McGlockton signs with the Jets | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

McGlockton signs with the Jets

Quotes From today's NY Daily News:

"The Jets better hope McGlockton spends the money on salad and Slim-Fast. They refused to reveal his weight  "It's up there," coach Herman Edwards said  but a source said it's close to 375. " :lol:

"McGlockton, who turns 34 in September, is so out of shape he won't accompany the team on its five-day trip to Tokyo, where the Jets open the preseason Aug. 2 against the Bucs. He will stay behind to work on his conditioning. There's also a good chance he will miss the second game.

McGlockton, a four-time Pro Bowl selection with the Raiders in the mid-1990s, won't participate in full-scale workouts when the Jets open training camp Monday at Hofstra. He's not in practice shape, let alone game shape."

"McGlockton didn't participate in an offseason program, which explains the extra flab. After being released by the Broncos last February, he considered retiring to run his Fatburger fast-food franchises in Denver"
- Maybe he should stay as far away from fast food as possible, no? :lol:

"McGlockton's arrival could spark a mini-controversy. Before signing, he insisted on wearing his old number, 91, which belongs to Evans. Edwards may have to intervene." - Ah...nothing like being a malcontent from the get-go, huh? Way to go Jetsies...nice pickup! :lol:

His departure has barely registered a blip on the radar screen in Denver. He will not be missed here, nor should anyone in N.Y. be excited.

Originally posted by Surferosa
Folks, this is a terriffic signing for the Jets. One year, paracitally no signing bonus and a ton of upside. If he regains his old form, they walk away with a pro bowl caliber DT that can change the face of a game. If hes a lazy malcontent, then hell sit on the bench while Ferguson and Robertson man the middle.

I dont get you guys.

Well, this might help put the finger on the button:

Jets | McGlockton Won't Be Ready by Training Camp - from www.KFFL.com
Wed, 16 Jul 2003 07:04:08 -0700

The Bergen Record reports New York Jets DT Chester McGlockton will not be ready to practice when training camp begins Monday, July 21. According to Jets head coach Herman Edwards, McGlockton has not been in an off-season program in over 2 months.

This tells me a lot. He didn't do anything this offseason which says that he wasn't even considering either playing or giving any effort during the offseason. Lazy? Eh, thats one word you could use. But I don't see this signing being anything other then a mistake waiting to happen.

Agree with CK, Martin is a banger but he will be pushed for playing time by LaMont Jordan.

Originally posted by ckparrothead
Just because Curtis Martin doesn't create a bunch of highlight reel Barry Sanders runs, doesn't mean the guy isn't very very very good. He is extremely good, extremely quick, excellent at changing directions, great hands, and his instincts and body control are some of the best in the entire NFL bar none.

Sorry but you're just way off Rude.

I just do not see it when he plays.. He's nothing special.. If he was he would be putting up alot more yards with all those carries with that Offensive Line.. I'm not going to bring up any stats or anything.. This is just about how I feel when I see him play.. Nothing special to me..

Ok so i'll bring up some stats, I feel like most of the posters on this board that Curtis Martin is UNDERATED

1998 - PRESENT NYJ 6,562 YARDS, 39 TDS

1998 - 1287 YARDS
1999 - 1464 YARDS
2000 - 1204 YARDS
2001- 1513 YARDS
2002 1094 YARDS

WITH THE JETS HE IS NUMBER 2 ON THE ALL TIME LIST , AND THE PATS HE IS NUMBER FOUR ON THE ALL TIME LIST.

To say that Curtis Martin is nothing special is absurd, I might be wrong on this stat but Curtis Martin is the only back in NFL History to rush for more then 1200 yards for seven consective years...

but this is my opinion you are entitled to yours as well rudebyallmeans...

Agree with CK, Martin is a banger but he will be pushed for playing time by LaMont Jordan.

No offense Marcus, but I dont think you're agreeing with me TOO much, cuz I don't think there's any way in sam he|| that Lamont Jordan is able to push a guy like Curtis Martin for playing time.

Anyway, this news about McGlockton is just plain HILARIOUS. I cant wait to see how the Jets fans spin this one. The guy hasn't been working out for 2 months, is up to 375 lbs, and he's so out of shape he cant even PRACTICE!!! Let alone play in preseason games. But oh yeah the Phins need to be REAL worried about this one! Hahaha.

Ruddy and Perry will have no problems with this fat slob whatsoever. When they faced Denver, they had a lot of other things to worry about and it wasn't McGlockton that was responsible for stopping Ricky. It had a lot more to do with the rest of that DL and those very fast and aggressive linebackers. Their linebackers are so aggressive and penetrating it should have made them susceptible to play-action but our passing game wasn't up to scratch in 2002.

What I find funny too is the original article that Clayton wrote...

"Desperate for help at defensive tackle, the New York Jets signed former Broncos defensive tackle Chester McGlockton to a one-year, $780,000 contract.

The deal included a $25,000 signing bonus.

Defensive tackle Josh Evans' indefinite drug suspension and the likely holdout of first-round draft choice Dewayne Robertson created the Jets' serious need for a veteran tackle."

So not only are the Jets going to miss McGlockton for a good part of training camp because he is not in "practice shape" and not only will he miss 2 preseason games...but Dwayne Robertson is EXPECTED to hold out from training camp as well.

Conditioning at the DT position for the Jets will be at an all-time low I guess.

This thread is strangely mixing comments on one of the most underrated and one of the most overrated players of the last decade. Curtis Martin is a warrior, and we would love him if he was a phin. McGlockton is a player that would have been perfect for Shula's last Dolphin team (great talent, no desire).

Originally posted by RUDEbyallMEANS

I just do not see it when he plays.. He's nothing special.. If he was he would be putting up alot more yards with all those carries with that Offensive Line.. I'm not going to bring up any stats or anything.. This is just about how I feel when I see him play.. Nothing special to me..

I know EXACTLY what you're saying; just watching him, he looks like nothing special. I made the identical comment several years back when he was with the Patsies. But somehow, SOMEWAY, the guy manages to get the yards, even though he looks awfully unspectacular doing it. Credit to CM there.

Let me clue all present about Chet McCancer. While he was in KC, I and many of my Chiefs brethren called him "1st and 5" McGlockton because of his ability to jump offsides 4 or 5 times a game. He can be dominant when he is focused and tries but that is rarely the case. Generally, he only tries to play in about half of the plays he participates in. He is also a locker room cancer. The only good news for the Jets is that they got him cheap. Maybe Edwards can motivate the tub of goo but I seriously doubt it.

I feel better now. Not only from the above post.....but because Mad Dog was going on about how UNimpressed he was by this move. :)

Originally posted by Muck
I feel better now. Not only from the above post.....but because Mad Dog was going on about how UNimpressed he was by this move. :)
in his immortal words, AU-RIGHT!

Hehe....Mad Dog was pretty good today. Says he's extremely fired up about the Phins. Said he couldn't wait to let out a "AU-RIGHT MIAMI". :)

Back
Top Bottom