbed him in the mid to late first? I wouldn't be surprised at all. I don't need to tell u that it only takes 1 team to fall in love with him for that to happen.
Like I said, I really feel that if Weeden was 23 there would be no doubt that's he's the 3rd best QB in the draft, and he'd probably be a top 10 pick. The kid has all of the passing ability in the world and by all accounts he's got a great head and he's a great leader. He's not perfect, but there's not a hell of a lot to dislike about Weeden.

I would be absolutely shocked no matter what if any team is stupid enough to draft a qb that is going to be 29 the fifth week of the season. Weeden may already be the third best qb in draft but the age will matter. If he is drafted in first round it will be a one of the biggest suprises in nfl history.

I personally would like to draft Weeden, and judging by the current mock drafts going up he probably wont be taken in the first round, so how about a scenario like this; We trade back with our #9 pick (if we can, of course) to somewhere in the teens, or twenties spot, and gaining a second second-round pick. So, with our first round pick, we grab ourselves a dominant pass rusher (unlikely that coples or upshaw are available by then but there are a number of excellent prospects in the draft, so we should be fine there), draft the TE Fleener with our #41 and grab Weeden with our newly acquired second round pick? We could even get an extra third round pick based on who would trade picks with us.

End Result;
Pass Rushing DE/OLB (e.g. Mercilus, Perry, Cam Johnson)
Fleener TE
Weeden QB

P.S. I'm all for grabbing Weeden in the third if he drops that far, this is just precautionary.

weedens age doesnt' really bother me to be honest.

in comparison to the qbs we have had in the past decade or so, if weeden gave us 5 or 6 years he'd have given us 2 or 3X as many seasons as some qb's of the past.

I'm not for drafting him in the first round at all though. the scenario that seems to be falling into place is ryan tannehill from texas a&m. whom I haven't really done enough homework on to get a feel for.

Back
Top Bottom