Matt Ryan Contract ATL MUST draft QB | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Matt Ryan Contract ATL MUST draft QB

Don't they have a new regime? If so, How do you not start by clearing out all the old crap and giving yourself a chance to shape the roster according to your vision. Also not to mention buying yourself more time. As an example, Coach Flo 1st and 2nd year you can argue aren't on his timeframe to produce or else. So outside of blatant incompetance he got 2 free years there. It's only now the time is ticking on likely a 3 year window.

Point being a new regime in ATL would be given at least a 2 year grace period to clean house.
Agree completely...

From my perspective that cap hit is not absorbable unless you're tanking. Still, it would make a lot of sense to keep Matt Ryan if they were to draft a QB who isn't ready for prime time quite yet like Trey Lance or Justin Fields, one of whom may be available at #4. Still, I doubt they draft a QB. Although, it is entirely possible that they trade out of the pick to a team that wants to draft a QB.

Here are the details of Matt Ryan's contract:

I've heard people say that ATL can't release Ryan after next season because the dead cap hit is $40MM. First, that's not true. If they designate him a post June 1 cut, the cap hit is $25MM in '22 and $15.6MM in '23. That's absorbable if your active QB is on a rookie scale deal. If they don't release Ryan after next season his cap hit will be $48.6MM for 2022 and $43.6MM in 2023!!! And unlike this year, there's no viable option to lower those numbers.

After next season the shell game with his salary is over, they will have about $40MM of cap hit left from previous years AND a cash salary of $24MM and $28MM in '22 and '23. I don't know how ATL can absorb those cash salaries in addition to the $40MM of rollover cap hit from that position.

Atlanta MUST draft a QB because they have to shed salary after next year and a good free agent QB would be too expensive. Their only route is a rookie deal and absorb the dead cap hit by releasing Ryan as a post June 1 cut after next season.

IMO the 1st 4 picks must be QB's (ATL is the only one where people were having questions) and after yesterday, there's no way Cinci tells Burrow he can't have Chase. That means Kyle Pitts is a Dolphin (bittersweet for me because I love Pitts but am also sad to lose out on Smith)

It isn't much about drafting a qb, but it is almost guranteed that he will throw for over 4k, and throw over 25 td's if not more since we are playing 17 games. He is a big player in their fanbase as well so getting rid of him this season isn't worth it. Atlanta's defense was the reason you never heard anything from Atlanta beyond Matt Ryan. They will be picking someone like Parsons more likely.

It isn't much about drafting a qb, but it is almost guranteed that he will throw for over 4k, and throw over 25 td's if not more since we are playing 17 games. He is a big player in their fanbase as well so getting rid of him this season isn't worth it. Atlanta's defense was the reason you never heard anything from Atlanta beyond Matt Ryan. They will be picking someone like Parsons more likely.
Ryan is a baller...their defense has lacked for many of their down years!

A team giving them more than a:

2021 12th overall pick
2022 1st round
2022 3rd round
2023 1st round

For the 4th QB available, or a non-QB?

I wouldn't be too concerned

Remember that 3rd is a comp pick it's pretty low. Dropping from 3 to 12 was a big jump. And SF have a roster that could make both those firsts very late. If for example ATL traded with Denver got 9, next year's 1st (which lets face it could be very high, Denver aren't great) their 2nd this year, maybe a 5th rounder or something. I would probably take that deal over the one we got from SF. Denver much more likely to be picking top 10 next year than SF, you can parlay that into a 2023 first if you want.

If before the season ended and before Pitts blew up, we all found out that we traded down to 6, got another 1st round pick and still got Devonta Smith, most of us would say that’s a joke. It isn’t a joke and rn probably what will happen. Crazy time.

Remember that 3rd is a comp pick it's pretty low. Dropping from 3 to 12 was a big jump. And SF have a roster that could make both those firsts very late. If for example ATL traded with Denver got 9, next year's 1st (which lets face it could be very high, Denver aren't great) their 2nd this year, maybe a 5th rounder or something. I would probably take that deal over the one we got from SF. Denver much more likely to be picking top 10 next year than SF, you can parlay that into a 2023 first if you want.
Likewise.

If before the season ended and before Pitts blew up, we all found out that we traded down to 6, got another 1st round pick and still got Devonta Smith, most of us would say that’s a joke. It isn’t a joke and rn probably what will happen. Crazy time.
Smith is great. So good he should go #1 according to some. Bye Smith.

Smith is great. So good he should go #1 according to some. Bye Smith.
We’re not getting Pitts right now unless Atlanta is bluffing looking for a trade partner. Just find it inconceivable that they wouldn’t draft Ryan’s replacement this year knowing how big his cap hit is next year

We’re not getting Pitts right now unless Atlanta is bluffing looking for a trade partner. Just find it inconceivable that they wouldn’t draft Ryan’s replacement this year knowing how big his cap hit is next year
What if the three QBs going #1, #2, #3 are the only QB's they'd consider at #4?

Back
Top Bottom