McKnight is just taking up a Roster Spot. | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

McKnight is just taking up a Roster Spot.

"Baker ~ Talented enough to win the #2 NEXT SEASON."

Are you kidding me!? I was happy to see him make his first NFL reception last season (one of probably few), but he didnt do squat after that and he was the #4 WR! ....Hype like this can really mislead finfans.....Hes one of the best scrubs overseas, but he'll be lucky to even get #4 here.

Originally posted by Dude
The only problem I have w/ McKnight is his salary. He did play well last year, but is he woth his $1.9M salary cap figure. I say no!

Cut/Trade McDrop
Sign OG or silimal June 1 WR for close to NFL min
Use extra $800K to get a backup LT like Webb

1. Chambers
2. Thompson
3. OG
4. Tolver

:thewave:

Yes lets cut one productive WR for 2 old backup scrubs who can no longer perform at a starter level. Webb's done. He'll be lucky to sign with anyone. Only way he's getting even a backup job now is if someone goes down with injury. O.G is a malcontent with a bum wrist and toes who was avg 20 yards less a game in the #2 role then McKnight was.

Originally posted by VanDolPhan

Yes lets cut one productive WR
Productive? I would say McKnight is servicable not productive. Productive means to produce - Last year which was his best with us he had only 2 TD's in 9 starts (not to mention that he came off the bench as a #3 in 6 other games) and only 29 catches. Then we can talk about his history of drops in clutch situtations - a reputation he came to us with and lived up to!

for 2 old backup scrubs who can no longer perform at a starter level
Which explains why I had them listed as BACKUPS

Webb's done. He'll be lucky to sign with anyone
The problem w/ Webb is he wants to be paid as a starter. If he would accept a min deal as a backup he would be on our team already. DW said this in an interview a month or so ago.

We need a LT w/ experience to be an emergency BACKUP and tutor the young guys. Webb would fill that role nicely depending on salary.

O.G is a malcontent with a bum wrist and toes
Malcontent - nothing new. His agent has done a couple of bone head things that never ended up hurting him. Remember as a exclusive rights free agent when he sat out of camp for a couple of days holding out for a new contract and DW yelled at him in an interview... he still started.
Bum Wrist - an injury most players recover from and he is reported 100% healed (Agent MD I'm sure, but still...)
Toes - nothing new - OG makes his rep w/ his size, jumping ability and great hands not his blazing speed.

who was avg 20 yards less a game in the #2 role then McKnight was
Over what convenient time frame? It's not to hard to find a stat to prove anything - here's mine: In 2001 they each had 55 catches and McKinght had only 8 more yards. Not worth 3-4 times the salary to me.

Anything else?

Oh yeah - Have a nice day! :)

Go back and look at the chargers game from last year...Heck look at the Pats game..McKnight is a play maker...If we exhibit confidence in him, I think he will reward our patients..He's pretty good...I wish we would let the balt. game of 2001 go..He's moved on..and so should we..He's paid his dues for 2001, now give him a chance to continue what he started last year.

Don't get me wrong, despite the tone of my posts, I like McKnight. Even with the drops he definatly has skills and shows flashes of being great.

The problem is the salary. Would you rather have McKnight at his cap price of almost $2M or OG for a 2-3 year deal at close to the min; maybe $700K. $2M for a questionable #2 WR?

Even if you can convince me McKnight is better then OG is he THAT much better? No Way!

I won't try to convince you, that's up to McKnight...If he continues to improve upon what he did last year, hewill be worth every penny..and no I wouldn't want OG for 2-3 years, just this one..maybe..only at number three..not starting..he's brings nothing starting..he's a good security blanket on 3rd downs, but no thread to teams on 1st and 2nd. Plus I've seen Thompson do the same things as OG, but with better speed..I live in MD..and watch the Redskins when I can't see the phins play..and believe me, we have a good receiver in Thompson.

Originally posted by MDFINFAN
I won't try to convince you, that's up to McKnight...If he continues to improve upon what he did last year, hewill be worth every penny..and no I wouldn't want OG for 2-3 years, just this one..maybe..only at number three..not starting..he's brings nothing starting..he's a good security blanket on 3rd downs, but no thread to teams on 1st and 2nd. Plus I've seen Thompson do the same things as OG, but with better speed..I live in MD..and watch the Redskins when I can't see the phins play..and believe me, we have a good receiver in Thompson.

I agree with everything except expecting McKnight to build on last year. He's going on his 6th year in the league, he should have 'it' by now...

The only reason I say OG 2-3 years is I don't think he will sign a min 1 year deal. He needs a multi year contract (even with a low Signing bonus) to save face.

I don't think we'll give him a signing bonus..caps reasons now...and I think McKnight might be one of those late bloomers..and I hope he sneaks upon everyone this year...We could use the shot in the arm...

Id have to agree with that. Both Sage and Thompson have been hot topics here in Washington DC ..... As far as Mcknight ,his price is high but he is faster and a lot healther that OG.....Id like to keep him around for atleast this year then take another look at his price.

Actually I think the plan all along has been to stall until the June 1 cuts then make the decision on OG. Who knows, maybe someone better will become available...

This whole debate, just like the QB controversy, is moot.

At the end of preseason DW will (should) pick the best 5 receivers. It's all about the competition. Let the players prove who's best.

Originally posted by Miamian
This whole debate, just like the QB controversy, is moot.

At the end of preseason DW will (should) pick the best 5 receivers. It's all about the competition. Let the players prove who's best.

You may be right..:lol: Any way good point and really is how the game should be played...but when you got salary cap implications
that don't always turn out to be true..ie..Baker had a great preseason..but players under contract with signing bonuses and things like that also affect who the coaches keep.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ah were playing the cut the post up game. Goodie.

Productive? I would say McKnight is servicable not productive. Productive means to produce - Last year which was his best with us he had only 2 TD's in 9 starts (not to mention that he came off the bench as a #3 in 6 other games) and only 29 catches. Then we can talk about his history of drops in clutch situtations - a reputation he came to us with and lived up to!

427 yards or so in the 7 or 8 games where he actually got to play as the #2 WR. Compared to O.G's 228 yards in 6 games and 4 of those games O.G had less then 27 yards receiving. Don't spout off if you don't know what your talking about. He wasn't the #3 in ANY games. That was Wards spot as Ward had previously been clutch in 3rd down situations. Oops.....so much for history. It's just that.........HISTORY. So your 2001 stuff don't mean crap to me since things change from one year to the next.

Which explains why I had them listed as BACKUPS

The problem w/ Webb is he wants to be paid as a starter. If he would accept a min deal as a backup he would be on our team already. DW said this in an interview a month or so ago.

We need a LT w/ experience to be an emergency BACKUP and tutor the young guys. Webb would fill that role nicely depending on salary.

And again I point out you don't cut possible starters to sign obvious backups. The simple fact is that Webb is still out there and McKnights salary makes NO difference on whether we can sign a vet min salary. So don't use McKnight as your scapegoat for the fact that we can pick Webb up anytime we want as no team thinks he's got even enough to be a backup left.

Malcontent - nothing new. His agent has done a couple of bone head things that never ended up hurting him. Remember as a exclusive rights free agent when he sat out of camp for a couple of days holding out for a new contract and DW yelled at him in an interview... he still started.
Bum Wrist - an injury most players recover from and he is reported 100% healed (Agent MD I'm sure, but still...)
Toes - nothing new - OG makes his rep w/ his size, jumping ability and great hands not his blazing speed.

Where did you hear this magical healing since he was just cleared to try out for teams a few weeks ago. O.G has nearly the same problem as McDuffie did with his toes and now on top of it teams aren't sure about his surgically repaired wrist. See you can get away with some malcontent behaviour when your producing but it only goes so far and O.G pushed it. He also pushed it when he wasn't producing and it's been quite widely published about how incompetent his agent is and how him and Spielman don't get along.

You should take the clue when Jacksonville had him try out and they didn't sign him. Their WR situation is in far worse shape then us (hell donald hayes is their projected #2).

Over what convenient time frame? It's not to hard to find a stat to prove anything - here's mine: In 2001 they each had 55 catches and McKinght had only 8 more yards. Not worth 3-4 times the salary to me.

Hello again with the past references which points me back to the comment about dribbling media slave. Duh it's widely known he had an offseason in 2001 that helped lead to his benching in 2002. The world of the NFL only matters about what your doing now and what James McKnight did was earn himself the #2 spot even if O.G. were to come back. So it's his job to lose. If he loses it then oh well.

Anything else?

Oh yeah - Have a nice day! :)

Right back at ya. Come back when you at least got the facts like who our #3 WR was last year. You simply can't argue something since obviously Wanny is apparently quite willing to let O.G sit and die on the FA market and hand the #2 job to McKnight for training camp.

Back
Top Bottom