Matt Ryan Contract ATL MUST draft QB | Page 7 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Matt Ryan Contract ATL MUST draft QB

I think you gotta hope for Atlanta to trade out of #4. Matty Ice has a few more years left and they can trade down and get defensive help and more picks. IMO, Hayden Hurst is a very good TE for them and I think Pitts is a wasted pick. They should trade back and draft defense and any team trading up will be looking to grab a QB.
Good idea.

Matty Ice can't win…any Head Coach that rides with him is digging his own grave.

They need to go QB, but I have a feeling they will take Pitts…and their opponents in 2021 will continue to shred that defense.

I live in Atlanta and I love hearing their fans whine on the radio.

Arthur Blank loves his guy - so he will continue to write those checks to Matt Ryan without any delays. Must be nice.

Matty Ice can't win…any Head Coach that rides with him is digging his own grave.

They need to go QB, but I have a feeling they will take Pitts…and their opponents in 2021 will continue to shred that defense.

I live in Atlanta and I love hearing their fans whine on the radio.

Arthur Blank loves his guy - so he will continue to write those checks to Matt Ryan without any delays. Must be nice.
I hope they trade the pick, then, if you're right!

I gotta think Grier got some insight on ATL from trade talks to make him comfortable trading after them but we paid a ransom to get back in front of Detroit.

You know what's interesting about Atlanta and Texas is they both have great QB's but both are picking very high in this draft so while we keep looking at the top of the pile with their great QB's there are some great QBs at the bottom of the draft to. Hum

No clue, I’ll leave that to the cap experts. I just think he can be productive.
I agree with you, I think that he can be productive, but sadly... they've swapped so much of his past salary for cap space over the years that there is now a HUGE balloon payment due.

In 2018, his actual salary was 6M, 2019 2.75M, 2020 1M, 2021 2M... and he didn't play for these amounts, the Falcons put it all on a cap credit card. If they cut him now... they'd incur a 65M dollar dead cap hit. He is literally, uncuttable. Next year, his cap hit would 'only' be 40M. In 2023, it would be 23M...

But this assumes that they go ahead and pay him salaries of 16M in 2022, and 20M in 2023. This is new money, not the spent money pro-rate that is hanging over the cap.

Just to put this in perspective... if they cut him next year (and incur the 40 million dollar penalty) this will completely wipe out the expected rise in the cap... and they STILL won't have any money to spend.

They can either let him continue to play... on a bad team with no money, or cut him and take a one year bloodbath. BTW... Julio Jones' contract is almost as bad... and for the same reasons. At this point, the Falcons are the walking dead.

Now... if they were to trade him and take the one year bloodbath, Ryan's new team would only inherit his very reasonable salary.

We all desperately want QBs to go 1-4 but we really have no clue what ATL will do. This is a new regime, they have an aging roster and plenty of holes so trading back makes a ton of sense for them. I have a feeling they will get more for trading out of 4 than we got for trading out of 3, that'll be a kick in the nuts !

They very well may.

But the key is, if they do trade out, they won’t be at 6 like MIA is.

That’ll be the difference.

If they somehow trade down and only drop to say 8 or 9, they should net more in return. Because it costs more to be at 6 than at 8 or 9.

If they trade down even further, they’ll net even more. Like MIA did with the initial move to 12.

Now if ATL trades down from 4 to 13 and ends up with more than MIA got from SF, that‘ll sting a little. But not so much once they are selecting 7 spots lower and likely not getting the same caliber player MIA is getting at 6.

Back
Top Bottom