Merged 2X: Dolphins begin preliminary talks with wide receiver Chris Chambers | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Merged 2X: Dolphins begin preliminary talks with wide receiver Chris Chambers

Does this also put pressure on Oguleye to get things done? There is only so much money in the pot this year...If we resign Chambers, can we still get a reasonable compromise deal done with Ogunleye?

Does this also put pressure on Oguleye to get things done? There is only so much money in the pot this year...If we resign Chambers, can we still get a reasonable compromise deal done with Ogunleye?

I'm guessing we can. Then again at this point the front office might be planning for Ogunleye to take a one year offer then hit free agency, where we'd promptly franchise him and probably trade him for a first round pick.

The most interesting note in the article was that other than Chambers we will have no UFA's of significance next season. That could mean a "franchise" label on Wale if he only gets a one year deal or follows up on his threatened mini-holdout.

Either way, room or no room for Ogunleye, Chambers > Ogunleye.

Is Miami's goal here to get something done before the season? And does this mean Chambers doesn't have the opprtunity to put up great numbers in the season to further his value as a possible free agent?

Either way, room or no room for Ogunleye, Chambers > Ogunleye.

The problem there is that Chambers > Ogunleye means Chambers $$$ > Ogunleye $$$. If the Dolphins let it be known that their priority is Chambers over Ogun because they feel he's more valuable, his agent will jump all over that and start demanding more money than Ogun. His agent has always insisted that Chambers will command lots of $$$ on the open market and I think he's right...and the problem is that unlike Ogun, Chambers is all too willing to play out this year, risk the injury, and have a breakout year in order to get that green on the other side. That makes things tougher in their own way because whereas Rosenhaus is holding onto negotiations like a pit bull, and trying to force the DOLPHINS into a contract, Chambers agent could close shop at any moment of negotiations and be like "Nah, lets just see how the season plays out" with a big smile on his face as he knows that Chambers will have a huge year and either force the franchise tag on him or get a big $12 million signing bonus.

ckparrothead said:
I'm guessing we can. Then again at this point the front office might be planning for Ogunleye to take a one year offer then hit free agency, where we'd promptly franchise him and probably trade him for a first round pick.
Yeah, that seems to be the most likely scenario to me. If they sign Chambers then Ogun agrees to play or sits out and gets franchised next year. :shakeno: He might as well play this year out.

The Herald said:
The talks with Chambers could impact Ogunleye, who can also be an unrestricted free agent if he's on the Dolphins roster for at least six games this season.

If the Dolphins succeed in getting a deal done with Chambers, Ogunleye would be an obvious target as the team's ''franchise'' player next offseason, again limiting his ability to get a long-term deal.

At this point, the Dolphins don't have any other players who will be unrestricted free agents who are worthy of being franchised after this season.

Good, this is exactly what I've been waiting to hear.

I hope that the Dolphins' message is getting through to Drew and AO.

Play now, or your payday aint coming as soon as you think.

Plus, worst case scenario, AO is going to play two seasons under one year contracts, thus increasing his chances of injury with no longterm money....or he's going to be forced to sit almost two full seasons if he doesn't sign.

The Chambers extension would be a blessing all around.

Yay! I can't wait till they sign Chambers to a long term deal. That way I can get his jersey without fear of him going to another team next year. :D

you really think Chambers is that good, we'll see after Boston PLys how you feel about him, no doubt he was good last year compared to the crap receivers the fins had around, but I still saw the fear of going for it after the Denver hit.
I think Ogun is more valuable to a team that has a running offence.
Ogun is the player that proved himself as the best in the AFC not Chambers.

fin13 said:
you really think Chambers is that good, we'll see after Boston PLys how you feel about him, no doubt he was good last year compared to the crap receivers the fins had around, but I still saw the fear of going for it after the Denver hit.
:shakeno: See, it comes down to this: Would you rather have another good defensive player on a defense with talent in just about every spot, or would you like to have our most consistant and most talented WR who has without a doubt been a huge key to whatever offensive success we have. We're not going to find many like Chris Chambers, he's an awesome receiver, Top 5-10 quality. And, unlike a few of those receivers that are considered better than him, he'll throw his body into the fray to get a block. He's a true team player.

Phinz4Life said:
Yay! I can't wait till they sign Chambers to a long term deal. That way I can get his jersey without fear of him going to another team next year. :D

no chambers jersey yet ???? :eek: :lol:

Let me tell you I want both but as long as we don't have a clear picture of who the QB is Chambers would be under utilized and we would not have the kind of defence we need to compete, but if Feeley shows he can get the passing game going then that's were the decision would be easier, the point is bang for your buck.
I do like CC but in this offence he's like a Ferrari without gas, it looks nice on the driveway.

fin13 said:
Well lets just see how many YPC Ricky has when Chambers leaves and all the opposing defense has to do is bring 8 guys into the box and double up Boston. Chambers is far more valueable to the team, not just the offense than O-Gun is.

Back
Top Bottom