Max Jean-Gilles | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Max Jean-Gilles

Philter25 said:
What pick did we take Carey at? Also, didnt Philly trade UP to take Shawn Andrews, who right now is playing RG.

I wouldnt be upset if we took MJG at #16. If he is rated high on our draft board and all the guys before him are taken, then so be it.

Both Carey and Andrews were drafted as tackles, that is what is relevent, they were not drafted to play guard per say.

Lets have a look at G's in say the top 20 over the last 20 years. There have been 20, including 8 in the top 10. Even in the past 10 years, we've had Ruben Brown at 14, Chris Naeole at 10 to the Saints, Damien Woody at 17 to the Pats, Matt Stinchcomb at 18 and Steve Hutchinson at 17.

So it's hardly a rarity.

LIQUID24 said:
All true. Is there any chance he falls to our 2nd rounder? I wouldn't mind taking him there.:D

Now that would be nice :D

Don't see it though. That said, I thought Eric Steinbach was a top 15 pick and he ended up at 33 a couple of years ago. Now he's playing at a Pro Bowl level next to Levi Jones for the Bengals. And of course he's a guy that Miami tried to trade up and get but failed.

Boomer said:
None of these points are even remotely relevent. But well done for continuing to prove your lack of any knowledge on the point of a draft board. I could care less if Joan of Arc was your mum, it still has nothing to do with what we're talking about.

Oh and I'm still waiting for you to show me the point about Faneca.

Excuse Mr. BBC reporter, or whatever you are.....self proclaimed draft guru.

My friend coached in the NFL for over 20 years, including head coaching for 9, I'd say his opinion of how an NFL team views the guard position is a little more relevent than a messageboard draft guru from England. He happens to know Nick Saban very well and was in his lockerroom this season.

What I'm saying is true regarding how teams view the top half of round one regarding drafting guards, whether you agree or not.

The fact is, unless the guard is a really really special player, he will not get drafted in the top 16 picks.

Boomer said:
Lets have a look at G's in say the top 20 over the last 20 years. There have been 20, including 8 in the top 10. Even in the past 10 years, we've had Ruben Brown at 14, Chris Naeole at 10 to the Saints, Damien Woody at 17 to the Pats, Matt Stinchcomb at 18 and Steve Hutchinson at 17.

So it's hardly a rarity.

Top half of round one.......which is top 16, used to be top 15 and top 14 before that, 3 out of the last 5 you named don't even fit the criteria I was referring too.

This discussion was about the 16th pick Boomer.

Wasn't Damien Woody a center coming out of college?

And compare how many tackles were drafted in that time.

BlueFin said:
Excuse Mr. BBC reporter, or whatever you are.....self proclaimed draft guru.

My friend coached in the NFL for over 20 years, including head coaching for 9, I'd say his opinion of how an NFL team views the guard position is a little more relevent than a messageboard draft guru from England. He happens to know Nick Saban very well and was in his lockerroom this season.

What I'm saying is true regarding how teams view the top half of round one regarding drafting guards, whether you agree or not.

The fact is, unless the guard is a really really special player, he will not get drafted in the top 16 picks.

Point 1: I'm not a BBC Reporter.

Point 2: I have no good idea why where I work is relevant to ANYTHING, most of all this argument, other than to highlight how childish you are, trailing me round endlessly on these forums and slagging me off. And yet doubtless dining out on some of the information I've passed over the years.

Point 3: Not sure where I said I was a 'draft guru'. In fact I know I haven't said it.

Point 4: The fact that your imaginary friend was in Nick Saban's locker room might make great fodder when you're out drinking moonshine with your buddies, suffice to say that I'm not sure how this gives him the inside track on how Saban stacks his draft board.

Point 5: The fact I'm from England is relevant how? Exactly?

Point 6: Chris Naeole strike you as a really special player?

Point 7: Remind me again how you know that Saban doesn't view Jean Gilles as a special player?

Point 8: It claims that you are 43 years old. You're either a very jealous person, still immature or just a fool. I can't work out which. The fact that you like to throw in my job and my country of origin whenever we have a conversation cracks me up. You float in here giving guarantees that you know what the Dolphins will do as if you're the ghost of Joel Buchsbaum and yet you summarily fail to take on board any of the points made, but continue to bleat on that you know a headcoach.

Point 9: The act is getting very dull indeed.

BlueFin said:
Top half of round one.......which is top 16, used to be top 15 and top 14 before that, 3 out of the last 5 you named don't even fit the criteria I was referring too.

This discussion was about the 16th pick Boomer.

Wasn't Damien Woody a center coming out of college?

And compare how many tackles were drafted in that time.

Funny because I set the criteria. Interesting that you made the discussion about the 16th pick, then used Faneca as a rod to beat me with when he was drafted 26.

Woody was a G.

Tackle is a far more important position. It's not part of the discussion.

BlueFin said:
Both Carey and Andrews were drafted as tackles, that is what is relevent, they were not drafted to play guard per say.
Well didnt they both play OG? Andrews STILL plays OG. At least Carey moved to RT, so I can let that one slide. However Andrews was Philly's starting RG this entire season IIRC. I dont care if he was drafted as a PK, he went into training camp as an OG and he is playing OG.

Heck, a guy can be drafted as a C but if he plays OG in his first year, then he is an OG.

I agree with you that you USUALLY dont draft an OG that high, however if a team feels that a potential stud OG is on the board and we have a hole at OG and he is rated highest on their draft board, you take that player.

Boomer said:
Funny because I set the criteria. Interesting that you made the discussion about the 16th pick, then used Faneca as a rod to beat me with when he was drafted 26.

Woody was a G.

Tackle is a far more important position. It's not part of the discussion.

You set the criteria? It started with you suggesting Jean Giles would make a great 16th pick, the criteria has always revolved around the 16th pick, not the expanded view you took to try make your vain point.

Actually old boy, Woody was a center.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Damien_Woody

Tackle is a part of the discussion in that we would be passing up more valuable tackles to draft your less valuable guard.

Oh, and my imaginary friend is Wayne Fontes, come to Tampa Bay and I'll introduce you.

Philter25 said:
Well didnt they both play OG? Andrews STILL plays OG. At least Carey moved to RT, so I can let that one slide. However Andrews was Philly's starting RG this entire season IIRC. I dont care if he was drafted as a PK, he went into training camp as an OG and he is playing OG.

Heck, a guy can be drafted as a C but if he plays OG in his first year, then he is an OG.

I agree with you that you USUALLY dont draft an OG that high, however if a team feels that a potential stud OG is on the board and we have a hole at OG and he is rated highest on their draft board, you take that player.

Philter, all I'm saying is originally their draft position was based on them being tackles, in both of their cases right tackles. What happens after is not relevent to how highly they were drafted to play tackle.

Also, my point was, in this particular draft, there are too many impact players at other positions to consider drafting a guard at 16.

BlueFin said:
You set the criteria? It started with you suggesting Jean Giles would make a great 16th pick, the criteria has always revolved around the 16th pick, not the expanded view you took to try make your vain point.

Actually old boy, Woody was a center.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Damien_Woody

Tackle is a part of the discussion in that we would be passing up more valuable tackles to draft your less valuable guard.

Oh, and my imaginary friend is Wayne Fontes, come to Tampa Bay and I'll introduce you.

He still would make an excellent 16th pick regardless of what you think.

Actually if you watched any BC football when Woody was playing, you'd know that he flip flopped positions his last 2 seasons. But then I wouldn't expect you to notice that.

Who's the more valuable tackle? Winston? McNeil? Winston off the mediocre year, still troubled by the knee, McNeil with the back issues?

Next.

Wayne Fontes. A man who knows so much about Saban's draft policy. 1-4 in the playoffs and an overall losing record.

Woooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Great job on answering all the other questions.

NOT.

Back
Top Bottom