McKnight Screwed Again...Derrius Thompson Declared Starter | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

McKnight Screwed Again...Derrius Thompson Declared Starter

.....and please don't let this be an attack on another poster.....you already have one warning, the next one gets you banned for a week....

Look... DT IS FAST, not fast for his size, he is fast... period. He may not have McKnight speed, but there is ALOT more to being a successful receiver than just having a 4.3 40.

Thompson is an inch taller than MckNight AND outweighs him by 20 pounds... now what does that tell you? That immediately says 2 things to me:

1.) With good technique he is likely to be less suceptible to being knocked off pattern by bump coverage than McKnight.

2.) With good technique he is likely to be a more effective blocker than McKnight...

Its already clear Thompson's hands are at least as good as McKnight's. He is Gadsden with speed, he is McKnight with size and strength... I'm afraid that McKnight will have to do more than run good routes and catch balls to beat Darrius...

...and unless he can grow an inch, gain 20 pounds, and not lose his speed then, 84 and 88 are gonna be lining up opposite each other on Sundays as #1 and #2.

And quite frankly I cant wait!

Last edited by a moderator:
This is the point....40 times mean nothing vs. a press cover. Put someone on the line in his face to take away his first step speed, make it more of a top end contest, and McKnight may have some trouble then.

Look at wr size, Gadsden and Thompson are somewhat bigger in comparison and thus can fit the true #1 wr mold that Norv had with Irvin and has looked for ever since.

As for Wanny being pressured by lockerroom for his qb decision... he did the same thing with Ray Lucas last year when Kustok showed better arm and pocket presence with limited reps.

You have not even faced a preaseason opponent, Wanny is using the start order to motivate, it will take Fielder less time to find McKnight, he can already and his backup reps w/Griese will get them assimilated in the same fashion that Fiedler gaining confidence in Thompson will. Perhaps wanny sees these number two guys as interchangeable on both levels...the dropoff from qb and wr to the first bench spot should be negligible for competetive depth and this is a way to keep that chemistry intact.

McKnight is great support wr, but not a true #1... finding what Thompson is made of is crucial.

I would consider Dave a fool, if he didn't name DT the starter. If you guys can only see what I've been seeing since Mini-Camp from DT. I think he will have a break out year. The guy can flat out overmuscle DB's for the ball. His speed is very underratted, if you see him play you would think he has all the speed he needs. Once again I would like to congratulate our FO because DT pick up wast the best move for the Offense in FA. I think you guys will see what I am talking about on Sat. against the Titans. DT is so smooth..

DT has some reach, he can keep press db off of him and out of hie frame, stay sqared and run or push the db off balance and gain a step to make play faster.

Chambers out for a while will let fiedler work both in. THE QB WILL MAKE THE STARTER. Whoever Jay throws to best will get the nod. Think DT shows true promise to already be mentioned. Wanny is letting his other guys know they have to step up.

Think dt as the number one, and slot in 3 wide for his size unless it is less than six yards for a first down, then he will iso and run a stop or short in/out for the chain mover. Longer distance they will spread out more with speed guys outside and let him work the middle along with your TE. Two good size middle recievers to set screen/pick routes on man unders that go to flood the straight zone routes.

DT and Randy will be Norv's bread and butter pass guys. I've got Randy on 2 of my ff teams already.

I like DT being our second stringer. Chambers and McKnight are the same style receiver. And with OG at 4th string when he comes back we have a good mix at WR...

CC-Spped
DT-Possesion
J MaC-Speed
OG-Possesion
Tolver-Possesion

Sounds good to me.

Back
Top Bottom