McDaniel on the TE position | Page 10 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

McDaniel on the TE position

Receiving TDs are by system. Raheem gets those red zone looks in Miami.

Career Shultz is only .3 YPC higher.

Production comes basically from Dallas using Schultz a bit more. If Miami wanted to use Smythe a bit more production would be the same.

They players aren't that different really - Schultz is overrated

I could not conceivably disagree more, but that’s why we all are entitled to our opinions. :)

Hey e, think about what you just said, "if I was Grier", if you were Grier you would have signed him to a long term contract, festooned him with Orchids, burned incense to his Majesty, and even sacrificed a Virgin Goat. Now if you were in his place thaaaaat might be different 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

The Ever Harassing With Semantics VIPER

Um….

Maybe I should rephrased my comment. We didn’t use our TE as much as other teams do in our offense as far as catches go. Thanks bro.
Oh I agree. But the question is why? Was it a lack of talent, ie the TE not getting open (we know they are running routes a lot). It could also be that we don't design many plays were the TE is read 1/2 ( that who knows). McDaniel may also not design a lot if plays were the TE is a high target priority due to lack of faith in their ability to consistently get open (a talent issue).

IMO I think McDaniel would love to utilize the TE position much more. I also believe a majority of posters are wrong about the type of TE McDaniel wants. They think we'll we don't use the TE is the pass game so we need a big blocker. We actually use the TE a ton in the passing (routes run) we just Lach production from the TE position (for what ever reason.

As far as what McDaniel wants, IMO LaPorta was their #1 target last year (carbon copy of Kittle), he was 6'3 245. Kittle was 6'4 247. Look at the guys we have taken flyers on since McDaniel. Conner 6'3 235, Higgins 6'3 237, Hill 6'4 247. He is not looking for this big hulking inline blocker. While the TE is asked to line up inline a vast majority of the blocking ( wide zone run schemes) require the TE to block guys (LB/S) in the second level in space. I think he wants a guy with fast/quick feet to get out is space to block and get into routes much quicker. They tried to use Smythe more this year as a route runner and blocker in space, he just doesn't have the skill set for it. He had little targets (despite a lot of routes ran) and he run block grades suffered trying to block in space more.

One guy I could see Miami looking at if he falls some and is there in the 5th is Bell out of FSU.

Tua simply never looked that way. I think the reason is threefold: 1) Tua was getting pushed by the center of the pocket pretty quickly and couldn’t get past read 2 most of the time 2) Tua isn’t a check down guy right now, and hill was the check down 3) there may not be a level of trust yet.

When I hear things from MM like TE involvement is the next step, I think he means for Tua, not for the route concepts.
I'm not sure if what I am about to blurt is an indictment on Tua, McD or both. Probably both.

Going back to Gesicki, there are open TEs (and others) in this offense but I think both our leading chaps are SO much into the big play that the sustaining play is neglected.

If it's primarily on Tua, it's imperative that McD as head coach fixes that issue. I personally believe it's on both of them and they have to work on it with aplomb and gusto.

Tua was always looking for big plays in college (and mostly delivered). It's how he almost got killed right before half time in a meaningless 35-7 blowout at that point.

Just to be clear, I am in agreement with what you stated.

It would be nice if the TE got more than 2 or 3 looks a game. (I realize its probably more then that but seems Tua doesn't look to the TE much)

The question is do we have that player in development, or will we need to use draft or free agency resources?
I hear they LOVE Julian hill. So maybe he develops but who knows. Doubt we sign an established te but there’s really only a hand full of actually good tes in the league. It would be great if we could draft a laporta type but that talent doesn’t come around that often

I hear they LOVE Julian hill. So maybe he develops but who knows. Doubt we sign an established te but there’s really only a hand full of actually good tes in the league. It would be great if we could draft a laporta type but that talent doesn’t come around that often
Not impressed with Hill at all

Back
Top Bottom