McKnight is just taking up a Roster Spot. | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

McKnight is just taking up a Roster Spot.

Originally posted by VanDolPhan
427 yards or so in the 7 or 8 games where he actually got to play as the #2 WR. Compared to O.G's 228 yards in 6 games and 4 of those games O.G had less then 27 yards receiving. Don't spout off if you don't know what your talking about. He wasn't the #3 in ANY games. That was Wards spot as Ward had previously been clutch in 3rd down situations. Oops.....so much for history. It's just that.........HISTORY. So your 2001 stuff don't mean crap to me since things change from one year to the next.

From Miami Dolphins.com on McKnight:
2002 -- For the season finished with 29 catches, ranked second on the team in reception yardage with 528 yards and had two touchdowns... Added seven rushes for 58 yards... Started nine times, played in a reserve role six times and was inactive once...

thats 9 games as a starter (#2) and 6 as a reserve that's as a #3 or #4 WR - so he actually played in 15 games and yes in many of the 6 reserve games he played the #3 spot, but even if you only count the ones where he started as you want to he still isn't impressive. 29 catches is 3.2 a game divided over the the 9 starts. and that means he got nothing the 6 games as a reserve. And with all 2 touchdowns in 9 starts. Not Impressive. And did I mention the drops?

Don't spout off if you don't know what your talking about.
I reserve the right to speak out of my ass anythime I see fit. :lol: (even though I backed it up here)

It's just that.........HISTORY. So your 2001 stuff don't mean crap to me since things change from one year to the next.
So now 2002 is history as well and it doesn't mean anything.

And again I point out you don't cut possible starters to sign obvious backups
I don't see McKnight as a starter, I think Thompson can beat him out in camp. So if he drops to #3 (a backup) it makes sence to cut him for the salary cap gain.

The simple fact is that Webb is still out there and McKnights salary makes NO difference on whether we can sign a vet min salary.
No that is not a fact, actually it is incorrect. McKnight's salary does matter, because as I mentioned Webb will not sign for the min. It will take decent backup money to eventually sign him and a small signing bonus. The problem is he wants starter money. If there is not a rash of injuries around the camps he will realize he will only be a backup and come around.

the fact that we can pick Webb up anytime we want as no team thinks he's got even enough to be a backup left.
Again with the opinion facts. Not true, if he lowers his price there will be several teams interested.

Where did you hear this magical healing since he was just cleared to try out for teams a few weeks ago.
At that time his agent declared he was 100% healthy.

O.G has nearly the same problem as McDuffie did with his toes and now on top of it teams aren't sure about his surgically repaired wrist.
It's been that way since we signed him 5 years ago and he's been good enough to be the starter.

See you can get away with some malcontent behaviour when your producing but it only goes so far and O.G pushed it. He also pushed it when he wasn't producing and it's been quite widely published about how incompetent his agent is and how him and Spielman don't get along.
Actually he did get away with it he just wasn't smart enough to pounce on it. After all the crap his agent pulled and whatever, his power play with the Dolphins did work. By holding whether or not he was going to play with the injury over the Fins head did get him a multiyear contract w/ a $750K SB, but his agent was too greedy to accept it.
And yes, lots of people including myself think his agent is an idiot.

You should take the clue when Jacksonville had him try out and they didn't sign him. Their WR situation is in far worse shape then us (hell donald hayes is their projected #2).
Again as with Webb, the problem is money. Not if, but when OG lowers his asking price to near the min there are several teams that will be interested. New England has reported to have an offer on the table for the min w/ him. It's all about the salary cap.

Hello again with the past references which points me back to the comment about dribbling media slave. Duh it's widely known he had an offseason in 2001 that helped lead to his benching in 2002. The world of the NFL only matters about what your doing now and
My point about 2001 stats is that stats can me made to tell any story. How important are they? Who knows, I look at it that he had a whole year to impress and didn't! The personal problems are just another issue to consider.

what James McKnight did was earn himself the #2 spot even if O.G. were to come back. So it's his job to lose. If he loses it then oh well.
Well that's one thing I agree with you on. If OG was to be added into the mix he would get beat out by McKnight. But not by much, and not for the #2 spot, for the #3. I still think Thompson will be the #2 at latest by the bye week:
1) Chambers
2) Thompson
3) McKnight
4) OG
I could live with that line up.

Right back at ya. Come back when you at least got the facts like who our #3 WR was last year. You simply can't argue something since obviously Wanny is apparently quite willing to let O.G sit and die on the FA market and hand the #2 job to McKnight for training camp.
We will sign a vet WR. Either OG OR a June 1 guy. Which was my original post.

Whew! Too much typing... Without real football, arguing football is the only thing that gets me through the offseason.

Last edited by a moderator:
im sick of everyone getting so high on our Europe receivers. If they can do that in the NFL then you can get hyped. but they can't. they are doing it against lower talented players. thats like the texans saying hey we are better then the bengals. does that make the texans good?

Originally posted by Dude
From Miami Dolphins.com on McKnight:
2002 -- For the season finished with 29 catches, ranked second on the team in reception yardage with 528 yards and had two touchdowns... Added seven rushes for 58 yards... Started nine times, played in a reserve role six times and was inactive once...

thats 9 games as a starter (#2) and 6 as a reserve that's as a #3 or #4 WR - so he actually played in 15 games and yes in many of the 6 reserve games he played the #3 spot, but even if you only count the ones where he started as you want to he still isn't impressive. 29 catches is 3.2 a game divided over the the 9 starts. and that means he got nothing the 6 games as a reserve. And with all 2 touchdowns in 9 starts. Not Impressive. And did I mention the drops?

You couldn't mention the drops cause you speak out your rear end. We went through this last week and only one person could come up with any actual drops and they had to scour game tape from all year to find any. How about the guys who have posted here the ACTUAL stats showing McKnight in the top 10 for ball control?

Ok going merely by the GS rule you put out (even though that counts if you start in a 3 or 4 WR set) he had 469 yards in 9 games started for a 52.1 avg and an approx 833 yard avg played out over a full season. That alone would beat out ANY year O.G ever played.

Ok so you also want to argue TD's. Well your man O.G had ZERO in 6 games. That's right. A big fat nothing ZERO to go along with his 228 yards a game where 4 of those games he had less then 27 yards receiving. Ok how about your year before since your so into history. Oops. 674 yards receiving and only 3 TD's over the entire year. He had SEVEN games under 30 yards receiving that year.

And people wonder why I am not an O.G fan.

And again McKnight was NOT the #3 WR at any point this season. The #3 was the slot guy who was Ward. The only time McKnight saw the field when he wasn't the #2 was as the #4. You can count how many times we went 4 wide on your hands because we rarely did it and some of those times we did it was a reverse to McKnight

As much as McKnight has dissapointed us at times, he knows the system and does have 2 seasons with Fiedler... If we were to go with Chambers, Tolver, Thompson, Baker, and Newsome, we'd have only 1 WR with experience PLAYING in this Offense... I don't feel comfortablke with that... If Thompson and Tolver are the real deals for us, their play will put McKnight on the bench...

Originally posted by Flipper34
im sick of everyone getting so high on our Europe receivers. If they can do that in the NFL then you can get hyped. but they can't. they are doing it against lower talented players. thats like the texans saying hey we are better then the bengals. does that make the texans good?
\

Ever hear of Troy Brown ? :D Marino1983

Re: Re: McKnight is just taking up a Roster Spot.

Originally posted by ChambersOwnz84

:lol:

I don't know why you laughing because this is a guy has the talent to be a good WR period.He can obviusly tear up 2nd and 3rd stringers in preseason in the NFL just like he does in NFLE.There no doubt on my mind Baker from what I've seen can become a productive WR in this league.The WR position going to get intresting in training and preseason when you throw in Baker and Newsom (I'm rooting for both to earn roster spot.).

Originally posted by T-ROCK
As much as McKnight has dissapointed us at times, he knows the system and does have 2 seasons with Fiedler... If we were to go with Chambers, Tolver, Thompson, Baker, and Newsome, we'd have only 1 WR with experience PLAYING in this Offense... I don't feel comfortablke with that... If Thompson and Tolver are the real deals for us, their play will put McKnight on the bench...

Nope, Baker played in this system last year..His first reception as a pro was in the SD game..so he knows this offense. But I agree. we should keep Mcknight..McKnight would put more fear in defenses backs than any other WR on this roster, except for CC. And Mcknight's YAC are better than CC.

As much as i dont like McKnight.. im over this arguement. I could live with him on our roster but i do agree that he is getting way too much money. I just dont think he should be a starter. If we are going with 2 set WR's like everyone is saying, it should be chambers and Thompson.. i like Tolver on our team and i can LIVE with McKnight. As ive mentioned recently after really reading into what he has done.. 2001 sucked a$$ for him.. but he did improve last year. If i see more improvement.. then i will not be so down on him. But at least he made more of a difference last year.

This post doesnt mean i like him though!

I have to admit that I have yelled at McKnight a few times over the years, particularly for the flub against the Jets (2001), the one where he just flat out put the ball on the ground aganst the Bears (2002), and I think he dropped one stretching for a first down against the Seahawks (2001) but that may have been a different receiver. I was in London for the Ravens game where he dropped the deep ball, so I can't speak for that one. I will say this much, however.....we were beaten soundly by the Jets (24-0) and the Ravens (20-3), so you can't single him out for those games. Sure, the momentum would have been different, but the bottom line is the whole team was awful in both those games. As for the other two flubs I mentioned, well, we won both of those games (Seattle 24-20 and Chicago 27-9). So, based on those mistakes, at least, he hasn't cost us a game yet. I have to admit he does get on my nerves sometimes, but all receivers make mistakes! One thing I do have a problem with is people saying he was our best receiver last year. Sure, you can project his stats over the whole season and they are better than Chambers', but keep in mind Chambers spent half the season recovering from that cheap shot in Denver. Also, once Gadsden went down, Chambers became our possession receiver, and he didn't go downfield nearly as much (although he exploded in the Oakland game). I support McKnight because he wears a Dolphins uniform, and I think he will continue to improve, because players historically have done so with another season in Norv's offense. I would really like to just see the players in action, and I am looking forward to the preseason for that reason. It's hard to make a judgment this early, but I would have to say that, based on what I have seen and heard, it should be Chambers, McKnight, Thompson, and Tolver for sure.....I think it would be worth keeping Gadsden for the minimum, along with one of our Europe guys, unless we only keep 5 receivers. If that is the case then it is just too early to tell for sure. We just need to see some FOOTBALL, and the season can't start soon enough! I have a great feeling about this year.

The biggest point I can make from 2002:

When OG was starting we were winning and looking unstopable.

With McKnight we struggled.

Bottom Line!

Originally posted by DolphinzD
One thing I do have a problem with is people saying he was our best receiver last year. Sure, you can project his stats over the whole season and they are better than Chambers', but keep in mind Chambers spent half the season recovering from that cheap shot in Denver. Also, once Gadsden went down, Chambers became our possession receiver, and he didn't go downfield nearly as much (although he exploded in the Oakland game). I support McKnight because he wears a Dolphins uniform, and I think he will continue to improve, because players historically have done so with another season in Norv's offense. ,

based on what I have seen and heard, it should be Chambers, McKnight, Thompson, and Tolver for sure.....I think it would be worth keeping Gadsden for the minimum, along with one of our Europe guys, unless we only keep 5 receivers. If that is the case then it is just too early to tell for sure. We just need to see some FOOTBALL, and the season can't start soon enough! I have a great feeling about this year.

I cant say how much i agree with the first part up there.. it really upsets me when people say he was our best last year. I dont agree. I think Chambers was and would have been WAY better if not for that horrible head shot in Denver. But hey.. its only my opinion.

Originally posted by Dude
The biggest point I can make from 2002:

When OG was starting we were winning and looking unstopable.

With McKnight we struggled.

Bottom Line!

Pfft. Now were scrapping the bottom of the barrel. Nah it couldn't have been cause of Lucas. Or McMicheal hitting the rookie wall or Chris Carter being rushed in. Or the fact that Ward sucked a big fat one. Nope all McKnights fault.

Amazing how much everyone wanted Konrad back and that Konrad isn't overpaid. Gee didn't he drop a few balls and fumble twice also?

It's called scapegoat people.

I personally think Kondrad isnt all that great! He has dropped a few balls and he shouldnt be paid as he is! I will say he is a great blocker.. (still not worth the money though)

Back
Top Bottom