Meathead admits he duped Spielman | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Meathead admits he duped Spielman

nyjunc said:
yet just about every post last year was on here saying how great carey was going to be and how he immeditaly would contribute.

Go away Jet fan. You aren't needed here.

He'll be good one day.

:jetssuck: :jetssuck: :jetssuck: :jetssuck: :jetssuck:

FinsForLife007 said:

He'll be good one day.

We need him good more than 1 day :roflmao:

FinsForLife007 said:

He'll be good one day.

jets-1.gif

Mod: It is a violation of the terms of service to edit someone elses' quote. This is a warning for you. Please don't let it happen again. Thank you.

What Tice engaged in is fraud, pure and simple. The Dolphins should petition the NFL to take a 4th away from Minny and give it to them.

Honestly, how is this guy still a coach? Besides stealing a 4th from RS, the guy's a joke. Had a great talented offense that he allowed to self-destruct, is an admitted superbowl ticket scalper, blew his turn to pick in a draft, and has generally wasted the talent he's had to work with. What's he got to do to get fired?? Who's he got pictures of?

Jnaledu3 said:
Mike Tice admitted that he duped Spielman into giving up a 4th rounder to move up 1 spot iin last years draft.

How could you get fooled by this guy? Come on! Mike Tice?? Was Spielman the blind kid that Jim Carey sold the dead bird to in Dumb and Dumber?

This alone should have been enough to can Spielman. Spielman apologists should be happy that he resigned and didnt get fired.

http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/sports/football/11813825.htm

Or maybe he likes the fact, after the fact he is making himself look smarter than he really is?

Agua said:
What Tice engaged in is fraud, pure and simple. The Dolphins should petition the NFL to take a 4th away from Minny and give it to them.

It isnt fraud. Saban tried to do the same thing by saying that he was taking Braylon Edwards this year, hoping Cleveland would ante up more picks to move up to #2. Cleveland didnt fall for it, but Spielman did- and to Mike Tice of all people!

Jdnleau,

Don't tell me what fraud is until you've finished law school and practiced 12 years of law as I have. Got it? Here are the elements of fraud:

Let's compare them to Tice's alleged conduct shall we?

1. A false statement
2. of Material fact
3. that the maker knows or should know that the person to whom it is directed will rely upon
4. the person to whom it is directed does in fact rely upon it to his detriment; and
5. the reliance is reasonable; and
6. the person who relied upon it suffered loss, injury or damage.

False statement - Tice called up Spielman and said he had New England on the Phone and they were trying to trade up to get Minny's pick

Material fact - The fact that New England was trying to jump Miami to get a player they believed Miami might have targeted is material. Period.

Which the maker knows, or reasonably should have known would cause the person to whom it was directed to rely upon it - that's the only purpose of such a statement; Tice believed, or at least hoped, Spielman would rely upon the statement to fleece a draft pick out of him;

Which the person to whom it was directed did rely upon the representation - check, Spielman coughed up the 4th

The reliance was reasonable - This is the only point that may be debatable - was it reasonable to believe a professional in your field when they tell you someone is trying to jump you to move into a position? I don't know about the field you work in, but in mine if another attorney calls me up to make a representation that something has in fact happened, I would be absolutely justified in believing what they stated has happened, within limits of the language they utilized to communicate it with, of course. But a plain, unambiguous representation that X did Y?

Causing loss - yup, lost a 4th

----------------------------

As to Saban - statements of intention, as a matter of law, are never the basis for a misrepresentation act.

Agua said:
Jdnleau,

Don't tell me what fraud is until you've finished law school and practiced 12 years of law as I have. Got it? Here are the elements of fraud:

1. A false statement
2. of Material fact
3. that the maker knows or should know that the person to whom it is directed will rely upon
4. the person to whom it is directed does in fact rely upon it to his detriment; and

False statement - Tice called up Spielman and said he had New England on the Phone and they were trying to trade up to get Minny's pick

Material fact - The fact that New England was trying to jump Miami to get a player they believed Miami might have targeted is material. Period.

Which the maker knows, or reasonably should have known would cause the person to whom it was directed to rely upon it - that's the only purpose of such a statement; Tice believed, or at least hoped, Spielman would rely upon the statement to fleece a draft pick out of him;

Which the person to whom it was directed did rely upon the representation - check, Spielman coughed up the 4th

The reliance was reasonable - This is the only point that may be debatable - was it reasonable to believe a professional in your field when they tell you someone is trying to jump you to move into a position?

_----------------------------

As to Saban - statements of intention, as a matter of law, are never the basis for a misrepresentation act.

:eek: Wow, that was alot of information to digest.

Agua said:

Even more proof that Spielman's blinders-on apologists will go to any length to deny his incompetence. If it's such a great case go ahead and sue him yourself, or find a colleague who's in the proper position to do so. But please, first allow me to wager on the public reaction. And make sure to go on all the sports networks and become the biggest laughingstock of contemporary America, actually tied with the Pat Buchanons and others who claim Mark Felt was equally/more guilty of high crimes than Richard M. Nixon. It's been a hysterical week.

Awsi, I'm just telling you what the law is. Your opinion as to whether the law is right or wrong is irrelevant.

duss12 said:
I also will add this... When did Wanny ever give a chance to a rookie???

There are a couple but in what 5 years he gave maybe 2 or 3 rookies the chance to start... but I wont start getting High blood pressure thinking about that

Todd Wade started from Day 1.

Chris Chambers and Morlon Greenwood both became starters in their rookie seasons (2001).

Randy McMichael has been a fixture since Day 1 in 2002.

Wade Smith started from Day 1 in 2003.

Rex Hadnot started last season.

Most of the time, you don't expect your rookies to start. The hope is that they contribute and improve. But many times Wanny gave himself little choice because he either traded away a high pick(s) or reached for a player that just couldn't cut it.

Agua said:
Jdnleau,

1. A false statement
2. of Material fact

The reliance was reasonable - This is the only point that may be debatable - was it reasonable to believe a professional in your field when they tell you someone is trying to jump you to move into a position? I don't know about the field you work in, but in mine if another attorney calls me up to make a representation that something has in fact happened, I would be absolutely justified in believing what they stated has happened, within limits of the language they utilized to communicate it with, of course. But a plain, unambiguous representation that X did Y?

----------------------------

Aqua-
Are you sure this applies to sports? If so then a players agent telling a team that other teams have expressed interest in his client (when non have) that causes said team to raise their offer is fraud? In the draft teams always tell potential trade partners that there are others interested in the spot. So most trades would involve fraud because the team giving up the spot almost always uses this tactic.

More importantly I'm curious, if I sell a piece of real estate and I tell the buyer I have another offer that is better and that causes the buyer to raise their offer then is that fraud if we consummate a deal at the higher price (assuming I don't really have other offers)?

Back
Top Bottom