Matt Ryan Contract ATL MUST draft QB | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Matt Ryan Contract ATL MUST draft QB

Falcons will draft Pitts unless maybe a team offers a kings ransom for their pick, which is probably unlikely.

They do not have to draft a QB at #4. The best 3 QBs are all gone. That is reaching.
It depends on who they have graded where. If they have a high enough grade on a remaining QB, I don’t believe there’s such a thing as reaching for a QB. There’s too many teams that will trade up for that QB if you trade back

I've said it previously and i'll say it again. If you're a GM etc for this team then how do you not look at that rosters and start thinking rebuild? You're in a prime position to trade down and start acquiring some picks.

How do you not trade Julio? Ryan? etc?

Your time in the sun for a SB run is done.

That's still crazy given that he'd be 40 and given their cap situation now they simply can't afford to have a QB right now at $38MM cap hit.
Not to mention they may not be this high in the draft in the next 2 seasons ... new regime isn't trying to lose IMO ... Strike now the inevitable is on the horizon ... or settle for a lesser ranked/scouted Qb in a later round

I've said it previously and i'll say it again. If you're a GM etc for this team then how do you not look at that rosters and start thinking rebuild? You're in a prime position to trade down and start acquiring some picks.

How do you not trade Julio? Ryan? etc?

Your time in the sun for a SB run is done.
Nobody wants Ryan or Julio at the price it would cost them.

Here are the details of Matt Ryan's contract:

I've heard people say that ATL can't release Ryan after next season because the dead cap hit is $40MM. First, that's not true. If they designate him a post June 1 cut, the cap hit is $25MM in '22 and $15.6MM in '23. That's absorbable if your active QB is on a rookie scale deal. If they don't release Ryan after next season his cap hit will be $48.6MM for 2022 and $43.6MM in 2023!!! And unlike this year, there's no viable option to lower those numbers.

After next season the shell game with his salary is over, they will have about $40MM of cap hit left from previous years AND a cash salary of $24MM and $28MM in '22 and '23. I don't know how ATL can absorb those cash salaries in addition to the $40MM of rollover cap hit from that position.

Atlanta MUST draft a QB because they have to shed salary after next year and a good free agent QB would be too expensive. Their only route is a rookie deal and absorb the dead cap hit by releasing Ryan as a post June 1 cut after next season.

IMO the 1st 4 picks must be QB's (ATL is the only one where people were having questions) and after yesterday, there's no way Cinci tells Burrow he can't have Chase. That means Kyle Pitts is a Dolphin (bittersweet for me because I love Pitts but am also sad to lose out on Smith)
They restructured his contract and Ryan is still slinging it. He was the 4th leading passer last year. They are still in the window of winning. They will need to address a QB, but they have a couple of years still. They need to stop people.

The Falcons took $21 million of Ryan's base salary for 2021 and converted it into a signing bonus spread out over the 2021, 2022 and 2023 seasons. Doing so knocked Ryan's cap number for this season from $40,912,500 down to $26,912,500, according to Roster Management System.
What this also does is make it harder for Atlanta to get out from Ryan's contract if it wanted to following the season. The restructure now leaves Ryan with $40.525 million as dead money in 2022 and $15,612,500 in dead money in 2023.

It also jumped his cap number for 2022 to $48,662,500 and his 2023 cap hit to $43,612,500.

Really? "Yes i do!"
Lol...You're in their front office?
It is simple logic. If someone makes an offer and Atlanta accepts then you are right. If they don’t then I am right.

Every player in the NFL has a value. We don’t know what that value is. The GMs determine it through contracts and trades. I’m sure the Falcons would like to move on from Julio and Matt, but they are not going to give them away. They seek a certain return which they obviously haven’t found anybody willing to pay that price.

I have a feeling they will get move for trading out of 4 than we got for trading out of 3, that'll be a kick in the nuts !
A team giving them more than a:

2021 12th overall pick
2022 1st round
2022 3rd round
2023 1st round

For the 4th QB available, or a non-QB?

I wouldn't be too concerned

Matt Ryan's contract is a freaking cancer upon their cap. They've given him so much money up-front, that they will be stuck with a massive hole when he's gone. Just like Philly... just like New Orleans...

Oh, they'll minimize it by adding void years to the thing, but when he leaves... whammo! And for the next 1-2 years they will have no cap, no opportunity to sign free agents of worth, and they'll be forced to allow some of their good players to walk. The Matt Ryan contract is an example of what you DON'T do in today's NFL. They bought him on credit, and then didn't win.

Their BEST bet is to do a tear down... sell assets like we did in 2018-2019. Maximize their draft picks... but I'm not sure that their Front Office is that smart. Indeed, the Ryan contract says, no.

Today... right now... they only have 52 players under contract and have less than 4 million in cap space, and this is AFTER converting Ryan's salary to bonus.

"Screwwwwwwwwed, they are," says Master Yoda.

Back
Top Bottom