Matt Ryan Contract ATL MUST draft QB | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Matt Ryan Contract ATL MUST draft QB

Don't they have a new regime? If so, How do you not start by clearing out all the old crap and giving yourself a chance to shape the roster according to your vision. Also not to mention buying yourself more time. As an example, Coach Flo 1st and 2nd year you can argue aren't on his timeframe to produce or else. So outside of blatant incompetance he got 2 free years there. It's only now the time is ticking on likely a 3 year window.

Point being a new regime in ATL would be given at least a 2 year grace period to clean house.

you might actually be buying yourself an extra year of leeway by not cleaning house right away. Granted, hopefully a coaching staff would be more vested in rebuilding sooner rather than later, but IF you want to buy yourself another year, here's your pitch to Mr Blank

"listen we've already payed Matt and Julio this big lot of money. This is the reclamation projects we worked with in Tenn, RT almost to super bowl. Give us 1 year with Matt and Julio, if that doesnt work we will have less of a hit with their money and we will tear it down, but just give us one season to see what we can do with the two all-pro players. Saints are going to have to reboot, Carolina is in the middle of something they are not happy with, lets just give it one season."

So bam, if the owner was going to give you 2 seasons for a rebuild, then you might have bought yourself a free season before the 2 year rebuild

In what 13, 15 years? No one remembers losers lol just saying if Miami would have drafted him he would have failed miserably
As opposed to the QBs we brought in instead?

I know it feels better to paper over the huge mistakes that have left this franchise in its current state (unless it’s blaming Wanny— who hasn’t made a single decision with any bearing on Miami since 2004, yet it’s his fault this team now gets to the playoffs once in a blue moon and even then can’t stay competitive in the wildcard round), but Ryan is far better than any QB Miami has had since, and also far better than any QB Miami ran out there post-1999.

Would he have won a Super Bowl here? Doubtful given the decisions this team has made after Shula. But maybe more that 0-2 in the playoffs and years of going nowhere fast. That’s literally the bar; any lower and it would be buried. I’ll take my chances with the guy that’s shown he can play QB at a high level. Consistently? No. But the next time Miami has a QB that plays as well as Ryan did in the NFC championship game (4 TDs, almost 400 yards passing, passer rating of 139), it will be the first time since Dan Marino almost 40 years ago.

As opposed to the QBs we brought in instead?

I know it feels better to paper over the huge mistakes that have left this franchise in its current state (unless it’s blaming Wanny— who hasn’t made a single decision with any bearing on Miami since 2004, yet it’s his fault this team now gets to the playoffs once in a blue moon and even then can’t stay competitive in the wildcard round), but Ryan is far better than any QB Miami has had since, and also far better than any QB Miami ran out there post-1999.

Would he have won a Super Bowl here? Doubtful given the decisions this team has made after Shula. But maybe more that 0-2 in the playoffs and years of going nowhere fast. That’s literally the bar; any lower and it would be buried. I’ll take my chances with the guy that’s shown he can play QB at a high level. Consistently? No. But the next time Miami has a QB that plays as well as Ryan did in the NFC championship game (4 TDs, almost 400 yards passing, passer rating of 139), it will be the first time since Dan Marino almost 40 years ago.
True sh it, dude! Nice!

I’m glad Miami didn’t draft Matt Ryan. Dude has had weapons on top of weapons and has done nothing.

He watched a 26 point second half lead in the Super Bowl evaporate before his eyes.......that's quite a feat.

I try not to hate anyone, especially not for something as meaningless as grown men playing "professional" games but I will always have a grudge for letting Brady have a title. Same goes for Russell Wilson.

As people off the field I'm sure their philanthropic contributions make them outstanding human beings, I have no doubt, as a guy who really dislikes the New England Patriots, I can't bring myself to let go of that grudge against both of them.

you might actually be buying yourself an extra year of leeway by not cleaning house right away. Granted, hopefully a coaching staff would be more vested in rebuilding sooner rather than later, but IF you want to buy yourself another year, here's your pitch to Mr Blank

"listen we've already payed Matt and Julio this big lot of money. This is the reclamation projects we worked with in Tenn, RT almost to super bowl. Give us 1 year with Matt and Julio, if that doesnt work we will have less of a hit with their money and we will tear it down, but just give us one season to see what we can do with the two all-pro players. Saints are going to have to reboot, Carolina is in the middle of something they are not happy with, lets just give it one season."

So bam, if the owner was going to give you 2 seasons for a rebuild, then you might have bought yourself a free season before the 2 year rebuild

Argh...maybe! What if they go 8-8 and squeeze into the playoffs? Now what?

My point is that record is likely fools gold and now you're stuck in a situation where the preception is they're "close" with Matt and Julio.

How do you sell a tear down now?

Here are the details of Matt Ryan's contract:

I've heard people say that ATL can't release Ryan after next season because the dead cap hit is $40MM. First, that's not true. If they designate him a post June 1 cut, the cap hit is $25MM in '22 and $15.6MM in '23. That's absorbable if your active QB is on a rookie scale deal. If they don't release Ryan after next season his cap hit will be $48.6MM for 2022 and $43.6MM in 2023!!! And unlike this year, there's no viable option to lower those numbers.

After next season the shell game with his salary is over, they will have about $40MM of cap hit left from previous years AND a cash salary of $24MM and $28MM in '22 and '23. I don't know how ATL can absorb those cash salaries in addition to the $40MM of rollover cap hit from that position.

Atlanta MUST draft a QB because they have to shed salary after next year and a good free agent QB would be too expensive. Their only route is a rookie deal and absorb the dead cap hit by releasing Ryan as a post June 1 cut after next season.

IMO the 1st 4 picks must be QB's (ATL is the only one where people were having questions) and after yesterday, there's no way Cinci tells Burrow he can't have Chase. That means Kyle Pitts is a Dolphin (bittersweet for me because I love Pitts but am also sad to lose out on Smith)
Not a problem, create a short video of someone that looks a lot like Smith wearing a clear mask full of smoke, release it draft night, wait til pick number 17 is in, then release message the person is not Smith, and that smoke is really inhaling mist at a doctors office...Problem solved.

Not a problem, create a short video of someone that looks a lot like Smith wearing a clear mask full of smoke, release it draft night, wait til pick number 17 is in, then release message the person is not Smith, and that smoke is really inhaling mist at a doctors office...Problem solved.

What's magic about Smith. Why not Smith/Waddle together?

Back
Top Bottom