McDaniel’s issues | Page 7 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

McDaniel’s issues

Year 2 will tell us a lot of about McDaniel.
Since Shula I have been hoping for a coach that is able to take the talent it inherited and work with it and make it grow. Outside of Tua on offense I did not see much just lots of new veteran free agents.
I was expecting this year a more diversified attack as the year wore on from McDaniel. Once the 49ers figured out how to shut out Waddle and Hill our loosing slide started and their was no plan B with our offense until the Jets and Buffalo playoff game where McD relied on the running game against the jets and used Mike G a bit more.
We spent a ton of draft picks and FA money on the offense between Hill and Armstead so improvement should have been expected.
I want to see our draft picks next year in the line up.
I want to see more dicipline next year and better tackling a sure sign of a successful coach.
Next year can't happen fast enough.
yup

First, I'm going to come across as bashing Mcd, but be patient.
His partial list of flaws in '22 . . .
slow getting plays in, clock management, no rubs, no quick slants, no seam routes, no/little use of flats or 0<>5 yds beyond LOS, no targeting personnel weaknesses, I'll stop here.
The good news is all those are in-game decisions and all are correctable. The bad news is, after 18 games almost none WERE corrected. It's almost like the game was much faster for him than it was for the QBs. There's no way more verbiage in a play call takes an extra 10 seconds. It's Mcd arguing with himself.
I'm a fan of Mcd as HC. He's made the O what every fan has wanted since #13. Good gameplans. Good play design. All that pre-game stuff is good. I'm in the camp he needs a real OC. I'll also argue he needs a new spotter in the booth for challenges. I'd feel much better if I had seem improvements i in-game decisions.

Nice discussion. If McDaniel isn't developing the scheme and calling the plays then why is he here? His good looks and funny sense of humor? The way I see it the whole point of having an HC that has developed the system and calls the plays is consistency from year to year. Hasn't Tua had to learn several offensive systems over the years? Wouldn't it be better for him or any of our other QBs to stay in the same system for a while? My guess is McDaniel will get better at the clock management thing. That's the least of my concerns going into next year.

I've often thought of this when watching Andy Reid and the Chiefs. If your HC is calling plays, why not have your def coordinator be in charge of the clock management? It's not like the def coaches are very busy when we have the ball

McD as a first year coach took us to the playoffs and did an outstanding job, almost getting us the victory. We lost by 3. Would were supposed to lost by double digits.

In my book, McD has no “issues”.
Lol.
So Brian Flores, who was a terrible in game coach finished with a better record 9-8 last year than McDaniel who was 9-9. Flores did not have Hill, Williams or Armstead.
So I guess you think Flores did not have issues as a head coach. He sucked and everyone in the universe knew it.

McDaniel did a poor job coaching during the last 7 games. He went 1-6. He had poor game plans, poor play calling, poor decision making on situations that led directly to losses. High school coaches can get plays into the huddle better than McDaniel.
Those are issues. When you lose you need to do alot of things better.

The colleges do it correctly. They hustle to the line of scrimmage then spend 15 seconds or more looking at the sidelines and figuring out what to do. Many college offenses snap it so early all game long they have a very difficult time adjusting late when there's need to bleed the clock. I have no idea why the NFL has recently evolved to the fascination with snapping between 0 and 1, and often after 0.

For all the whining about officials they really should crack down on the leniency beyond 0. There should be exponentially more delay of game penalties. But they don't want to stop the game there for the same reason they don't want to measure for first downs. Keep things moving. The solution to preventing measurements is always to allow extreme benefit to the offense on early downs. If that first down play gained 9.9 yards the officials almost always mark it artificially forward and wave first down. Nobody will ever convince me it's not intentional. That trend is unmistakable compared to when I began following football. In that run oriented era there was plenty of time for measurements so the ball was spotted correctly and the league often didn't mind if there were measurements on 2 or 3 consecutive plays.

Anyway, Dallas and Detroit are two teams who operate like college teams in terms of lining up early then gauging how to proceed. McDaniel's plan of rushing at the end of the play clock is the worst way to proceed. You've got to bank time and margin for error early.

And don't waste time outs then they aren't worth 5 yards to begin with. That drives me nuts, no different than when I was 8 years old and realized how stupid it was. When is analytics going to invade that realm? There should be quarterback meetings throughout the offseason in which each one is quizzed and schooled on various situations and whether or not calling the time out is proper. Hire an analytics guy to run those meetings.

I mean it's just his 1st year and we hear cries of fire him on here lol 🐻
Tbf he's been an oc before and while the offense is on the field that pretty much all he is now. So he should be used to getting the plays called in a timely manner. Our last game was atrocious as far as getting the plays in.

And if that wasn't bad enough, McDaniel needs to have someone go in motion on practically every play. Even when they get lined up with seconds to spare, someone goes in motion and too many times it results on a delay of game or illegal shift penalty. IMO, there's a possibility that McDaniel is making everything far more complicated than it needs to be.
There are multiple reasons for pre-snap movement.....it is not just to complicate things.

That movement give the QB a more accurate read on the what the defense is doing.
That movement tells the OL info on a potential blitz so they can make pre-snap adjustments
That movement will at times get you the matchup you want in the secondary
That movement can also overload one side of the field creating one on one opportunities on the other side

When you consider, our QB really excelled this year (Tua) and our OL played much better than I anticipated and our receivers were some of the most prolific in the league....I would say the motion that you see is a huge part of that.

Funny when you watch the Chiefs, they look like a clown car at the circus in their backfield with all the motion going on, they are just good at it after running that offense for multiple seasons under Andy Reid. We will get there also, each season should show improvement as the players become more established and disciplined in their roles.

Tbf he's been an oc before and while the offense is on the field that pretty much all he is now. So he should be used to getting the plays called in a timely manner. Our last game was atrocious as far as getting the plays in.
The time management is an issue. Aside from the delay of game penalties, it can create false start and illegal shift and motion penalties as well which we saw plenty of this past year.

It was interesting, when I looked at the penalties (we were around the highest penalty total in the NFL or perhaps second) I looked at them by game. You could clearly see a very low amount of penalties in the first 4 games of the season. Once Tua got hurt, the penalties immediately spiked when he was out. When he returned, they got better again and then towards the end of the season they spiked again. We also had a lot of penalties on defense as the injuries mounted.

In my opinion, you can eliminate many of the offensive pre-snap penalties with having more time out of the huddle to your point! However, it appears that with our normal starting lineup out there, there was less of an issue with this than after the injuries started to pile up. Was it McDaniel trying to figure out the perfect play for the backup QB's, was Tua able to cover for some of the delay issues? Not sure the reason, but if McDaniel is as detailed a coach as I think he is, this will be a huge focus of his improvement in the offseason.

McDaniel’s clock management issues as well as other things that shot us in the foot consistently definitely haunted us all season.

Do you think a big reason for these issues in McDaniel’s first year was because he was more focused on looking at the play sheet and calling plays?

I’m not making that an excuse for the consistent issues by any means and we need to fix it this offseason. Just curious on what y’all think
This was his first year as a play caller and a head coach, so no doubt he learned a lot.

Biggest thing IMHO is if he’s going to call plays again next year he needs to do Be more adaptive. If they are playing their linebackers and DBS 18 yards back, then how about some slants? Or attack the hashes with the tight end, or how about more screens and passes to backs out of the backfield? I think he fell in love with the deep ball and once teams figured that out, he didn’t adapt as well as he could’ve. I’m optimistic that he‘s smart enough to do that next year. He will learn from all of his mistakes and be better where he made errors this year next year. If not, then he needs to hire an offensive coordinator.

it is possible he could promote Bevell as he may get poached away as an ocoordinator, but we’ll see…

Shock horror probe
Stop Press
Man doing job for first time made some mistakes, made some good decisions
Will get better with experience and help

That’ll be an Omar exclusive in a day or two

This was his first year as a play caller and a head coach, so no doubt he learned a lot.

Biggest thing IMHO is if he’s going to call plays again next year he needs to do Be more adaptive. If they are playing their linebackers and DBS 18 yards back, then how about some slants? Or attack the hashes with the tight end, or how about more screens and passes to backs out of the backfield? I think he fell in love with the deep ball and once teams figured that out, he didn’t adapt as well as he could’ve. I’m optimistic that he‘s smart enough to do that next year. He will learn from all of his mistakes and be better where he made errors this year next year. If not, then he needs to hire an offensive coordinator.

it is possible he could promote Bevell as he may get poached away as an ocoordinator, but we’ll see…
It was his first year so the opportunity to learn a lot is there. The last 3 Dolphin coaches to have winning records their first seasons (Saban, Sparano, Gase) the first season was their high water mark. Coach progression isn't necessarily a linear thing.

I think that there is a real opportunity for Mike McDaniel to improve his play-calling. In my opinion he was too aggressive on too many calls. Sometimes it came off but there was not enough pragmatism. He should also look at how Jaylen Waddle made a lot of plays in 2021 as a rookie. Far too often he left the Ferrari parked in the garage. Ditto, Mike Gesicki (who will probably depart). I like Mike McDaniel and expect that if he's honest, he knows that his play calling has to improve. I'm also optimistic that it will.

Anyone else heard about him vaping on the sidelines during games?
Lol. He wasn’t vaping. He was blowing into his hand and people mistook his sharpie as a vape. Don’t believe everything you read on the internet.

Back
Top Bottom