McKnight Screwed Again...Derrius Thompson Declared Starter | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

McKnight Screwed Again...Derrius Thompson Declared Starter

ckparrothead

Premium Member
Reaction score
http://www.palmbeachpost.com/sports...ons/saturday/sports_f3221169a590e1980094.html

DAVIE -- If the season started today, Derrius Thompson would be the Dolphins' starting wide receiver opposite Chris Chambers, ahead of Oronde Gadsden and James McKnight.

Coach Dave Wannstedt said Fridaythat Thompson, a free-agent from Washington, has done enough this off-season to earn the job.

"He deserves to be with that first group," Wannstedt said. "He's been a player since the day we signed him when free agency started. He's worked his tail off."

I don't know how this guy always manages to get in the doghouse before the PADS even come on but it would seem yet again that J-Mac is gettin screwed over by the coaches in favor of someone else.

In case you don't remember, last year about this time, Wannstedt had declared an official competition between James McKnight and Oronde Gadsden for the starting spot opposite Chambers. He had declared such before training camp started. J-Mac psyched himself up for a good healthy competition, while Oronde bytched and whined to the press about how after all he's done for this organization he should have at least one of the two spots absolutely solidified, as if it would be Chambers and McKnight battling for the 2nd spot.

Then right about this time, Wannstedt caved in under the pressure of Gadsden's whining and the locker rooms fondness for OG. He closed the competition just as training camp started. Before pads even came on...he said "Really, there was no competition, after all that Oronde's done for us he deserves the spot"

Deja vu. A matter of weeks ago Dave Wannstedt was calling James McKnight "our most consistent receiver in 2002" and pointing out the production he had when he became starter. He said he would be the starter but that Derrius and OG would battle for him.

We've had exactly ONE day of practice with pads on, and all the sudden, Derrius Thompson is the declared starter, with the understanding that he will be battled through camp by J-Mac and OG.

Ya know, this is something we all knew was gonna happen...I think something we all wanted to happen too really. But I still question the way its happened. Damn man, the way we consistently talk up and then screw over James McKnight, I don't get it...why don't we just cut him? I mean he's gotta be so p!ssed at us by now because we keep toying with him like this. It just sucks cuz I know when the day comes that he leaves the Dolphins and plays for someone else I know he's gonna talk some trash about the coaches and the time he spent here, and ya know what?

I'm not gonna be able to disagree with him!

Don't get me wrong here because I am a Mcknight fan too because of his speed.

Mcknight has had opportunity year after year to make his mark. Along the way he has dropped to many clutch catches. It's just the way the ball has bounced.

As of now, I'm all for giving the youth (Thompson) a shot a proving his worth with the starters. If consistent to average is all we are looking for, well we know we can find that in Mcknight.

I don't think it even matters about this competition though. I think once the season starts if Tolver gets on the field he will take over number 2. You don't put up that many catches with that kind of yardage in college unless your a gamer.

And Gadsden....I could care less if he gets cut. A holdout and out of shape. A great combination. As far as I'm concerned he burned the last bridge he had with the organization. Go make some shirts for the team.

I think the DT and CC combo would be more versatile than the CC and JM combo.....If Chambers is going to be the deep guy then we need a big "hands" receiver on the other side.....JM and CC bring too much of the same thing to the table.

I like McKnight working the slot, He should be able to torch most teams' third corners easily.

I am w/inFin that DT and CC are our best combo out there. We need CC to be the guy to stretch the field and get the reverses; and DT or the #2 guy to be the guy the knows how to get open and make the big catch on 3rd down; but does drop easy passes or fumble for no reason.

Having said that Wanne did say
But Wannstedt made it clear that this does not mean Thompson will start the Sept. 7 season opener against Houston.

"There's going to be some fierce competition," Wannstedt said. "It's going to take care of itself."
so DT will coast to a starting job ag Houston

I guess McKnight was'nt so dumb after all for not restructuring his contract this past spring. Good for him.

Personally, I don't care WHO our best combo is, I want them out there, playing. I think in theory the concept of the posession receiver and all around threat is a good combination, which sounds more like Chamber and someone other than Mcknight, but I think McK played well last season.

However, let's remember that the statement was 'if the season started today' not 'DT is our starter.' Plenty of Training Camp left for people to show their stuff.

Beat me to it, X. DT is not the starter. Neither is McK. Simply a where it stands right now.

That said, I expect Thompson to start. Just a better lineup IMO.

I have thought for a long time that Thompson should be the starter, but I think it is completely wrong to do it like this. I think the fairest way to determine the second starter at WR would be to have a competition for it during training camp. This is just plain stupidity from Wannstedt, however, I hope it can motivate McKnight since I think he is a good WR.

Originally posted by inFINSible
I think the DT and CC combo would be more versatile than the CC and JM combo.....If Chambers is going to be the deep guy then we need a big "hands" receiver on the other side.....JM and CC bring too much of the same thing to the table.

I like McKnight working the slot, He should be able to torch most teams' third corners easily.

thats the ticket.

Originally posted by iceblizzard69
I have thought for a long time that Thompson should be the starter, but I think it is completely wrong to do it like this. I think the fairest way to determine the second starter at WR would be to have a competition for it during training camp. This is just plain stupidity from Wannstedt, however, I hope it can motivate McKnight since I think he is a good WR.

nope. its just the way norv wants it now, dont worry, mcnight will get his reps. going long. mcnight will be asked to make one or two big catches a game.

McKnight should be the starter. I don't know how other teams deal with The uncertainty at WR or how their depth charts look but McKnight made alot of big 3rd down catches last year. He always steps up in big games late in the season. Look at the Minn. play by play. 2-10-MIA30 (12:37) J. Fiedler pass to J. McKnight to MIA 41 for 11 yards (K.Mixon).
1-10-MIA41 (11:54) J. Fiedler pass to C. Chambers for 59 yards, TOUCHDOWN
1-20-MIN34 (5:18) J. Fiedler pass to J. McKnight to MIN 20 for 14 yards (E.Kelly).
2-6-MIN20 (4:37) J. Fiedler pass to J. McKnight to MIN 11 for 9 yards (B.Williams).
People blaming fumbles on McKnight and dropped passes don't blame Williams for Fumbles. I mean you're giving McKnight the shaft.
But McKnight will get his playing time. You really cant tell about coaches quotes during training camp. There's a Wanny quote in the Sentinel saying that Jay and Brian will get equal first team snaps as well as Sammy and Arturo.

3rd downs

No reason why McKnight's not starting would have any affect on his production in that area.....as he'd be on the field anyway (3# WR).

Well the coaching staff knows what they will get from McKnight. He is an avg wr and isnt goin to improve anymore as he's over 30 now(probably more decline, at best more of the same). He's still on the team and can always be brought back in if Thompson isnt what the coaching staff thinks he is so it seems like the logical move IMO. Also I really dont like McKnight, but I guess u guys have seen that already:)

things can change from now till opening day. Anyway, it doesn't matter who starts at WR all that much, the 3rd guy will get playing time too. We'll run on first down more anyway so we need the best blockers out there on 1st down to help blocking down field.

Ozzy rules!!

From what I have seen from QB's schools,Thompson looks like the best choice to line opposite of Chambers.

Back
Top Bottom