Matt Hasselbeck sure looked good in the 989 QB Challenge! | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Matt Hasselbeck sure looked good in the 989 QB Challenge!

I don't remember the specifics of what did or didn't happen regarding the trade talks with GB, but I DO know that ck is 100% dead on with regards to all the flip-flopping that has gone on with Hasselbeck and Brees (albeit in a different forum since I wasn't around here until more recently). The overwhelming opinion was that Wanny was crazy to consider giving up so much for Hasselbeck.

That was the first thing I thought of when I read some of the replies in this thread.

BTW, I was just going by what I heard on this board.. I dont fully recall much about 2000.. Anyway, I like the Feeley trade.. I feel we could have had him but a 3rd, but I think he will do good for us and worth the 2nd in the long run..

BlueFin said:
Exactly, alot of Wanny apologists will now try to say its not Wanny's fault, but the fact is Spielman had the deal done for Hasselback and couldn't close it because he didn't have Wanny's blessing, allowing time for Holmgren to move in.
:monkeyr: :hal:

Thats probably one of the reasons he jumped the gun on AJ.He has showed a tendency for "Jump the gunitis" as he did it again during the draft when he got snookered out of a 4th round pick to get Carey.:hump:

Having said that I am pulling for those two to make it.If they dont Rick will be..............:goodnight

I still don't necessarily think he got snookered out of a pick in the draft. I think the Patriots wanted Carey and were trying to trade up to get him, and the Vikings were definitely considering trading with them. Considering how incredibly flustecucked we would have been had we missed out on Carey, to me its worth a 4th round pick to get the Vikings off the phone with the Pats.

CrunchTime said:

Thats probably one of the reasons he jumped the gun on AJ.He has showed a tendency for "Jump the gunitis" as he did it again during the draft when he got snookered out of a 4th round pick to get Carey.:hump:

Having said that I am pulling for those two to make it.If they dont Rick will be..............:goodnight
No argument there, and clearly he did get snookered out of the 4th rounder.

ckparrothead said:
I still don't necessarily think he got snookered out of a pick in the draft. I think the Patriots wanted Carey and were trying to trade up to get him, and the Vikings were definitely considering trading with them. Considering how incredibly flustecucked we would have been had we missed out on Carey, to me its worth a 4th round pick to get the Vikings off the phone with the Pats.

That is a good point. Why would the Dolphins take Wilfork over Carey when Carey is a huge need in comaparison to Wilfork

I did hear reporting of that kind. It wasn't more of Wansteadt's hesitation. It was in the process of getting his OK that the Packers came in and swooped up Matt. If Spielman had the final say at the time, Hassleback would be a Dolphin.

I think perhaps we're splitting hairs mostly but my problem is that I do not remember any such conclusions during the event itself, concluding that "had Spielman had final say, Hasselbeck would be a Dolphin" or that "Wannstedt hesitated" etc.

I just don't remember any language like that, merely that the Phins were in the process of dotting the i's and crossing the t's when the Pack renegged and went with a late Seahawks offer, shutting Miami down in renegotiation attempts and making Spielman furious in the process. At the time though, the whole thing you have to understand, really did not receive a whole lot of press. It was under-covered, considering the Dolphins had just attempted to give a first round pick for an unproven QB like Hasselbeck. I think it was considered a very forgettable near-miss, because I don't think any of the South Florida media wanted to see the Phins do this in the first place. This is part of the reason I severely doubt any conclusions were made by media about how "had Spielman had final say authority the trade would have gone through" or that "Wannstedt hesitated" because there was first off, not a whole lot of detail about the incident going around anyway for detailed insider conclusions like that to be drawn, and second, because if that WERE the case, and it was Wannstedt's hesitation that cost us the trade, I think it is safe to say sometime during the year and a half of Hasselbeck absolutely sucking in Seattle, someone would have mentioned some sort of praise for Wannstedt for hesitating to send a 1st round pick to Green Bay for this guy.

gottahavefootba said:
What Fiedler is lacking is accuracy over 15 yards. It doesn't matter how far you can throw it if you can't hit a guy in stride. This is one of the things that made marino so good (and helped him win those competitions) was he could hit a guy running full speed 40 yards down the field right in stride. How many times have we watched fielder under or over throw chambers that had his guy beat for 5 yards? It wasn't a bad decision to throw to him, it was inacuracy that caused the problem.

I would rate accuracy as the single most important, then decision making then arm strength.

If you watch most other NFL QBs you'll find that they miss on the long ones too. If you go back a couple of seasons to a time when Miami had a little more consistent pass protection (they were never good, but they were better than last year), you'll find that JF's completion % for the long passes was about avg. for the league. The truth is that everybody misses and JF doesn't miss any more often. JF's problem was the bonehead throw that would end a drive.

In my rankings I have accuracy and decision making as 1a and 1b. One is no good without the other. I would rate leadership, release and probably a few more things above arm strength. Once you have the NFL minimum level, arm strength is just not that important. (All of the QBs on our roster are above that)

The truth is that everybody misses and JF doesn't miss any more often.

Thats false. For a lot of other QBs in this league completion percentage for throwing long often is hindered by the fact that the WR isn't all that open or can't come down with it. Miami has had guys who could come down with it and/or get that open...they just have not had a QB that could hit a long throw to save his life. Seriously if you did a survey of 10 longballs that needed to be thrown in stride over the shoulder to be a completion, Fiedler would have completed maybe one of them.

I agree with phunwin....great point ck......there are a lot of people that flip the script to fit their views.

CrunchTime said:

Not only do people flip flop their views, they also like to blame him for things that aren't even his fault.

I'm positive that Spielman is responsible for both acquisitions that you're trying to put at Dave's feet......Of course, if they turn out to be great moves, then Rick will get all the credit.

rafael said:
If you watch most other NFL QBs you'll find that they miss on the long ones too. If you go back a couple of seasons to a time when Miami had a little more consistent pass protection (they were never good, but they were better than last year), you'll find that JF's completion % for the long passes was about avg. for the league. The truth is that everybody misses and JF doesn't miss any more often. JF's problem was the bonehead throw that would end a drive.

In my rankings I have accuracy and decision making as 1a and 1b. One is no good without the other. I would rate leadership, release and probably a few more things above arm strength. Once you have the NFL minimum level, arm strength is just not that important. (All of the QBs on our roster are above that)

Fiedler's completion % for the long ball had to do with a few things, guys like chambers and gadsen making incredible catches on bad throws.
how many times was chambers wide open only to have to stop and come back for the ball and quickly be tackled. Had it been a decent pass it would be a td. Fiedler does alot of things good, but his deep ball acuracy is horible.
How many times in practice does he over throw guys with no defense at all?

gottahavefootba said:
Fiedler's completion % for the long ball had to do with a few things, guys like chambers and gadsen making incredible catches on bad throws.
how many times was chambers wide open only to have to stop and come back for the ball and quickly be tackled. Had it been a decent pass it would be a td. Fiedler does alot of things good, but his deep ball acuracy is horible.
How many times in practice does he over throw guys with no defense at all?

How many times have we seen a well thrown or even perfectly thrown ball by our QB's drop to the ground because our WR's don't know what the heck they are doing out there? Take the time to just watch the Jags game last year. When you do you'll see exactly what I'm talking about. Nevermind the Texans game last year as well.

The Dolphins have one of the worst coached WR corps for almost 10-years now. Coach Ford was a scrub. With any Luck Sullivan will make a huge difference to this WR corps. Goodness knows they are in DEEP need of it.

Oliver...

A QB with an arm like Jay can get away with it if he has very good anticipatory skills in knowing where the WR will be open and when and getting the ball to a spot early for the WR to catch it. As for the Hasselback fiasco, what I remember is that Rick had the deal in place and he had to get DWs approval, and Daves cell phone was off..hence the time lag that gave the hawks a window of opportunity which they took advantage of. In my mind it wasnt meant to be and I think Feeley will be the guy.

Back
Top Bottom