McCourty on Tua | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

McCourty on Tua

Correct. Some may remember I did a study of teams appearing in the SB since 2000? All but 1-2 teams had 3 or more of top 10 D, top 10 OL, top 10 run game, top QB, top HC. Didn't focus on WRs, but I'm confident top receivers are common for SB teams. That includes, TB, Rodgers, PManning. More weapons make a QB more productive. Weapons are valuable, but not a crutch.

I think it's probably best to focus on teams that made the conference championship, and generally they'll all have a winning blend of OL, WR, pass rusher, and DB. Of these (off hand), I believe that WR (or elite TE's) and pass rusher are relatively strong most often for such teams. But, the great teams that are deficient in any of these areas have to make them up big-time in one or more of the others. Receiving talent imo is the most important of these. It can overcome the most, regarding other deficiencies, and, if you don't have high-end receiving options, it's the most difficult deficiency to overcome.

Receivers who are trustworthy but also have big-play ability separate the haves from the have-nots more than any other non-QB's. You can scheme pressure and coverage, as long as you have one or the other; you can scheme protection to some extent; and, you can scheme guys open (sometimes), but you can't scheme playmaking.

You can't scheme Jerry Rice an 80-yard TD ok a 5-yard slant or Randy Moss out-running 2 DB's and Mossing a 3rd or Tyreek Hill using his burst and speed to outrun a perfect coverage call from the #1 D in the league. A. Brown, C. Johnson, J. Jones, etc. Some teams are so bad they waste these guys, but that just means they're particularly bad elsewhere.

Everything in football is a balance, and everything matters, but some things matter more than others.

I think it's probably best to focus on teams that made the conference championship, and generally they'll all have a winning blend of OL, WR, pass rusher, and DB. Of these (off hand), I believe that WR (or elite TE's) and pass rusher are relatively strong most often for such teams. But, the great teams that are deficient in any of these areas have to make them up big-time in one or more of the others. Receiving talent imo is the most important of these. It can overcome the most, regarding other deficiencies, and, if you don't have high-end receiving options, it's the most difficult deficiency to overcome.

Receivers who are trustworthy but also have big-play ability separate the haves from the have-nots more than any other non-QB's. You can scheme pressure and coverage, as long as you have one or the other; you can scheme protection to some extent; and, you can scheme guys open (sometimes), but you can't scheme playmaking.

You can't scheme Jerry Rice an 80-yard TD ok a 5-yard slant or Randy Moss out-running 2 DB's and Mossing a 3rd or Tyreek Hill using his burst and speed to outrun a perfect coverage call from the #1 D in the league. A. Brown, C. Johnson, J. Jones, etc. Some teams are so bad they waste these guys, but that just means they're particularly bad elsewhere.

Everything in football is a balance, and everything matters, but some things matter more than others.
Best example of this is the Bengals IMO... Great receiving talent, poor OL but still made it there. And no ones questioning whether or not Burrow would've made it there with a subpar receiving cast, because in the end, it really doesnt matter... All you have to know is if your QB can lead a SB team to a SB, some can, some cant... You you dont really know until you give em the opportunity.

Like you said couple of weeks ago, on paper, this offense should be top 5 or GTFO!

Best example of this is the Bengals IMO... Great receiving talent, poor OL but still made it there. And no ones questioning whether or not Burrow would've made it there with a subpar receiving cast, because in the end, it really doesnt matter... All you have to know is if your QB can lead a SB team to a SB, some can, some cant... You you dont really know until you give em the opportunity.

Like you said couple of weeks ago, on paper, this offense should be top 5 or GTFO!

Exactly, and even though Cincinnati was significantly outmatched overall, they almost won - thanks largely to the Rams 2nd best WR going down with an injury.

Most people would say Joe Montana was an elite QB, but he compares physically to Tua in a lot of ways.
Funny, Jerry Rice and John Taylor sure knew how to play WR.
Oh, Roger Craig too.
And on, and on.
Russ Francis, Brent Jones, Wendell Tyler, Dwight Clark - and a great OL Randy Cross and co

Most people would say Joe Montana was an elite QB, but he compares physically to Tua in a lot of ways.
Funny, Jerry Rice and John Taylor sure knew how to play WR.
Oh, Roger Craig too.
And on, and on.

Don't forget Dwight Clark, and one of the most famous catches ever...

Don't matter who the Qb is, If a QB has no weapons, not much he can do.

Last edited:
Russ Francis, Brent Jones, Wendell Tyler, Dwight Clark - and a great OL Randy Cross and co
Ahhh Rus Francis. I thought I would never hear that name here. To that date, the best player to come out of Hawaii. Also Jesse Sapolu. Jesse went to the same high school as my wife. Jesse used to get beaten by his dad real bad.

While it's true Tua is 0-4 for his career against the Bills and Chiefs, what about the flip side of that statement. Against the rest of the league he's 13-4. As concerning as the 0-4 record is against two of the AFC power houses, the 13-4 record needs to get at least a little acknowledgement.

To further the point, at any point in time did Tua’s team have better, equal or near equal talent compared to KC and BUF??

If the answer was yes— that’s when 0-4 matters. But it hasn’t been close yet so it doesn’t.

Let’s try a little better litmus test by comparing teams with more comparable talent the past 2 seasons. MIA and NE.

IIRC the Dolphins are 3-0 against NE when Tua starts.

FWIW, the great Justin Herbert is 0-2 including a 45-0 shellacking.

But nobody wants to talk about that.

Ahhh Rus Francis. I thought I would never hear that name here. To that date, the best player to come out of Hawaii. Also Jesse Sapolu. Jesse went to the same high school as my wife. Jesse used to get beaten by his dad real bad.
Francis was awesome. And he hurt us in the SB over the middle. That’s sad about Sapolu - he was terrific too

To further the point, at any point in time did Tua’s team have better, equal or near equal talent compared to KC and BUF??

If the answer was yes— that’s when 0-4 matters. But it hasn’t been close yet so it doesn’t.

Let’s try a little better litmus test by comparing teams with more comparable talent the past 2 seasons. MIA and NE.

IIRC the Dolphins are 3-0 against NE when Tua starts.

FWIW, the great Justin Herbert is 0-2 including a 45-0 shellacking.

But nobody wants to talk about that.
Yes I think the official stat is Tua has 8 loses in games he's started... 3 to Buffalo, 1 to KC and 1 to the Titans who were the number 1 seed in the AFC last year. So 5 of the 8 loses were to conference elite teams and the other 3 loses were games inwhich Miami was either leading late in the 4th quarter but couldn't hold on for the win.

What ever happen in past is over.. this year 3.. Tua got make it happen and be man...Show other 31 team he is baller...that what it all boil down too...he got everything he need to be successful....

What ever happen in past is over.. this year 3.. Tua got make it happen and be man...Show other 31 team he is baller...that what it all boil down too...he got everything he need to be successful....

Yes Finally he does. And so does pretty much all the other QBs of his age or younger, which their Organization did the right thing and started building around their QBs early on. Theyve also had time to build chemistry. Alot of them have the stats but no playoff, so in reality, that doesnt make them any better than Tua.

Back
Top Bottom